1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Battery Replacement (GenII) Like you've never seen - NEW Cylindrical Cells

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by 2k1Toaster, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Lesk_The_Glut

Lesk_The_Glut Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the info, 2k1 Toaster. I'm interested in trying your product. Hope to hear from you soon.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  2. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You cannot have pressure without restriction, so that comment is just silly.

The IMA system is also not as well controlled, charge or discharge, as that of the Toyota HSD. Working ANY battery thru more of it's capacity will reduce cycle life and increase temperatures.

The power of a cooling fan is not nearly as important as the care taken to design the SYSTEM, something Toyota clearly understood. If you look at the Honda airflow paths, specifically before 2011 (we are in the Gen2 forum), it is hideous and a miracle they get the life they do. This independently suggests that cylindrical cells may cool better.

Convective heat transfer????? Not. Heat transfer between the cells and air is by CONDUCTION - two objects (cells & air) in direct contact. Convection is a function of conduction, the mass of air flowing over the cell(s) and temperature differential between the two. Heat transfer is basically a function of mass and specific temperature (differences). The more mass of air that flows the greater the heat transfer for a given system and component temperatures. Reducing restriction increases flow and therefore the mass of air thru the system.

????

ROFLMAO!!! Obviously you have never experienced "wind chill"!!!!!

I never claimed the cooling WOULD be better, only that I could see how it could be. Greater airflow always improves cooling, but there is more area in the OEM cells to conduct the heat from. Given the very tight passages and infrequency of fan operation in our car, it seems that Toyota's BMS is mostly responsible for heat management in either case.

#142 05PreeUs, Jul 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    BK......the Prius is based on high velocity cooling?

I bought my car brand new 10 years ago. In that time I have only heard the battery fan come on once after leaving it in the sun with no tint and no shade all day.
    For the remaining 10 years never once have I heard that fan so it's on very low all the time. So low it barely pushes the little rubber vent flap. I use the hybridauto charger that forces the fan on full blast. Even at full blast there's not a lot of velocity coming out of that flap hole. So daily use in 95 degree temps does not require
    Hardly any velocity whatsoever. The battery does not seem to get very warm at during daily use.

Battery cooling is not critical at all.

4. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't really have dealer pricing.
    Take a look at other thread as to not bog down this one.

It has nothing to do with being a competitor.
    If nothing else it actually provides a stronger argument. They do not trust average Joe's to do the job correctly.

5. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think I would make that statement, but certainly battery power MANAGEMENT is the more important factor.

6. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Technically I am with 05PreeUS. BK to me is possibly hung up on some things...can't tell. That said, it would be a major technical accomplishment to successfully develop a non-Toyota new replacement batt as good and safe as the orig OEM. Even two-thirds as good as OEM is probably a winner.

It would be nice to get more input/advice from the battery experts in our PriusChat community.
    In addition to EricBecky, there is JDenenburg, 3ProngPaul, and less active these days but Paul Taylor of ReInvolt used to be on here, not to mention Sielerts and I apologize to the many others I missed.

I certainly see a need for such a product, if it can be done.

7. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Evasive non-answers.
    Let's try it another way:
    1) How much do you charge to instal a brand new Toyota battery? And how long is your warranty?
    2) How much will you charge to instal this experimental battery? And how long will your warranty be?

Data Daedalus likes this.
  8. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    An off brand, with no warranty, that is two-thirds as good, must also be AT LEAST one-third cheaper than the OEM. Otherwise, what is the point in taking an expensive risk?

Data Daedalus likes this.
  9. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Retail price for the Toyota batt easily runs $4000 at the dealer with Labor etc. So chances are this is cheaper. Also there can be delays getting the batteries installed at Toyota.

You can ask Toyota for discount, which works in some cases. But it will not work in many cases, eg; if the car is older or the battery has already been replaced with a Dorman or the owner messed with the cell replacements.

You are basically saying if you got goodwill coverage from Toyota for low cost replacement, or had access to @ericbecky in TX, why bother with this? But that is not the niche of this product.

I totally agree coming up with a successful product has hurdles: (1) first has to work technically, and then (2) people need to want to buy the product. These are hard hurdles to cross. But this is not Shark Tank, the business profit is 2k1's problem.

2k1Toaster likes this.
  10. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes and an off-brand with no warranty that is equal to or better than the original can be priced at equal to or higher than the original.

A Mercedes S63 AMG is $145k base and the Brabus 850 version is $375k which voids the MB warranty on everything that Brabus touches.

And again, as of right now this customized pack is 1/3rd cheaper than the original pack with the revenue from your old battery cells. So even if it is only 2/3rds as good, it meets your criteria and cost.

05PreeUs likes this.
  11. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    NOT CHEAPER! You are skewing the actual prices!
    We can buy brand new packs from a Toyota dealer for $2070. We can choose to get it installed at the dealer, at an independent shop (Lucious charges $300) or DIY. This experiment's price is the same as a genuine Toyota pack. At $2000+++ there is no rational reason for most people to take a (expensive) risk on this engineer's unproven project.

As I am a, soon-to-be customer, I find the OP's belligerent answers to be, staggeringly unconvincing.

#151 kenoarto, Jul 25, 2017
  12. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    From some dealers. Most charge more than that or refuse to sell to you. And remember you will need to pony up the core charge money upfront and get it back after you return your old pack.

Only the dealer that sold you the pack. I have never seen a dealer accept installation of a pack bought at another dealer even if it is a genuine Toyota pack.

