1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Battery Replacement (GenII) Like you've never seen - NEW Cylindrical Cells

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by 2k1Toaster, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    My guess is plated copper (nickel plate?). @2k1Toaster ?

2. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If it's not copper, then it better be gold or silver. There is a reason wires are copper. It's the best conductor that is not gold or silver.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. roccostud

roccostud Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    yes, I just received my kit it is plated copper.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. Morganjah

Morganjah Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My 2005 battery appears to be giving up the ghost. After four years of custody fighting, I have little money. I was looking at this solution, but I see that the new batch isn't going out for two months, which won't get my son to school in the mornings. I was also curious as to why there is only a two year warranty. I would expect this solution to be a good one that would last much longer than that.

kenoarto likes this.
  5. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Toyota OEM replacement hybrid battery only has a 12 month warranty if you install it yourself.

I bet that the OEM replacement battery can last as long as the original if not longer.

Warranty does not necessarily corrolate to quality.

6. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was just going to say that you could get a three year warranty from Toyota if they install it. But it'll cost twice as much. +1 on the quality being more important than the warranty.

7. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yep. Battery is pulled off parts shelf at the dealership.
    If you install it,12 month warranty
    If they install it, 36 month warranty.
    Same exact part.

That's why when I install OEM batteries for customers, I just provide a 36 month warranty, even though Toyota only proves me a 12 month warranty.

The quality is top notch. No way it is failing within 3 years years ever.

8. roccostud

roccostud Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I'll make a post of my install from newpriusbatteries later and give updates if it helps people. I'm only after a few more years at the least for this car. as for the Toyota warranty. I wasn't having any luck locating a reasonably priced Toyota battery and wanted it fixed. this seems like a great solution for me and for what I want out of the car. obviously most of our cars have outlasted the factory warranty so just because it's a one year or whatever doesn't mean it's not going to last.

Prius Rising likes this.
  9. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    When your car was brand new, the warranty on the non-hybrid portion of the drive train was only 3 years/60K miles. I think everyone expects any Toyota will last much longer than that.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  10. ryan123456

ryan123456 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    After reading through all this post I came to a conclusion. I realized this is just 14 x 12 = 168 D cell Nimh batteries soldered together and shrink-wrapped. This reality took some time to sink in. As an amateur pack builder from my RC days and Electric scooters in Asia lifestyle, I am really interested and confident in possibly sourcing my own D cells all 168 of them and then trying to purchase the shrink wrap and plastics without batteries from newpriusbatteries or one of the other Chinese suppliers.

If money were no object (google link fail insert powerex-d 10,000mah 1.2v best D cell batteries of 2020) 4500$ Could build one heck of a D cell pack and I'm curious what the AH rating could be using different D cells such as to get 10ah plus in one module. I know this may or may not make a difference based on stock ECU usage and charging. But my common sense tells me a pack with more capacity will last longer as it takes longer to deplete from fully charged and it lasts longer so recharges not as frequently but still think about it, if you built a 12ah module then 5 years down the line when the battery is operating at 50% original capacity or 6ah then yeah that still might just be great. Who knows what could happen but since no one has tried it or done it yet (as in sourcing premium grade US or Japanese Made Nimh D cells not Chinese made D cells) this is pretty interesting new D cell DIY experimental territory. I remember A123 cells were desirable, imagine if DIY pack module building became a thing for Prius owners although tedious it might make for some awesome results and customization options of having an open D-cell market with possibly certain cells being desired in the future similar to what happened with the a123 cell phenomenon

#590 ryan123456, Mar 1, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
  11. ryan123456

ryan123456 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Update I was wrong on my calculations and went past the 15 minute edit time so here's a new post about the above. It's much cheaper than I thought. Powerex D premium 10ah D cells are 25 for 2 so about 2400usd for all 168 and the other lower cost premium d cells are 9.5AH and 18 a two pack or about 1500USd for all 168 of them. For 1500USD for premium grade D cells not made in China that's pretty good and at 9.5AH it might just outlast an OEM battery rated which is 6.5AH

It's hard to say since no packbuilder has any multimeter photo or video of any prius pack at 8ah 9ah or 10ah but just sales claims so if someone does build a real 8ah or 9ah or 10ah D cell pack and verifies it with picture/video multimeters reading then does a 5-10 year longevity report, then finally we will know that yes it is possible to build your own D cell pack and after 5 years with the battery at 50% operating capacity its still outputting in the 5-6ah range then that just might go on another 5 years ultimately meaning for those who have low mile prius or plan to rebuild the ICE or keep it long term this premium D cell option of building your own d cell pack might be worth it.

