1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Battery Replacement (GenII) Like you've never seen - NEW Cylindrical Cells

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by 2k1Toaster, Jul 17, 2017.

1. BK310CH

BK310CH Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    I
    That might be true if the cooling characteristics weren't being altered. The cooling system is designed for the prismatic configuration and manages the fan based on the temperature response of the sensors based on KNOWN cooling characteristics.

The cylindrical cell configuration dramatically affects airflow and cooling with nothing advantageous about it based on aerodynamics and heat transfer. Only a fool would ignore that.

The pack really needs to be instrumented to assess its actual temperature response. As I mentioned, there are 112 additional potential hot spots in the pack. FLIR imaging isn't going to tell you much for surfaces it can't effectively image, and the delay between parking and imaging is going to alter the results.

Lastly, you mentioned Phoenix - a great place to test batteries. The Nissan Leaf battery died there. Honda batteries dropped like flies there. Personally, I absolutely would consider a pre and post summer evaluation of a new Prius pack vs. a new cylindrical pack as a valid comparison. Test each of the subpacks before to establish a baseline, run them for a summer and then re-test subpacks and compare the two results.

Driving around for an afternoon in the Rockies and then taking pictures falls well short of anything close to scientific. Nor is it valid evidence upon which claims of superiority can be based. It's just hackery.

kenoarto likes this.
  2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Again this is nowhere close to what was actually performed or what was said to have been done. Much more than "an afternoon" was spent which I may add would still be an afternoon more testing than you've done on these.

Blue Potato likes this.
  3. BK310CH

BK310CH Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    I
    You've SAID a lot of things. Many of those things are completely unsubstantiated and marketing in nature. Some of them are just absurd with no foundation in reality.

You've made claims of superiority with nothing to back them up.

"trust me" = 2k1Toaster "science"

I assume the bonfire is still raging?

kenoarto likes this.
  4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Truly, if you really believe this, you need to stop talking now.
    Yes, that.
    The crux of your contention is the NASA link that – to this reader, who has probably just as much expertise in fluid dynamics – is not making a compelling argument. It seems to me that a stack of cylinders will behave more like a flat surface than a single cylinder. At this point I challenge you to move from the theoretical and into the real world and come back to the group with your real world tests showing in detail how this theory performs. Or introduce more real world information to help me understand your fixation on this one aspect of the design.

It would be helpful if you were to introduce more information that moves from the theoretical to the practical. In the meantime your point is noted and further repetition is not required.

Raytheeagle and 2k1Toaster like this.
  5. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    SUMMARY:
    Contrary to the OPs headline, we HAVE seen this design before! He copied it!!!
    Best of luck to those who are willing to spend $2000 on this experiment.
    Only time will tell.

6. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    SUMMARY:
    OP took an existing designed and slightly modified it. Fussing with some of the plastic bits etc. (See pics etc in the first post)
    Sourced some other batteries.
    He's trying it out. Although has done some testing as he has access to testing equipment.

If you want to try it as well he is willing to sell you a similar setup.
    No warranty.
    If interested, contact the OP.
    Then maybe report back periodically here to let us know how it is going.

If not interest, then move along.

Time will tell how it works out.

Robert Holt, kenoarto and Raytheeagle like this.
  7. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Even Prius we did not know how reliable the batts would be. Those of us early adopters had to take it on faith. I was told by the dealer in 2006, that all you had to do was replace one bad module, which turns out in hindsight to be harder than just replacing the whole pack for $3000. Might not have bought if we knew that then.

The point is real world torture test and user feedback is the only thing that really matters. I am hearing intense concern from a few that someone might be mislead try this battery and not realize there is not extensive life data yet.

2k1Toaster and kenoarto like this.
  8. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    By your logic, everything inside of the same packing, is the same thing. Every USPS Small Flat Rate Box in the world contains the same item. Every shoebox the same shoe. Come on, this is just getting stupid.

Blue Potato likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    2k, would it be possible to keep us abreast of sales, and user experiences?

10. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So far 100% of customers interviewed have had excellent experiences...

:D

In seriousness, I would expect anybody to get in at this stage to be a member here and if wanted could post their own story of triumph or failure. I can post rough sales figures once it is actually for sale periodically. But I doubt my reporting of user experiences would be given a fair shake around here by some, and so I'll let those come from the people themselves unless they message me privately to post an experience for them.

Raytheeagle and bisco like this.
  11. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Alright it looks like I can offer a 2 year or 40k km warranty on these modules. It will be based in the USA from my place in Colorado. You deal with me, not some factory or seller outside the country.

Data Daedalus, m.wynn, Fred_H and 3 others like this.
  12. Lesk_The_Glut

Lesk_The_Glut Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Inaccurately, assertions continue to be made that new modules could be had from Toyota dealers for $2,000. According to Wonky's post in the thread below, the lowest price found, of $2,070, is sort of a bait and switch. $2,070 is an online price and does not include shipping. The same places charge more at the counter. Wonky paid $2,588 for this "$2,000" deal.

