1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Battery Replacement (GenII) Like you've never seen - NEW Cylindrical Cells

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by 2k1Toaster, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    @Raytheeagle or @ericbecky may know further. Of course so would @jeff652 from Hybrid Automotive.

2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Looking on their website for installation instructions here: 2004 - 2009 Toyota Prius Plug-and-Play Car Harness Installation Instru – Hybrid Automotive

The image shows it attaching as an overall pack module. It is battery agnostic in this case, you could be feeding it with whatever you want as long as the voltages are good.

[​IMG]

So if that's the case, then yes it is compatible. Those parts in the image are stock after using my kit.

offib and jerrymildred like this.
  3. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The only other issue might be capacity differences. Any idea how your pack of cells compares to a good OEM pack?
    It might be possible the intelligent discharger & charger are "tuned" to the expected Prius pack capacity.

4. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The OE PrimeEarth modules are 6.5Ah, my modules are 6.5Ah. So they are identical in capacity to a brand new pack. Good question though!

Prodigyplace likes this.
  5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Who really cares if thevprolong works on these battery’s they should last years.
    If and when I buy mine I’m selling my prolong lol.

6. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Way back in the annals of grid charger history, there were issues with some cylindrical cells that could not handle grid charging.
    They tended to vent and become damaged.
    This was on cylindrical cells that were poorly made.
    The cells were aftermarket cells from Asia and made for Honda hybrids.

Jdh0555, SFO, jeff652 and 1 other person like this.
  7. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would think that, as long as they can handle the overcharging (Thanks for bringing that up, @ericbecky.) and the capacity is the same, which @2k1Toaster has verified, the Prolong should work.

However, it should be several years before the battery would need a grid charge.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  8. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would not bother grid charging a pack until far into its life.

9. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    With NiMH you can overcharge but they get hot, that's what NiMH does. Cylindrical cells vent from the ends. I don't see why you would want to keep the cells hot for prolonged periods balancing pretty already balanced cells.

edthefox5 and jerrymildred like this.
  10. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My thoughts, precisely. Doing so would shorten the battery's life with no gain in vehicle performance.

11. mjoo

mjoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It's not exactly overcharging the battery. Once the charger reaches full capacity it trickle charges it. This does something to break up the NiMH memory effect. With a working battery fan the battery won't overheat.

Pixel XL ?

12. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is overcharging compared to what Toyota specifies to maximize battery life. Hybrid Automotive warns against overuse of the charger too.
    I know this is extreme, but you see it can cause issus.

If the timer is left on too long the battery will be overcharged, or rebalanced, on a daily basis. This is hard on the battery and can significantly shorten battery life.

From Prolong® Battery Systems FAQ – Hybrid Automotive

I would also not argue with @2k1Toaster since he is a rechargeable battery expert.

jerrymildred likes this.
  13. mjoo

mjoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hybrid automotive warns against prolonged daily charging of the hybrid battery. Are we talking about daily charging the pack with an 80W charge rate or a charge every 6 months- 1 year as part of reconditioning the pack?

Pixel XL ?

14. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I said it was extreme. Either way, I would follow the advice of @2k1Toaster who works daily with rechargeable batteries. I am confident on his opinion based on his research & testing of rechargeable batteries.

It is ultimately your decision what you choose to do.

jerrymildred likes this.
  15. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Also, I'm getting my information on unnecessary grid charging shortening the battery's life from a friend who makes his living selling and repairing hybrids, especially the Prius. The batteries have a certain number of charge/discharge cycles before they degrade. It's not just keeping the cells balanced. And, if you charge them above 80% or so or discharge below 40% or so, that shortens their life. That's why solar power control systems limit the charge and discharge levels of their batteries like the Prius does, and why you need to budget for replacement batteries in a solar power system or a hybrid car.

#355 jerrymildred, Mar 18, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    Raytheeagle, mjoo and Prodigyplace like this.
  16. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    And based on his advice, I assume, you stopped using your Prolong charger on your wife's Prius after installing a much newer battery pack.

kenoarto likes this.
  17. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, I did. He said to at least wait till the 1st anniversary of installation, which would be in May. But so far, it's still running fantastic. She's getting almost 50 mpg without even trying, and most of her trips are only 5-10 miles. I make it a point to drive it every few weeks and it still acts like a brand new battery. In fact, those are usually longer, and I tend to increase the average showing on her display. I'm not messing with it unless I need to. If it ain't broke ... ;)

Raytheeagle and Prodigyplace like this.
  18. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Having a brand new hv battery in our fleet (the wife’s RX450h), I have a good comparison for battery performance ;).

I only perform hv battery preventative maintenance when it is necessary, and right now I can see our 2010 getting closer to reconditioning time;).

Might bump up the Memorial Day reconditioning to Easter as I’ll have the time :).

But the finite number and amount of pounding on the pack I’ll keep to the absolute minimum to get more of them in(y).

19. luis95014

luis95014 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Beautiful piece of engineering. Do you have any long term data e.g. cell capacity degradation over time, operating temperature and thermal heat rise vs original design? etc.

20. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I know I do not have that data, but I have access to Techstream and another 2010 with ~100 k less miles than our 2010 with 175 k miles;).

I’ll take some screen shots tomorrow along with a 2014 v and we can see what differences arise:).

jerrymildred and mjoo like this.