12. ryan123456

ryan123456 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    [​IMG] (more info about tenergy D-cells supplier of cells to Panasonic and samsung)

Tenergy is ISO 9001 certified, approved pack manufacturer by Panasonic and Samsung, TUF approved manufacturer of TUV certified products, and Intertek approved manufacturer of ETL certified product.

Tenergy Corporation was established in 2004 in the heart of Silicon Valley, California. As a pioneer in providing total power solutions, Tenergy has enjoyed rapid growth by working closely with our customers to develop comprehensive battery and charger products. Tenergy serves a world-wide spectrum of industry clients through technical strength, innovative products. Our customers benefit from Tenergy’s broad product and technical capabilities in NiMH, Li-Ion, Li-Polymer, LiFePO4 and NiCd batteries, chargers, power management and other emerging power technologies. Tenergy products touch a wide variety of products in the rechargeable battery market, including industrial, consumer products, storage, transportation, medical, communication, military and many other special applications.

Our Goal is to be our customers' most Flexible, Affordable and Expedient Battery pack partnering choice. We work closely with our customers to provide an ideal battery or charging solution for each particular circumstance, whether that be industrial, consumer products storage, transportation, medical, communications, military or other. In fact, Tenergy provides best in class service and technical knowledge for both Lithium and Nickel-based battery solutions. We look forward to helping you with your next project.

13. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    And that would still be much more expensive that the pack here. You need some sort of bracket structure and, as @2k1Toaster has said a few times, the majority of the cost is in shipping.

14. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    New member of Priuschat or new sales rep?

Prius Rising likes this.
  15. powersteer

powersteer New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is a terrific idea! Imagine if we can get the plastic pieces, we can use quality D cells that have the latest low discharge chemistry.
    Just unsure if these cells can withstand the regular 20-30C that HSD pushes thru.

16. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Why?

Probably 90%+ of the OEM HV batteries last well over 10 years. They're available all day long to be purchased for $1650-2000 new from Toyota. 2k1's is 1600ish. I can gaurentee you, that an OEM pack, even at a reduced 3000mah capacity, if still well balanced between the 14 blocks, is very difficult to differentiate from a brand new pack in regard to how the car operates, other than you can run the AC longer with the engine off. Going from 6500 mah to 10k mah will have the same result.

I seem to remember seeing ~157 amps discharge rate and 115-120ish? charge rate a few times on TechStream. One sketchy "solder joint" (likely a welded joint?) or not so great D cell and "poof".

Prodigyplace likes this.
  17. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If you get your raw material cost in the $700-$800 range, you may have a product. $1500 for just the modules, not a chance in the world. And being made in China in itself has nothing to do with quality. You can make excellent products in China and you can make crap.

Exactly. shipping cost is the killer. But if he is producing everything in the states and only selling to local people, maybe not a problem. But at $1500 cost to him, plus plastics, plus bus bars, plus bolts, and then you have a pack. Now take off taxes, take off processing fees for payments, payments to keep the business itself going like phones, internet, web store, etc, and that $1500 pack becomes $2200 and you've made no money.

George W and Prodigyplace like this.
  18. Berch1943

Berch1943 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Quick question. When installing into the car where do you connect the battery acid hose that goes into the car chassis?

19. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    are you talking about the vent hose fir the auxiliary 12 volt AGM battery? If you have the proper battery it has a place for the vent. If there is no place for it that is the wrong battery fir the car and dangerous to people in the car.
    This thread is about the high voltage traction battery pack.

kenoarto likes this.
  20. Berch1943

Berch1943 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I’m talking about the high voltage. And I would also like to know if this is a lithium ion battery?