1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius battery does not seem to discharge much and has bad gas mileage

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mullenj, Feb 24, 2011.

1. mullenj

mullenj New Member

Hello all! I am hoping some people can give me some advice on a battery problem I have been having with my 2008 Prius.

Since roughly October I have been getting bad gas mileage on my 2008 Prius (35 to 40 MPG on fairly level roads doing about 100 km/h, about 60 mph). The battery is green about 40% of the time or so, even on fairly level roads, which is weird in itself, and it never lets the battery drop down from green by more than 1 or 2 bars into the blue, so it seems to stay about 80% to 100% charged all the time.

I took the Prius into the local Toyota dealership and the tech said there were a lot of error codes being generated (sorry, I do not know what the error codes are). He asked if I had killed the battery recently. In fact, the battery was killed awhile ago, I can’t remember exactly when but it was roughly last summer to spring the dome light was left on and killed the battery. The car battery was boosted according to the manual and there were no gas mileage issues after that, until roughly October. So, going by that, the tech said he reset some of the hybrid systems. What exactly was and was not reset or done, I don’t know, but I trust he did what needed to be done based on what he saw. The tech said it was also likely caused by the dead battery as that apparently can happen, so I had to pay for 1 hour of labour ($130 with taxes), even though the car is still under full warranty.

I drove the car back home on a level highway, doing about 100 km/h, and there was no change to the problem. Same gas mileage, same battery won’t discharge much issue. Half way home, I took the Prius on a side road and slowed down enough for the gas engine to kick out, and I drove it slowly so the engine stayed off to see if I could get the battery to discharge more than what I was seeing in town and on the highway. The battery did actually discharge into the purple bars, then the engine kicked in. So at least I know the batteries are at least capable of discharging into the purple bars. However, once I got back onto the highway, it charged the batteries back into green, and then stayed green most of the way home (about 20 or 30 min). The battery was fully green, right to the top, as I pulled into the garage. Definitely not right. There were no hills whatsoever on the trip that should have allowed the battery to get fully green, and then stay there for so long.

I called the Toyota dealership, and they said to give it a couple of days for the system to re-learn. Ok, fair enough, and the dealership is treating me well, so no complaints there (except for charging me for something I think should be covered under warranty, but I suppose they are just following Toyota policy). In the meantime though, I do fear the problem is not fixed and I was hoping to get some ideas from some of you. I also wanted to hear if anyone else has had similar issues after they accidently killed their battery, and if this is something that should or should not be covered under warranty. I am on the thought that a car should be able to handle boosting from a dead battery without going completely, well, wonky, for lack of a better term, and costing me $130 for servicing, but maybe this is just the way it goes with a hybrid.

Thank you,

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. How does your 35-40 mpg this winter compare to your mpg in prior winters?

2. It is important to know what DTC were logged by your car. Does the repair invoice list them?

3. Most dealers will charge you an hour of labor for looking at the car if there is no warranty issue that can be charged to Toyota. This encourages the owner to make sure there is a "real" problem before taking the car into the dealer's service dept.

4. A few other posters have related a story similar to yours, where the traction battery SOC seems to be maintained at an abnormally high level. I don't know that there's much to be done about it, until the hybrid system or traction battery warning icon appears in the MFD.

3. mullenj

mullenj New Member

Hey there!

1. The gas mileage is bad for this temperature. It does not get too cold where I am, typically -5 to 0 C. Today was an unusually cold day at -10, but it has been doing this since October.

2. Sorry, I should have listed the error codes from the invoice. They are P0852, B1421, C2315, B1200, B1207, B1271. It notes that all codes pertain to low battery voltage. It also notes “checked ISC learn status and it was incomplete. Will not complete with all codes in ECU’sâ€

3. Understandable. However, does not finding error codes in the diagnostic mean that it is a “real†problem?

4. Hmmm… hopefully there is something that can be done about it, I hate seeing my Prius get only moderately better gas mileage than my minivan :)

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    1) what are your prior averages for these temps? are you driving the same route as then?
    2) areyou in canada?
    3) not everything is covered under warranty so codes don't necessarily mean it is covered.
    4) what mileage does your minivan get?

