1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Battery Replacement (GenII) Like you've never seen - NEW Cylindrical Cells

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by 2k1Toaster, Jul 17, 2017.

1. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Long term data, no. Because the pack has only been in existence for a year. However using temperature life acceleration tests, they match the standard chemistry degradation. NiMH is not a new technology and there is lots of good info and "recipes" to produce. These cells are exactly as they should be. Since their capacity and chemistry is basically equal to that of the PrimeEarth modules, it reasons they will perform similarly over time.

Immediate thermal differences are that the modules as they heat up bring the heat to the surface faster and more localized. The cells don't touch so it doesn't heat up all the modules all once, it does alert the HV fan that things are getting toasty earlier though. Which is beneficial because it starts cooling earlier.

2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    As promised, here’s some data :):

2010 Prius II with 175 k miles and had hybrid automotive Prolong equipment battery maintenance:

DB1D8BA9-99AF-4216-9698-84C10091D34C.jpeg 05F7428D-DAFC-4004-922A-F4D3CA3A82FA.jpeg

2010 Prius III with about 73 k miles:
    6B4206B9-6C4B-438F-AE6F-E859084BAD2D.jpeg

2014 Prius v with 47 k miles:
    CD3393E6-E2FB-42E5-80BE-52D66BD71FE0.jpeg 6650342C-14E7-45F7-B25A-EF3FCA9F825D.jpeg

All relatively consistent ;).

Hope that helps (y).

m.wynn and jerrymildred like this.
  3. typical

typical New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm in. Just pre-ordered 2k1toaster's kit for May. My 2005 died few months ago. Last time the traction battery died was five years ago, and I bought a salvage battery and put it in myself. These days I wouldn't trust salvage; all of the gen IIs are getting old. I don't think this is for everyone, but I am a retired electrical engineer myself, and an avid DIYer. I resurrected my 1999 pickup, so I am not stranded and not in a hurry, but I am paying $300-$400 a month in fuel for that beast.

Will keep you guys posted on how it goes.

m.wynn, chelvis, Prodigyplace and 2 others like this.
  4. MPGHokage

MPGHokage Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    III
    how have these aftermarket batteries held up? I think my battery is on the way out so i'm looking into replacements. I also have a Prolong Battery Charger / discharger, and i'm assuming It's still compatible? Thanks guys.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    too soon to know, but see post #361. check with prolong about compatibility.

6. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Based on that post, it is my opinion that somebody would need to try the Prolong charger on a pack, very carefully monitoring the cell temperature. Of the people here, I think only @jeff652 and @2k1Toaster likely have the needed temperature monitoring equipment. Perhaps the pack need a slower charge and/or discharge rate to keep the temperature away from the critical zone.

7. Ecky

Ecky New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My apologies if this has been covered in the thread before, but I found this while doing research on prismatic conversions for Honda hybrids. My understanding is that one of the major advantages of Toyota's prismatic cells is that they self-balance more readily within each module. To my knowledge, all Honda NiMH hybrids and the early Prius with cylindrical cells had issues with the cells getting out of balance, for which the only solution was to manually balance them with a grid charger, which is inherent to the cylindrical cell design. You need cell-level balancing to combat this. You're fine for a few years, but eventually the out of balance cells cause problems if you don't manually balance them.

Has this been taken into consideration with this swap? Does it even matter, if you can reasonably get 5-8 years out of the pack before imbalance starts to cause major issues?

toymo and kenoarto like this.
  8. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am sure @2k1Toaster has taken that into consideration since he works with rechargeable batteries daily. He should be along in a while to explain his design & testing.

9. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    These cells can take anything the car or the chargers/dischargers can throw at them. They are designed to be equivalent. The only difference is that surface temperatures will be reported hot earlier than with the mass of battery in the original design. I argue this is a feature as it allows the "true temperature" of the pack to be known not just the heat soaked temperature of the pack.

I've taken the cells up to super overcharged levels, to the point where they are too hot to touch without burning your fingers. There comes a point that more charge into a NiMH makes heat and if you do that for a long time, it just gets hotter and hotter. True for all NiMH. Sending over 100W into a fully charged battery makes a 100W heater. Been there done that for testing. :)

No Toyota design does any cell level balancing. Each of the 28 prismatic modules have 6 cells inside, nothing inside to balance between them. And the next step up, balancing in general, the Prius does no such pack balancing except while charging which is the charge it up and let some get hotter so the rest of them "catch up". It is balancing in the crudest sense, and is pack-wide only.

