1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Battery Reconditioning Question:

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Soloman, Mar 6, 2023.

1. Soloman

Soloman New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    SE
    Hey everyone!

Hope you all are well: I've been browsing this forum for quite a bit tbh!

I have a 2006 prius p3000 code sluggish driving, triangle of death. (When I bought the car the previous owner had a refurbished battery put in, its been 1 year + 2 months since it was done and there is no warranty)

[I used a random OB2 from ebay I purchased and downloaded the DrPrius app, saw the p3000 code and no sub codes were found]

I took out my battery and checked each individual cell with a multimeter.
    Most were in the 7.2+ range one was 6.6v. I bought a refurbished cell off of fleabay to replace it.

My question is: do I need to recondition all the batteries charge & discharge etc, or can I just replace the one cell and throw it back into the car?

Thanks a lot for any guidance!

Attached Files:

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i haven't done it, but there are a lot of write ups here and youtube on best practices for reconditioning.
    you can try just throwing it in, and some have had fairly good luck doing that.
    but most often, the problem comes right back so it all depends on how much reliability you want, and the more you want, the more time, work and energy to do it right.

Soloman likes this.
  3. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    There are MANY threads on the forums with weeks or months of reading material about repairing or "refurbishing" the HV battery. Use the search feature.

Short form, there is a fairly small chance (10%?) that "just replacing a module" will work. A few here have done so and gotten 6-12 months of use .

Much more common is the "new" used module doesn't match the condition of the existing ones. The battery ecu looks for the voltage difference between any two blocks (pairs of modules) to be too high. The replaced module often has higher voltage under load than others, so the ecu codes a different (lowest voltage) block as "weak".

So that module is replaced and the process repeats. We call it - "whack a mole".

There are several options:
    Replace module(s) & use RC hobby chargers to discharge - charge cycle individual modules (can take lots of time),
    Replace module(s) & use a "grid charger" to cycle all the modules at once (equipment can be $$)
    Get a new set of modules from Toyota
    Get new Li-ion modules from Project Lithium.

Whatever you do, use a torque wrench to tighten the busbar nuts on the modules to 48 INCH-pounds!

Good luck.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Soloman likes this.
  4. AntonyU21

AntonyU21 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    V
    I think it is better to repair all batteries to ensure safety

5. Soloman

Soloman New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    SE
    I appreciate the right up! I'll look more into what equipment to scoop up to recondition them myself charging/discharging. Thanks a lot for the information on "so the ecu codes a different (lowest voltage) block as "weak"." was new for me. I really appreciate it!

6. Soloman

Soloman New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    SE

I appreciate the reply - will see what I can do to get them reconditioned myself! Thanks a lot!

bisco likes this.
  7. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!
    Most apps won't offer subcodes, but techstream does.

You can also build a DIY 'grid charger' for around 100.

FYI : you're moderated until you've posted 5 times.