1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Battery Module/Bracket torque?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by roflwaffle, May 21, 2016.

1. roflwaffle

roflwaffle Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Does anyone have the torque values for the bolts on the plastic brackets that compress the battery modules and the bolts that secure the individual modules to the bottom of the case? Thanks in advance.

2. greasemonkey007

greasemonkey007 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think it's about 14 or 15 ft/lbs. I'd have to go look

3. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You should have measured the distance between the outside of the plastic end caps between the 28 modules before you loosened them. If you have not done so yet, measure the length before loosening the end caps, then tighten the bolts only enough so the length matches what is was before loosening so that the holes on the bottom of the case line up with the modules. If you already loosened them, then you're going to have to use trial and error to get all of the modules to line up. Still shouldn't be all that difiicult

Generally speaking, you won't need to turn the bolt heads much - probably less than 90° - after the bolts are snug to the end caps. Again, just enough that the length is the same as before loosening.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    NOT AN OFFICIAL ANSWER. I am not sure what the specification is and will not be responsible something bad happens if you copy what I do, so, copy me at your own risk. I tighten the ones that compress with my impact gun and not a specific torque and torque the ones that hold them down to 30 inch pounds.

strawbrad likes this.
  5. strawbrad

strawbrad http://minnesotahybridbatteries.com

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    :confused::ROFLMAO:(n)

Toyota does not publish specs for those bolts. They do not want anyone taking the batteries that far apart. The terminal nuts torque is 48 inch pounds. The module mounting bolts are the same size. The case to floor bolts torque is 14 foot pounds. The torque for the case mounting bracket to frame bolts is 21 foot pounds. All of these bolts are the same size as the compression bolts. Use your best judgment.

Brad

#5 strawbrad, May 21, 2016
    Last edited: May 21, 2016
    Mendel Leisk and roflwaffle like this.
  6. roflwaffle

roflwaffle Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Mendel Leisk likes this.