1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius battery replacement experience

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by kkeane, Mar 30, 2017.

1. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The hybrid automotive charger runs off of 120vac. like household current in the US.
    You can provide power to the charger via an inverter.
    For specs (like wattage, etc) and installation instructions, take a look at hybrid Automotive's web site.

If you meant can you directly charge the high voltage hybrid battery from a different high voltage 40ah lithium battery, the answer is yes.
    But the lithium battery would need to be higher voltage than the Prius battery.
    For example, having your lithium pack at 240 volts or so.
    This would be extremely dangerous voltage and I would suggest putting in a whole lot of safety precautions. Fuses, shutoff, over/undervolt protections. Of course then the question is, how do you charge up your high voltage 40ah lithium battery pack?

jerrymildred likes this.
  2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What @ericbecky said. (y)

3. Haschwalt

Haschwalt Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Through 12V DC cigarette lighter socket lol

4. lunacyworks

lunacyworks Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you for sharing with us your experience. You bring out "Even though I loved the Prius, we decided to go for a traditional gasoline car because of where we live." I am curious as I have never as of yet found cost affordable multipurpose well support vehicle than the Prius (https://www.scientific.net/AMM.809-810.1139 ). If anyone knows of such a "traditional" gas vehichle I WANT TO KNOW! Who of us wouldn't want a car that is "traditional" get better gas milalge, is more reliable, and affordable to repair than a Prius!

5. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the poster is just tired of dealing with people that can’t fix the car. They are willing to trade off mileage for the ability to get a car serviced properly. Plenty of story’s here about people having trouble getting their Prius fixed, even at the.dealer.

6. kkeane

kkeane Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I went with a Corolla instead. And, yes, the gas mileage isn't quite as good as with the Prius, but that was part of the tradeoff for me. Being a Toyota, I expect low maintenance cost going forward (although I had some bad luck; a botched windshield repair job caused a massive water leak and damage to several electronics components).

The reason has to do with the driving and usage pattern based on where we live - both the climate and the elevation change tend to kill the traction battery prematurely. We have very hot summer days; the hottest one was 122 degrees, as well as winters cold enough for some serious snow. The heat, in particular, is toxic for the battery.

The other problem is mountain driving. Going from from 4000 feet to sea level and back every day meant that the battery was fully topped off on the way downhill, and fully depleted by the time I got home. Doing that occasionally is of course harmless, but on a daily basis, traction batteries just don't like to be strained that way.

If we still lived at sea level and with a more moderate climate, the Prius would still be the perfect car.

Fortunately, I never had that experience. No, it was simply a mismatch between our needs and where the Prius excels.

Skibob and bisco like this.
  7. lunacyworks

lunacyworks Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

Thanks, that makes good sense, I know if some lived in the desert hills that the Prius wouldn't be my first choice or any car that didn't have the power to easily make it up and over large mountains or hills.

Data Daedalus likes this.