1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Battery Replacement (GenII) Like you've never seen - NEW Cylindrical Cells

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by 2k1Toaster, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I did NOT say you were a scammer.
    I DID say that the nature of your post.....the tone and format......looked a lot like what some scammers do.

I quit. Good luck.
    Just try to be careful that YOU don't get scammed.
    Some VERY smart people get sucked in occasionally.

toymo and kenoarto like this.
  2. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You make a compelling math argument, but what happens if your experiment fails (and we have sold our original cells for $800ish)? The owner will have to buy a new $2100 pack AND pay the $1350 core charge. $3450 + tax = $3800 - $800. Add the $2000 for your failed unit and the net total would be a whopping $5000 !!!

toymo likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    like any new product, it's buyer beware. not that difficult a concept.(n)

4. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Alas, the risk/reward ratio fundamentally flawed .

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed, that's for each individual to decide. the free market has a way of sorting these things out.

6. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We are basically talking a beta test of a proposed substitute battery, developed by a fellow American enthusiast.

Similar to the early stages of Re-Involt (Taylor was working on a beta test Lithium Prius replacement when Dorman took them over) and Boulder Hybrid Conversions which does plug-in conversions of Prii, based on generous Colorado incentives for such conversions. Maybe there should be new tax credit for saving a dead Prius with a new batt.

Keep in mind, Toyota often times does give Prii owners a 50% or higher discount on the new batts, as referenced above "goodwill" batts. But sometimes they don't, and you could be easily stuck with $4000 bill. Sometimes there is not time to wait to negotiate with Toyota, or self-repair the modules, you need to get your car back on the road. The refurb batts are becoming very unreliable and many owners spending a lot of time fiddling with multiple replacements of replacement batts.

Where is @SageBush when we need him? but he strongly felt that replacement with a new Toyota batt was the most logical solution, given current refurb options. At the moment we have no alternative to that recommendation.

#106 wjtracy, Jul 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
    Montgomery likes this.
  7. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    And in if you want to install a new pack yourself, some locations dealers simply REFUSE to sell a new battery to customers.

I just ran into this last week.

I basically ended up begging at 2 different dealers. No dice.

Ended up going to another dealer an hour away, but ended up having to go through an unbelievable amount of vetting before they would do it. Had to get the manager involved as well as my credit card company. Probably an additional 2 hours of my time... Before I even started wrenching!

8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What are the circumstances you were refused?

9. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Happens when I do mobile service or something like that out of my normal service area.

They don't have any local independent hybrid mechanics. So when I roll up asking to buy a hybrid pack they are dumbfounded.

This time I was told they had sold one once and got burned. I directed them to my website, my facebook page, my google reviews, and yelp. Didn't matter. They turned down a several thousand dollar sale. Whatever. I move on and call the next dealer.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i wonder how you get burned selling a battery.(n) with dealers, it's usually the other way around.:cool:

11. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Math isn't your strong-suit apparently...

• You spend $2000 on this. You now have a complete but failed OEM pack and a new kit.
    • You sell 26 (assume 2 bad) original modules on eBay. Recoup $780. You have spent $1220.
    • Pay $80 in eBay fees. You have spent $1300. You now have a fully working very not original pack with new cells
    • You decide to get a new Toyota pack because of your love of doing unneeded work. Toyota charges you $3800 and hands you a battery, no installation. You are now out $5100.
    • You spend $420 on eBay to buy failed batteries. You are now out $5520. You have 14 of my cells in your original fully working pack. You also have a second brand new pack from Toyota. And now you have 28 stock modules that are known bad sitting there.
    • You swap the bad modules into your original pack and return to Toyota for your $1350 back. You are now in the hole for $4170. You have a brand new uninstalled Toyota pack plus 14 of my modules.
    So your estimate is off by over 16% and you assume the worst. Additionally you are not taking into account why you started down this path in the first place. Your battery was failing. Meaning this experiment cost $2k if these cells are completely useless. And guess what? That's what they're being sold for! That's how math works...

My guess is the cells could be sold to a hobbiest again at a pretty good price. Just look at all the custom cells on eBay, types like these are going for about $50-$100 a piece.

Now if these cells work, then you have a brand new pack for $1.3k. And that's a smoking deal.

Fred_H, edthefox5 and Montgomery like this.
  12. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes. Both the local dealers in town refused to sell me a pack. I told them I understood about the core charge, just ring me up and give me a battery. After about a half hour at each one, I gave up and looked for a new path. It shouldn't be this hard to get serviced parts. I did get a free muffin and apple juice out of it though from the service waiting lounge... so there's that.

Montgomery likes this.
  13. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Like I said right now, the price is higher than it will eventually be and those that choose to test will get a substantial discount. I imagine there are people willing to try things out.

Fred_H likes this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  15. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Seriously, you need to go on one of those TV shows that allow you to promote your concept for financial backing.

16. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    DAMNED COOL!!!!!

In fact, because of the packaging, I would bet that if these are of similar build quality (even a little lower) they will outlast the OEM packs; simply because there is more room for airflow = better cooling. Just a guess, but tightly packaging stuff does not ever lead to "cooler" stuff.

17. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I can see there point. Dealer does not know your skill level does not know you and there is a chance you bring back the pack you just bought all blown up. Lots of paperwork.

So your service is to install a new Toyota pack in a customers car and then you bring there old pack back for credit. What do they do credit your cc?

What is the benefit to the customer having you do this versus the dealer turnkey install with full warranty? I think the dealer charges $500 labor for the install plus cost of pack.

18. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There are a GREAT number of dealers who hide from Hybrid repairs or simply provide outrageous estimates for same, in order to avoid them. These are very reliable vehicles with a knowledgeable owner base, something not ever dealer wants to work with.

19. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This is getting out of control. People....buy it if you want to try it. Don't buy it if you don't want to try it.
    Or... just keep your eyes open for the pack out of a wrecked Gen 3 and buy it for about 500-1000 bucks, depending on how lucky you are that day. There's plenty of websites and salvage yards and craigslist to check out. Geezzzzzzzzzzzz.
    I get gen 3 packs all the time when i need them. It's not that hard!!!

GrGramps likes this.
  20. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So a great many dealers will not install a brand new battery pack?