5. mullenj

mullenj New Member

Hello! Thanks for replying.

1. I have not recorded actual averages for these temps. But I have owned this car for 3 years. 35 to 40 mpg under these conditions is low. That, with the refusal of the Prius’ system to take from the battery below about 75% battery charge under normal conditions is not normal. Running with a green battery too is not normal. It’s like the car doesn’t realize there is more battery reserves that it can take from.

2. Yes. Although it is a US Prius, imported into Canada from brand new in 2008.

3. Ok

4. The minivan is a 2004 Sienna. It’s mileage varies of course depending on driving conditions. It is getting close to the Prius in MPG, although the Prius still beats it in MPG, but really, the Prius usually exceeds the Sienna, as it should, by a long shot. Sorry, I have not tracked specific specs, but I do know my Prius MPG is way out

6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I can't speak to your codes and it does sounds like things might be amiss, but it seems like you should fill out http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...-answer-these-questions-esp-if-youre-new.html.

Do keep in mind the graph on the MFD does NOT indicate 0-100%. With the gauge is totally filled, your SoC is 75-81% (see Prius Palm Mileage Simulator). I've seen actual SoC % values on my ScanGauge and compared to the MFD.

You WILL get worse mileage in cold. In my book, -5 C to 0 C is cold and will cause significant mileage degradation.

I highly doubt your 04 Sienna (US version has a 3.3L V6) "is getting close to the Prius in MPG." Please track it, if you still have it. Per Consumer Reports testing, they got 14 mpg city/30 highway, 21 overall and 25 for a 150 mile trip. Per Most fuel-efficient cars, on the non-touring 2nd gen Prius they got: 35 city/50 highway, 44 mpg overall and 48 for a 150 mile trip.

7. mullenj

mullenj New Member

Ok, my MPG is usually 50 MPG approx for this stretch of highway I am comparing to in my above posts, even in the winter. I have had this car for 3 years, and have driven it in much worse conditions than I am describing now. I know about D and B on the shifter. The car has never been in an accident. I have original tires the car was provided with from Toyota. They are inflated to recommended specs. Toyota has looked at the vehicle to check all this, and have checked fluid levels to ensure they are within tolerance, including the oil level. I have seen that the fuel economy gets worse when it gets cold. I use the onboard computer to determine my average MPG, I do not do the calculations manually. I trust the computer is fairly accurate with this… maybe I am wrong with this assumption? I am taking into account it is -5C when I am talking that my MPG is not normal. -5C is not that cold for a Prius’ normal performance from what I have seen in 3 years. I have driven in -35 C temperatures with my Prius. Now THAT is cold :) I’m not new to what I can expect from this car performance wise. If there were no problems with it, I would expect no error codes… but there are error codes as the Toyota dealer has reported.

My Sienna does get close to my Prius in MPG, as per your Consumer Reports testing reference. 25 to 30 MPG on the highway (which sounds about right)… my Prius gets 35 to 40 MPG under the same conditions right now. But I suppose “close†is objective. I consider that close, considering the Sienna is a 6 passenger minivan (and a rather good sized one at that) with a V6 engine with absolutely no hybrid system at all… and it is 8 almost years old (bought in August 2003). I expect, and normally get, significantly more from my Prius. I love my Prius, and I have watched its performance with satisfaction over the years. There is definitely something wrong now though. Maybe it will clear in a few days as the Toyota dealer hopes. I will keep you all informed on this.

Comparing to the Sienna aside (that was just a supposedly witty comparison, hence the happy face in that post after that comparison), and my original post was never meant to compare the two, as that is like comparing apples and oranges. I was hoping to get an opinion on what might be wrong based on people’s experiences. Is this normal, after boosting a dead battery? Will the system “relearn†after the tech reset certain systems, or is there something more serious going on? If you accidently kill your battery on your Prius (e.g. dome light left on in interior), can you expect that the car’s hybrid system will be affected like this? Maybe these questions are not as easily answered as I had hoped… nothing is ever easy in life, as I have learned too many times! :) Either way, I’m hoping for some insight… and I will keep you all informed too as I learn more.

