1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius battery finally died after 10 years and 220,000 miles

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Dodge Aries K, Oct 25, 2015.

1. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Why would there be no tax on a uber car? The tax would only be a write off, the tax would still be charged.

If you went to walmart to buy a battery for your uber car, they would still charge you tax

2. Dodge Aries K

Dodge Aries K Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Well when people I know would buy supplies for their business they didn't have to pay tax for the supplies needed to conduct business because they had their tax ID on file at the store (Sam's Club, to be exact).

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The tax id is for resale purposes. It's not so that you can conduct business tax free. The government expects you to charge the tax on your end after you resell the product. It does not apply if you use the product, only if you resell it and charge the tax on your end.

4. Dodge Aries K

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Hmm... that makes sense. They did own a restaurant but I do remember tax not being charged on anything, consumables included like napkins, plastic silverware, etc. Regardless, I tried to get answers and figure out why the charges weren't right and never got any answers after multiple calls and text messages.

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Good thing you paid with a credit card, you are well protected. I just hate that they know where you live and you don't really know them

when you checkout at Sam's, they ask you "are these items for resale". If you say yes, then they take your word you'll resell and everything is tax free. You are responsible to collect the taxes when you resell

6. Dodge Aries K

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I know what their address of their business is and it's well documented online this dude is a con artist. I just wish I knew this beforehand.

7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So what would be the resolution to this? They come back and give you back your battery and take back their battery?

Maybe you can make them an offer for their services of $300 and call it even? Your car works....you just don't know for how long. They might just take the $300 and call it a day. They didn't lose money and got paid for the time spent.

8. Dodge Aries K

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I have no idea if they have my old battery anymore. It was in pieces when it left (I took it apart to check which cell was bad) and the guy who did it didn't care about putting it back together. Also, I wasn't told they were taking my old one with them until after they installed the new battery and then was told I had to pay an extra 3% because I was using a credit card. Things that never were brought up originally even though I told the boss guy I wanted to hold onto my old battery and that I was using a credit card.

9. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Dodge Aries K,
    If you can wait until Monday, I'll come down from Madison to document your battery. No cost to you. I'll donate my travel time, labor time, as well as the toll costs

Ironic that Elite took your old pack since the ads often cast doubt on businesses that take back the core from you. His latest ad, "Don't be fooled, this not a rebuilt or reconditioned battery from another customers core, why do you think they want a core back from you. "

Please call me at your convenience so we can set a time/place to meet.
    Basically I'd like to do some scans of the pack in the car, plus open up the pack and look at the inner modules. It will take a few hours.

I don't want to hold you up from settling with them, but if possible, looking at it may help provide documentation of whether or not the batteries he is selling is what he claims. Without a look inside, we are all just speculating.

And for those watching this thread, if we get to look at the pack, any suggestions of things you'd like to see?

#29 ericbecky, Oct 28, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
    usnavystgc, m.wynn, strawbrad and 2 others like this.
  10. ILuvMyPriusToo

ILuvMyPriusToo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The disassembly process should be documented on video, including the module numbers, so there is a record to back up a complaint.

+1 to @ericbecky for his offer.

File with BBB and other consumer fraud prevention groups - that is one way to help let others know there is a problem, but it can be hard to tag fly-by-night operators that just change a name. IL might be interested whether they were licensed to do business in your state and what they do with the sales tax they collect for transactions in IL.

Sorry it sounds like you were the victim of a scam. Glad you had the protection of using a credit card. Good luck!

11. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Eric and Dodge, please keep us posted as to what is found once the "battery" has been inspected.

Listening to Dodge's comments about how things changed concerning credit card use and other things is also a good indicator of a con artist. The bad thing is that folks like this are good at what they do and can fool the best of us.

I had to deal with one recently myself. Luckily I was able to stop payment. As Dodge said, I hate con artists/scammers.

12. strawbrad

strawbrad http://minnesotahybridbatteries.com

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am sure you are thinking along the same lines. A load test similar to Art's Automotive. Did they get the bolts back in the right places with reasonable torque? Any evidence of the bus bars being disturbed or cleaned? They are dammed either way on this one. If they have been cleaned then it is not a complete 2009 battery with 29K miles. If the bus bars have not been cleaned then they did poor rebuild work. Part numbers from the computer and battery case. We might be able to determine the actual year of the battery from these. Of course serial numbers of the modules. Do the different parts of the case march? Almost all batteries show some kind of corrosion or wear. So a rust spot on the cover should have a matching spot on the bottom.

Kudos to Eric for stepping up and paying it forward.

Brad

13. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    For safe measures, I'd probably cancel that credit card number and get another one reissued

14. Dodge Aries K

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Not a bad idea there JC. I'll call the bank again later today and make that happen.

I talked on the phone to Eric and he should be coming down here on Monday to take a look at this thing and see what the deal is. Much thanks for him to donate his time.

15. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Dodge Aries K and I got to meet up today and take a look at his Prius battery.
    While the outcome is not great for Dodge, I did enjoy meeting him. He is the man, if you ever want to know about Dodge vehicles!
    While there he took me on a side adventure to visit a 2011 Snyder, and even bought me lunch at local sub shop.

Here is what we found....

Bottom line:
    What he was sold is not a 2009 battery.
    It is a battery with pre-2007 modules, and at least one of those modules has been swapped out with a module from a different battery pack

Lots to ponder here, but we know for certain that Dodge Aries K did not get a 2009 pack with only 29,000 miles on it.

Some notes:

Here is the exterior of the pack.
    If you go by this, the "I" of the serial number means it is from 2005
    H159IBQ0732A IMG_20151102_123053511.jpg

When we opened the case, we found that none of the modules carried the B2, B3, B4 markings of newer modules.
    So we are left to conclude that these are pre-2007 modules.

Below you can see one module that is marked with a black line on top (on the right)
    That line was there when we opened the case.
    One module does not match at all with the others
    286H6A14844E

Here are the module numbers beginning at the computer side of the pack...
    089GNA09338D
    089GNA09336D
    089GNA09342D
    089GNA09340D
    089GNA09334D
    089GNA09344D
    089GNA0933?D
    286H6A14844E
    089GNA09327D
    089GNA09329D
    089GNA09320D
    089GNA09321D
    089GNA09323D
    089GNA09322D
    etc

IMG_20151102_123857982_TOP.jpg

Here, my screwdriver is point to the bottom of the mismatched module.
    It has a different black marking on the bottom than the rest of the modules in the pack.
    IMG_20151102_124553304.jpg

Petrodollar, goldfinger, uart and 6 others like this.
  16. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The outcome is not actually bad for him, it justifies his credit card dispute.

Any word from the guy that sold you the battery pack? Since the credit card dispute, you would think he would contact you.

#36 JC91006, Nov 2, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
    m.wynn likes this.
  17. m.wynn

m.wynn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This is top-shelf of you, ericbecky. Transcending priuschat's already high ground.

#37 m.wynn, Nov 2, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
    Petrodollar, Montgomery and Merkey like this.
  18. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    the B2,B3,B4 markings would be in the module serial number of the newer post 2007 modules?

19. Dodge Aries K

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I have never gotten a call back even though I tried calling numerous times... I'll be submitting the information to the credit card company here soon.

Big thanks again to Eric to figure out what this scam artist place is up to.

Merkey and breakfast like this.
  20. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Still following this thread. Is the battery functioning okay? I am wondering what sort of recourse if any could be had in situations like this. I am also wondering how long the replacement battery will hold up. It is obvious that a cell was changed. I wonder if anything else was done like bus bar cleaning and or balancing. I note that Eric did not mention anything.

I hope in the end your traction battery problems are solved.