1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius battery module bad or no?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Killtheoldman, Jan 3, 2016.

1. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Don't worry about the sparks when disconnecting the 12v.

P0AA6 is not great.
    Just to be sure....
    You put the car in "Key On" position. (NOT Ready on. This is important.)
    and the code comes back in under a minute.

If so, then, as the video says, the voltage leak is in the HV Battery.

You are going to get back into the HV battery and diligently hunt down the problem.
    This will take time and effort.
    Check all wiring connections.
    Check all grounds.
    Check every one of the sensors.
    You can probe them carefully with a small wooden dowel.
    Even a small break or leak can be problematic.

It is important you follow the steps in the video exactly. Else you will be looking for the leak in the wrong component.

2. goldfinger

goldfinger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You've already been inside your battery, so I'd say open everything up and let it dry out. Hopefully you can get the car inside and get some heat on it. I'll bet you find condensation inside the battery. Good luck and don't get killed as your user name would imply.

Killtheoldman likes this.
  3. Killtheoldman

Killtheoldman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Will do first thing monday and update, i cant say how much i appreciate everyone taking time to advise me. Ill post an update soon!

Ok i have gone over most electrical components, 12v battery checks out. Looked for water or component dammage on anything that might have gotten wet in the back of the car, except for the hv battery. But how should i be troubleshooting this exactly do i look for a hv battery module thats output is too high? I feel a little like im grasping at straws, when i was putting the battery back on i accidentally made reversed a section of the contact stripping could that have caused this? Any ideas are helpful!

Dino33ca likes this.
  4. goldfinger

goldfinger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    OK, you've said your 12 V is good several times. Please report the no load, load, and ready voltage. See Weird stuff happening? MPGs dropping? Test The Battery | PriusChat

Your fault code says there is a leakage current between the HV circuit and the car's chassis. This is like a ground fault error. The leakage path can be breakdown of the electric motor insulation, the air conditioner's motor, the inverter, wirring, or the HV battery. Your Luscious Garage video technique suggests the ground fault is in the battery. This usually means a battery module has a hairline crack and has weeped a little electrolyte. You indicated you had a water leak so there was a chance the traction battery was just wet.

Please explain your reversal of the battery contact stripping.

5. Killtheoldman

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The orange contact stripping on the hv battery was put on upside down by my carelessness, this resulted in sparks. Im alive.... I volt checked the batteries afterward and they seemed fine, maybe it ruptured one like you mentioned, going to disasemble the hv battery tomorrow

6. goldfinger

goldfinger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Wow! You direct shorted several blocks. I'll bet you did see sparks.
    [​IMG]

#26 goldfinger, Jan 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
  7. DRACO

DRACO Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    WTD? Thank goodness you are okay, WOW

8. Killtheoldman

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    , didnt get to see nough fireworks this new year, lol

9. Killtheoldman

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    [​IMG] Ok friends, work has let off for an afternoon to work on my car and i think i have something maybe, see attatched module, while it tests good there was a little moisture from the screw hole area and some coorosion (though no crack in the plastic that i could see) should i replace it, clean it and put it back? This looks like a leaky battery right?
    [​IMG]

10. goldfinger

goldfinger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would try cleaning and putting back first. This might be cell leakage, but you had a water leak so it could be that. Under constant voltage and high humidity metals can electromigrate. This could account for the stain and the corrosion. You've probably read the low success rate with module replacement, so go that route only if you have to.

11. Killtheoldman

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey so i need more help, i finally made time to bring this in to toyota dealer and let them look at it. On my way there (and for the first time) the check engine light came on, the car lost alot of power (like it was just driving off the electric motor or something) I had it toyed to the dealor they pulled the code p0aa3 and the following detail codes:

1 - 0
    2- 526
    3-612
    4-0
    5-0

Im guessin my transaxle is bad am I right, could it be anything else. I ask because the guy at the desk is a bit clueless and just trying to get me to shell out more money, I dont trust Him, i was hoping to be as informed as possible :) Thanks

12. goldfinger

goldfinger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Glad to hear from you again, sorry to hear the latest.

Let's summarize. Let me know if I miss something. Your mechanic told you your traction battery was bad. You pulled it out and measured each module. It was then discovered that the 12 V battery was dead, so you replaced that. Next you had a P0AA6 High Voltage Isolation Fault. We also discovered you had water intrusion into the battery area. You inadvertently shorted several blocks, but everything measured OK. You did find a potential leaking module that could explain the isolation code. Now you have a P0AA3 Hybrid Battery Negative Contactor Circuit.

