1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius battery dying while driving and charging while sitting

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Sarah Johnson, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Sarah Johnson

Sarah Johnson New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hello so two days ago I was driving and heard a kabeem and then a red triangle and car with exclamation mark showed up after saying problem and then my car died battery rapidly dropped as well and then all dash lights came on pulled off and it recharged while sitting but only made it a mile each time it was recharged. Battery rapidly dies while car is moving and check engine light came on as well as vsc and and everything else. Trying to find out what could be the cause. Just replaced my serpentine belt had an oil change and lucas oil sealant was used. Car was fine til the kaboom. Not overheating or nothing. 12v battery has been in the yellow when testing but not red but it was during the second snowstorm in tennessee

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you likely ran over something on the road. take it to a dealer/mechanic/muffler shop, etc. where they can put it on a lift and examine the underneath.
    another possibility is that the

3. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just a guess but I think you might have had one of the modules in your HV battery pack fail ("explode"). You need to have ALL the computers on the car checked for codes using a Toyota campatible scan tool. Then you can figure out your next step. (many cheaper scantools or diagnostic devices can only "talk" to one or a few of the computers on the car- that's not good enough on a Prius).

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

SFO and jerrymildred like this.
  4. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yea, one of the HV battery modules "exploded" would be my bet, especially given the immediate-onset HV battery "Yo-Yo" behavior.

jerrymildred likes this.
  5. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Any issues with the engine starting and stopping?

Also all those dash lights store error codes that will offer more details on the problem.

6. Sarah Johnson

Sarah Johnson New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    No toyota looked at it today and it's the hybrid battery pack all the modules dominoes effect exploded so just sold the car

donbright likes this.