I have worked with active cell balancing. In fact I've helped on the only solution to active balancing while charging that exists which is currently in Formula-E vehicles. That requires each cell to have its own charger and its own discharger with lots of monitoring. It is really only useful in large capacity cells for lithium packs because you don't want 168 charge/discharge circuits in the Prius, or at least nobody would want to pay for that. It would add a couple thousand bucks to the price of the battery assembly. But when you can do it on lithium cells and each one has 80Ah in it, it starts to make sense.

m.wynn and Raytheeagle like this.
  10. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Have you been able to fill all of your backorders yet? This is April. :D

11. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks to some cross-border rabble-rosuing shipments between the US and China are being a little slower than usual. Just arrived today. Test over the weekend, ship out on Monday. My shipments to my factories from the US to China are also being held longer in China just like the shipments from China to the US.

So all "April Orders" should be shipping Monday. Right now, looking to get a bunch delivered in mid-June which I hope to stop this process of backorders. May orders already have most of that larger order sold too. Last I checked I had only 3 or 4 left in May.

m.wynn, Raytheeagle and Prodigyplace like this.
  12. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the update.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  13. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Welcome!

I think this is the more important real world issue as folks currently getting these module kits are for 10+ year old cars. I don't think many will want to put more $$$ into battery maintenance when these cars are 15-18 years old. Also, I would think by then new NiMH packs (modules) would be so cheap it won't matter.

kenoarto likes this.
  14. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Got just under 2 tons of batteries
    There will always be the few wanting to keep the "classics" (at that point) on the road. :) Unless there is some autonomous vehicle mandate where our old-school cars can't be on the road between 8am-8pm or something!

Don't hold your breath for that. Prices are currently pretty rock bottom. In fact, raw material cost has just by 20% the past year. Partly because a lot of the mines no longer mine because NiMH batteries are being obsoleted in many places. I have locked in rates for a little longer with some options, but after that, prices will need to go up unless other things can be cut. Another 5% to 10% increase this year in raw material costs are expected too.

fotomoto likes this.
  15. egg_salad

egg_salad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I break down cordless electronics for scrap. I used to take NiCd and NiMH batteries in to be recycled. Now my recycler tells me they will start charging to take NiCd and NiMH batteries off my hands.

I can't imagine how much cheaper it can get than being forced to pay to get rid of it.

Be prepared for lots of nasty chemicals to be in the waste stream. I think people will throw them in the trash rather than pay to recycle them.

kenoarto likes this.
  16. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yep. Same thing when the big companies stopped taking the big CRT style TVs. Lots in the dump. The price between raw lithium and battery components (like manganese/cobalt/etc) and production packs per KWh has some more ground to come down, which Tesla/Panasonic are spearheading. Then the price may go down due to volume and mining efficiencies. But then we'll be in the same boat.

17. typical

typical New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    UPS confirms my kit has shipped. Supposed to arrive on Monday. Sooner than I expected.

Meantime I need a new 12V battery. My Optima replacement didn't last a year. I bought it online for a good price, maybe too good. My first Optima from a local store outlasted the warranty. Also there was no core charge in the online purchase, so I wonder if there may be counterfeit Optima batteries being sold online.

18. Ecky

Ecky New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm aware, neither does Honda. The running hypothesis as to why cylindrical cells in sticks go out of balance so much more quickly than prismatic cells is that the prismatic cells share airspace between the cells, whereas cylindrical are all independent, and there is some chemistry going on inside them which helps to keep them balanced. Honda packs can get unusably imbalanced in a period as short as 5 years, and it's common practice to bring "dead" Insight and Civic Hybrid batteries "back to life" with a forced overcharge to balance the cells. I understand the battery management is considerably different between Honda and Toyota as well, but these balance issues have been documented and demonstrated by several independent battery providers for Hondas.

Taken (out of context) from a discussion on InsightCentral:

Replacement new cells for our cars have shown a greater tendency to become imbalanced, shorter lifespans with the sort of currents involved. The original cells have been out of production long enough that it's starting to make sense to use aftermarket sticks, but they are noticeably inferior, despite whatever specs are printed on the outside.

#378 Ecky, Apr 19, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    kenoarto likes this.
  19. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The cylindrical shape has nothing to do with balance over prismatic. The Honda solution is terrible, and that's what kills the batteries. We've owned them, still have one. It is terrible.

And yes most of the sticks out there are inferior. They are stamped at some value, but are measured at half that or less. That's the genesis for this entire project. "Aftermarket sticks" or things like that are not all created equal. Some aftermarket things are made to be cheap. Some are made to be more expensive. Some are made to be equal. They can't all be grouped into a single category.

20. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Back in the day there were cylindrical sticks that had such poor welds that simply waving it around made the sticks break apart.

Or ones that touted higher capacity than what could realistically fit in that size package.

When you unrolled some cylindricals to show the amount of material it was drastically lacking.

I'm sure stuff like that exists out there still, so buyer beware.

2k1Toaster, m.wynn and Raytheeagle like this.