This is the only mention of P0AA3 on priuschat. You're breaking new ground here. Before I did anything I would disconnect the 12 V to clear all codes. While at it check the 12 V, it may have gone flat in the month you were away. If the code comes back check the hv battery to see if you have a lose wire to the negative contactor. You've been in there so many times you could have bumped something. And as always be careful. Good luck.

13. Killtheoldman

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    S keith it looks similar, and I considered replacing, i can do that, did you have the same p0aa6 code and did this in your case fix the issue?
    Goldfinger, all thhat you say is accurate and i will certanly check everything, add to that that when i drove it last time it lost alot of power when accelerating and check engine came on I lost power? What do i make of this? The tech said he can no longer get the car to move

#33 Killtheoldman, Mar 3, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  14. Killtheoldman

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Lol s keith - actually it was funnier than that, it was a fruedian slip. I was being asked by the wife to pick up cheese as i was typing it and put it instead of your name lol.
    Update: replacment module is on the way, question i know the official process is to recondition each module than wire in parallel to balance each module in tollerance. But is it possible to just skip to wiring each to parrelel and get it into tollerence if i didnt want to purchase a bunch of battery charger/conditioners?

15. Killtheoldman

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ok than ill need to pick up a few chargers so im not here for the rest of my life :) anyone recomend the best bang for my buck?

16. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd just like to point out a misunderstanding that you and others seem to have fallen into in regards to the above statement.

Wiring in parallel (but not charging in parallel as Steve (S Keith) mentions) is not balancing. It is voltage equalisation. As Steve also mentions, due to NiMH chemistry it is of little value.

Balancing really speaks to bringing each cell, within a module (there are 6 cells in a Toyota module), to a state of charge such that each cell is within a close tolerance relative to each other (in respect to voltage, amperage and capacity), so that they all contribute equally to the module's ability to store and deliver power. The way in which this is done is to charge the module very gently so that the lowest performing cell(s), within that module, are brought up into the range of the better performing cells. This means that the good cells are gently overcharged, and this over charging is dissipated as heat. The good cells can tolerate this as long as the heat is not too great and hence why cells are charged at a relatively low current. I believe this process is called top balancing.

There is a process call bottom balancing, which I don't understand enough at this point to expound on, so will leave that for someone more knowledgeable to explain the process, cautions and benefits of bottom balancing.

More knowledgable people, please feel free to correct anything I've got wrong.

I hope this helps.

17. Killtheoldman

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I appreciaciate the help, all. Ok so i was fully prepared to do a charge following the steps outlined here
    Gen II Prius Individual Battery Module Replacement | Page 2 | PriusChat
    See the third post down by ryousideways, im sure your familiar as some of you are part of the convorsation. I was going to pickup the rc charger he used but i can only find one,

So id like some advice on alternatives, anyone know any with a better price?
    i like the over charge concept and i confess this is the part where i am going to have to learn as i feel slightly out of my depth but do not believe it to be beyond my capability or understanding. Just going to have to learn with yalls amazing help. Where can i read a step by step guide if possible?
    Thanks again all !!

18. Killtheoldman

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks keith, ill order the battery conditioner on your advice.... I appologize if I have been too demanding of my questions, please excuse my lack of ability in this area. I have done my best to research and not ask what I can search and will try harder from here on... Ill post my results asap

#38 Killtheoldman, Mar 14, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  19. Killtheoldman

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Keith, gold finger and everyone else at priusChat.com THANKS SO MUCH!! This has been a trying financial year for me and my family(as is for many Im sure), not trying for any sympathy, just painting a picture of how appreciative I am of everyone patience and help and how much y'all saved my butt. I look forward to paying this favor forward! I bought the Grid charger it was an easy install and worked Keith, replaced the leaky module, took me about a week to go though all three charge/discharge cycles (mostly due to my work schedule) I have been driving it now for a few weeks and taken it on a little road trip and she is working. To summarize we had a dead starter battery, a leaky rear hatch due to hair line fractures, and a leaky module causing an hv leak. fyi I tried to donate to the forum but the option isnt up yet :( in the meantime my deep heartfelt thanks will suffice I hope.

goldfinger likes this.
  20. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Glad to hear it. If possible conduct the discharge test in my signature. If you have techstream, record and upload the file.

Getting a baseline is important. The discharge test is something you can do periodically to assess deterioration and determine if/when additional grid charging/discharge is needed.