Post #48
    New Traction Battery Cost: Start Shopping Here | Page 3 | PriusChat

Then there's the issue some have of even getting a dealer to hand modules over to them.

And of course there's the out of pocket cost for the core charge. I've read about long turnarounds and potential issues with Toyota even accepting them.

Sure, 2k1's product is built upon a prior design. Of course it is. Just about everything we use nowadays is an IMPROVEMENT of a previously existing product.

I understand the desire for more test results. 2k1 posted that more would be forthcoming as the project progresses. As for real world results, some of us, like myself, will provide this, as testers, at a SUB $2,000 price . At this stage, why on earth would we keep referring to it as an untested $2,000 battery? If all goes well, it will become a tried and true, solid $2,000 alternative to a new Toyota pack. Why don't we just see how it pans out instead of killing it before it gets off the ground?

On another note. Tonight, NBC news did a story on the 2019 electric Aston Martin. I'm not certain of this but they seemed to show production of their battery cells, which were cylindrical. Not that they're going into a case that's designed anything like a Prius. I'm not going there! Take it easy on me, haha.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

#212 Lesk_The_Glut, Jul 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  13. BK310CH

BK310CH Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Oddly enough, your conclusion is correct; however, your failure to see the implications of your own conclusion indicate that your first claim of fluids expertise is not correct at least not in the area of air flow and heat transfer. If you think about the implications of your own conclusion, you should be able to figure it out. The following word should give you all you need to know: "slipstreaming".

You suggest this of someone presenting not just theoretical data, but well understood and exhaustively tested data dating back decades, yet you make no similar request of "helpfulness" from the OP, who hasn't even presented theoretical data, objective data or even a summary of scientific methodology that even suggests that meaningful data exists.

WITHOUT THE OP PRESENTING A SINGLE BYTE OF EMPIRiCAL DATA, I would give weight to a claimed meaningful methodology and statements of comparison. What he has given is nothing better than a hobbyist playing in his garage making statements of comparison made primarily for marketing purposes - some of which CAN'T be substantiated with any level of testing due to their absurdity.

kenoarto likes this.
  14. DMC-5180

DMC-5180 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Are the New Replacement Packs from Toyota Built with Gen 2 cell technology or are they built with Gen 3 cells. Speaking of Which, How are the Gen 3 packs holding up in the 2010-12 cars?

Data Daedalus likes this.
  15. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    G3 cells

16. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Gen3 is not much different battery than Gen2, but Gen3 does not allow battery drain on loss of fuel, and a couple things like that seem to reduce incidence of HV Batt fails. We have no batt fail data from Toyota so we really are clueless except to say very few Gen3 batt fails yet. Not many 2009 batt fails. Just starting to hear a few 2008 batt fails.

kenoarto likes this.
  17. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Which is more ECU programming than chemistry differences. Really the only difference is that instead of being manufactured by "Panasonic EV Energy Company" as of June 2010 they are now made by "Primearth EV Energy". Same company just name changes from buying and selling stakes between Panasonic and Toyota when Panasonic bought Sanyo and wanted to speed up the regulator approval. Nobody knows what went on internally or what currently goes on internally, so it is unknown as to what if anything has changed. Looking from the outside in, it doesn't appear that anything changed in the modules themselves. The ECU changes and other various firmware changes are battery independent.

We didn't really see an influx of failures until about the 10 year point. 2004's in 2014, 2007's now. 2008's are starting to pop-up. I am sure there are failures within warranty, so not a problem. And most have no problems and won't need a new battery anytime soon. I'm thinking we are on the upwards ramp of the failure curve

Data Daedalus and m.wynn like this.
  18. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    2k1- ...yes I would not be surprised if 2006 model year is up to 10%+ batt fails now. If the failure rate continues like that for the future years that Prius sales skyrocketed (2008-2012), there will be huge increasing need for batt replacements. However, my gut feeling is maybe the failure rate has improved somewhat.

19. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am starting to think we may now have hard evidence that Gen3 batts are doing much better than Gen2 re: reliability.

About 4-years ago (2013) Consumer Reports did a Prius owner battery life survey. At that time 2006 model year was already up to 3% failed HV batts per CR. Here we are now 4 years later and we have very few reports of 2010 batt fails. Normally we see PriusChat attracting those Prii owners with maintenance issues such as bad batteries, so the Gen3 silence is fairly obvious.

Perhaps one factor is that Gen3 handles empty gaso tank better re: HV battery charge management.

20. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My opinion is the turd gen batteries are far worse than gen 2. My 2010 SOC is already fluctuating from full and empty quite fast. I think the battery is worked much harder in the turd gen, to give it that little better mpg

strawbrad likes this.