1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Battery Replacement (GenII) Like you've never seen - NEW Cylindrical Cells

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by 2k1Toaster, Jul 17, 2017.

1. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Any battery recycler will accept them just like the original pack. They are standard NiMH batteries, the recycling process has been in place since the 1990's.

2. srivenkat

srivenkat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Thanks. I see recycle bins at Homedepot, Bestbuy, etc., for regular cordless batteries and such, who I doubt would even accept an original Toyota NiMH pack (looks like the Toyota dealer is the only option for them). Are you suggesting I could recycle the cylindricals at Homedepot/Bestbuy locations because they could be dismantled into individual cells and dropped in their recycling bins? Or are there any industrial battery chains across the US that would accept the pack as a whole?

Also, talking about cells, is each one of the cylinders an individual cell, or does it have smaller cells inside of it?

Thanks in advance.

3. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I don't know if I'd drop off 70 pounds of batteries at BestBuy for recycling, but yes they should take them and they should also take the Toyota PrimeEarth ones.

No dismantling required, nor would it be recommended. Those "36v cordless drill batteries" are multiple cells connected in series (like 10S for that), just like these batteries are 14S.

Since I recycle literal tons of batteries for UPSs and things I just call up the local battery recycler. They take pretty much anything for free. If you want them to come to your house the one in town charges $35 and haul it all away. If you drive it down there, free. They make money reselling it all, so they'll take them for free. These places are everywhere.

4. srivenkat

srivenkat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    The regular recycler for my home area says:

"No Car or Truck Batteries Accepted

No Batteries Over 5 lbs Accepted"

Hence the question. I guess I would have to call them to see who can take large scale batteries. But I suspect they will simply ask me to approach the dealer the moment I mention about a hybrid battery. Can you please point me to the websites of recyclers in your area? Perhaps they can point me to their counterparts in my area? I am in East Central Illinois.

Also, separate from the recycling queries, I was also wondering if each one of the cylinders is an individual cell, or does it have smaller cells inside of it?

Thanks in advance.

5. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No need to mention "hybrid battery". That phrase usually means the whole assembly, the entire high voltage assembly. And that is a problem. But there is no special hybrid battery module, it is just that they are used in hybrids. It's the same style battery you found in your cordless landline phones and things like that when dinosaurs roamed the world.

The Interstate Batteries website says it takes NiMH batteries. And they do industrial sized batteries so I would assume no 5lb weight limit. The last time I recycled I had 192 smaller lead acid batteries (12.5Ah) and 32 large lead acid batteries (150Ah). I put them outside and they picked up the next day.

Each cylinder is an individual cell. That's why the voltage is the way it is. One cell is 1.2v nominal. No way around that.

6. srivenkat

srivenkat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Thanks. I have also found this, that in fact shows the kind of cylindrical cells you have on offer:
    What Can I Recycle? | Call2Recycle | United States
    But it does only show the local Homedepot, Lowes and Staples. I guess recycling won't be an issue.

I am confused. I thought each "block" of 14.4V is being replaced with 3 cylinders, which means each cylindrical cell should be 4.8V right?

7. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Each block is 12 cells, 12 cylinders. Arranged in 3 rows of 4 columns.

8. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You can see the individual cells better here:

NewPriusBatteriesLLC___102__41945.1507184273.jpg

m.wynn likes this.
  9. srivenkat

srivenkat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Oh, OK. Now I understand. From a lay person perspective, I am curious: would it have been better to have each row be a single cell of 4.8V, for lower internal resistance, etc.? Or better yet, the whole block being a single cell of 14.4V? I heard Toyota couldn't do this because of patents on large format NiMH batteries that expired last year or so? I heard they were sued successfully by Chevron because of use of large format batteries in the original RAV4 EV?

10. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    NiMh chemistry produces 1.2V. There is nothing you can do about that. Those are laws of physics and chemistry. So a single NiMh cell will ALWAYS be 1.2V no matter how big you make it. To make more voltage cells need to be connected in series to form modules or batteries (battery is a collection of things. In this context - cells, in artillery context - guns, for example).

offib and srivenkat like this.
  11. rogerthat

rogerthat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Toaster, are there any idiot proof installation videos that detail every step in replacing the original modules with your modules/kit?

12. srivenkat

srivenkat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Thanks. I would be grateful if you can explain in layman terms what "large format NiMH battery technology" is that was apparently patent-encumbered until recently causing Toyota to stop making the original RAV4 EV:

Patent encumbrance of large automotive NiMH batteries - Wikipedia

13. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Actually the powertrain of the RAV4 EV came from Tesla when Toyota owned part of them. The RAV4 EV stopped when the powertrain supply was exhausted. 2500 Gen 2 units, I believe.

14. srivenkat

srivenkat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    For the second generation, it did. But the first generation used NiMH.

Also, I think I have found what large format means: "large-format NiMH batteries (i.e., 25 amp-hours or more)" from the article mentioned above.

15. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your article also says this:

16. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Videos, not that I know of. Just the written manual.

17. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    As an update to all those that have orders on the "October shipment", I just got confirmation a few minutes ago from the dock in Hong Kong that the container is being loaded onto the ship now. They're starting their journey across the Pacific around midnight local time, so about 9.5 hours from now assuming there aren't loading delays. Next stop Long Beach, CA! Looking to arrive on the 18th of September in California. Then be in Los Angeles about a week later (container offload, customs clearance, ground shipping) then start their journey to Colorado which should be end of September as planned.

Mavi, Stewy13, Cyvan and 1 other person like this.
  18. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Big truck arrived very late on Friday unexpectedly after being delayed from Wednesday and rescheduled for the following Monday. Just finished checking everything with people working round the clock. All pre-orders for the "October shipment" are being packed up right now for shipment tomorrow. I have also put them back in stock on the website. So if you order now, it should ship same day!

19. audiodave

audiodave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    pashko90, 2k1Toaster and Prodigyplace like this.
  20. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi 2K whats the latest price out the door now for Pchatters?