Thanks for reading my rambling post… I am trying to make it as compact as possible, yet still give the details needed for this :)

8. mikewithaprius

mikewithaprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey mullenj,

So I'll be able to better follow the thread (can't give you any help myself, sadly...), did you mean in the first post that you went to the dealer in October and the tech looked at it then, and since having it looked at it October it's been like this, or had it been terrible since October and you just brought it to the dealer like, for example, last week?

9. mullenj

mullenj New Member

Hello! Sorry, I was not clear. I have had this problem since October, and I just brought it into the dealer today, so now at least I have more information on it, including specific error codes. Yes, yes, I was in denial for a bit there (what, something wrong with MY Prius… NEVER!) :D Plus, the Prius gets used less in the winter until I get it setup with some winter tires J The Sienna takes over the tough winter jobs with its shiny new winter tires until the weather gets nice for the Prius. All the times I have reported on the Prius’ performance has been on dry, bare pavement.

1 person likes this.
  10. Joe 26

Joe 26 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    12v battery issue?

11. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    DTC P0852 "Park/Neutral Input Circuit High". This is logged by the hybrid vehicle ECU and indicates a problem with the P switch, the associated wiring harness or the hybrid vehicle ECU.

DTC C2315 "HV System Malfunction". This is logged by the Transmission Control ECU and also indicates a problem with the P switch.

DTC B1421 "Solar Sensor Circuit". This indicates a potential open or short in the air conditioning solar sensor although this code may be bogus if DTC is retrieved in a dark area.

DTC B1200 "Body ECU Communication Stop". Communication between the multiplex network body ECU and gateway ECU interrupted.

DTC B1207 "Smart ECU Communication Stop". Communication between the Smart ECU and gateway ECU interrupted.

DTC B1271 "Combination ECU Communication Stop". Communication between the combination meter and the gateway ECU interrupted.

I would not say that these DTC are typically logged just because of a bad 12V battery. In fact you will note that none of the DTC specifically relate to low voltage on the 12V bus. Other ECUs can log such a code, for example, the skid control ECU comes to mind, with DTC C1241.

The fact that "ISC (idle speed control) learn status" was incomplete means that 12V power had been recently lost, so the engine ECU needs to log 50-100 miles of driving time before the ISC learn status is completed.

Considering all of these communication errors, who knows if the traction battery SOC readings per the MFD can be relied upon.

Are you aware of a recent 12V battery failure in that Prius? If not then I would say that battery is close to dead and for the sake of vehicle reliability, it would help if you replaced it now. If you DIY, do not use an auxiliary 12V power source while replacing the battery. You want the ECUs to totally power down while the battery is being swapped out. I'm not sure whether the replacement will help your poor mpg, but it wouldn't hurt.

12. mullenj

mullenj New Member

Hmm… 12 v battery issue? I would have never even guessed that might be an issue. But that is why I posted this here! :) The car has not given me any starting issues at all, but I know that’s not to say the 12v battery is not having issues. Although I would expect the 12v battery to last longer than 3 years, perhaps that time of running it dead has significantly reduced its life, as I know that can happen.

I’ll bring that up with my Toyota dealer for sure. I know they want me to give it a couple of days and see what happens. If the condition remains the same, I will suggest replacing that. Unfortunately I don’t DYI with these things… I will get the dealership to replace the battery if necessary.

I will keep you all updated as to what happens. But for now, I am off for bed! Good night all and thank you for the replies so far.

13. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The 12 volt battery in the Prius doesn't start the ICE, so you wouldn't see any symptoms like that of a weak 12 volt on a non-hybrid such as slow starter cranking or it being too weak to crank the ICE.

14. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius