1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius battery rebuild in Vancouver, Canada

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by jdmvip, Mar 13, 2023.

1. jdmvip

jdmvip New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    I actually have a GS450h but figure this community having a lot of support and it using the same cells as the Prius that maybe someone knows who can help in the Vancouver, Canada area (service is limited here as many of the shops that advertise reconditioning say they no longer service batteries anymore). I'm hoping someone can recommend another member or trustworthy service/shop to replace some bad cells and balance the rest of the cells?

Thanks everyone.

2. wtlewsii

wtlewsii New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I created a thread under my other screen name (Delemi) about refurbishing batteries. It’s not hard however it’ll take a day. I’ve gotten them running in about 10 hrs. It takes a few basic tools, good voltage meter/ohm meter. (Wear safety gear) Pull the pack, open casing remove the wiring nuts, bus bars. With a fine sharpie write the initial voltage of every module then ohm every module and record. You are looking for big fluctuations in voltage and high resistance. Mark any questionable modules. Unclamp and inspect every module for cracks and damage. Replace damaged or questionable modules. Re-clamp to spec. At this point I’d use a hobby charger to recharge the pack, let cool and recheck voltage and ohms before putting it back together. I’ve seen people just put it back in the car and let the car recharge it.

3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm four hours south of you and would love an opportunity to work on a 450H, but probably not feasible logistics. Hybrid Automotive's map of people who use their products mentions one shop in Vancouver, BC... But that might be one of those shops that no longer does that work:

Precision Auto Service
    Reseller Address
    23193 Fraser Highway,
    Langley, BC V2Z2T2
    604-530-9394

Maybe @alftoy has some suggestions?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  5. jdmvip

jdmvip New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks guys for your suggestions. Unfortunately Precision Automotive already told me they don't offer any servicing (was referring to them in my OP) on the batteries and only sell new ones.

I'll be grateful if anyone else has any local recommendations and I may not keep Washington State off the table.