No need for three plus signs. It is currently $2k, no plus signs. And if you are giving Toyota a $1350 credit for returning piece of your old pack, then you need to give a $700+++ credit to this project for selling old modules. That means you either compare $3.4k with $2k or $2k with $1.3k. Apples to apples.

There's nothing belligerent about the truth. I am not here to sugar coat anything. I have a physical item with real testing that performs in a certain way. Those are all facts.

Fred_H likes this.
  13. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh how I only wish Luscious Garage or Texas Hybrid Batteries would set up shop in northern Virginia.

I do agree that Luscious Garage price, whatever it is, is a good benchmark.

kenoarto likes this.
  14. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That is some painfully dishonest accounting. The core refund is a guaranteed, immediate refund from Toyota+++. You can't add to the cost of the battery. Your best-case, $700ish scenario, involves loosing ALL of that very same $1350+++ core refund if/when your experiment fails!!! At best, your scheme requires owners to take apart their dangerous HV battery packs and try to sell them slowly, piece by piece, via ebay and Craig's list ... over the course of God-knows-how long! Add time for packing and money for mailing materials+++. Add multiple trips to wait in line at UPS/FedEx and USPS+++. Add the likelihood that people will not be able to sell all of their old cells+++.

Most consumers just want their car fixed in a day or two and to pay for it with a credit card+++! And they want a warrantee+++. Informed consumers, however, wouldn't feel confident on the highway testing your rare, $2000+++ battery packs.

Having said that, your knockoff version of this design still looks good! We all wish you the best of luck. Please report (good and bad) back when you have more than a few short months of "real testing" on your one Prius. Cudos for trying, but you need to lower the price and do MUCH more real-world testing.

15. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just to add some more info:

Only if you give them the pack. If you are taking the pack home or to another dealer, it is not refunded until the pack is back in their hands. Typically the dealer refunds the core to the consumer and then Toyota refunds the dealer because Toyota corporate doesn't own the dealership where the transaction is happening. Also only guaranteed if all the bits are inside, but unlikely the dealer will open and inspect.

Already answered above. You can purchase dead modules on eBay with a Buy-It-Now price of $15/ea. So you would have an extra set of useless batteries plus a full core pack to return. Even assuming worst case, even half the discount would apply, and only applies if there is a catastrophic failure.

Yes, it requires the purchases to be DIYers with knowledge about the pack. I have never claimed anything different and nowhere have I said that this is a pack that your grandmother should consider purchasing. You need to be able to wrench on a car as well know how to deal with dangerous High Voltage. I am very clear and cautious about making it known that this is a DIY solution. No different than those buying modules off of eBay. One advantage being these are new, those are not.

I have also given statement fact about my selling of modules. I have accumulated way more modules than any one person should ever have... And I have listed them on eBay. I am selling a couple a day for $30 + s/h. I use the boxes that Amazon sends me and have yet to need to buy any materials or supplies. All recycled. I click a single button in eBay to print out a shipping label, stick it in the free pouch provided by UPS, affix to the box that has been taped up (that is a cost on my part, $3 per 100 yards), and the kind UPS man comes and picks it up. No lines, and no expense other than 1 page of black ink, 1 page of computer paper, a yard of packing tape, and 2-3 minutes of time. Considering the rate at which these are selling, I find it hard that they won't be sold. Also given that you can buy ones clearly labelled as dead and that so many of those have sold, there is a market somewhere for battery modules of any age and condition.

Again, the consumer that wants their car fixed in a day or two by a dealership, is not who I am talking to. And if someone like that wanted one of these, I wouldn't sell it to them. I don't know how I can make that any clearer. There are things in life people are willing to pay more for. Dealer servicing of a vehicle with original parts is one of those things that many people are willing to pay for. But that doesn't mean everyone wants to do that.

Thankyou for the good luck and I too hope it works out well. I wouldn't peddle something I didn't believe in. My claim has never wavered from these being experimental and that's why we are at this stage. I have real world testing on my one Prius as do 3 other people in the world. I agree that a sample size of 4 is insufficient, that's why I am asking for guinea pigs. In the future, the price should lower and there will be more real world testing. We are not at that stage. Right now this is a brand new product that has all the fixed startup costs associated with that and none of the efficiencies of production or economies of scale that time and customer feedback allows.

I know lots of people who never eat at a restaurant until it is reviewed, never buy a product until it has good reviews, etc. And that's fine. That's not me. I go where I think things should go and report back on my findings. Someone has to go first, and I have. Now people can go 5th, 6th, 7th, and beyond. Eventually with luck, enough people will have had experiences to report on their findings. If it doesn't work in the real world, we will find out. If it does work and things take off, we will find out. That's the beauty of a business gamble.

As always, I am here to answer any questions.

Blue Potato, Fred_H and DMC-5180 like this.
  16. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually...... they DO!

When you purchase a "major component" from a retailer, be it a dealer or jobber for "cash-n-carry", you DO GET CHARGED the core price on your bill. Only AFTER you return the core do you get your money back. Now, if you have core in hand and leave it, you get an instant credit for it.

That does not change the MATH....

New OEM HV packs run, let's say $2k for argument sake (good luck getting a dealer to sell it for that, OTC), therefore:
    $2k + $1350 core = $3350, once you return the core to the dealer and it is accepted (BIG if, especially if not an OE pack at some dealers), your net parts cost discounting tax would be $2k.

If you purchase an aftermarket HV kit from the OP (as an example, NOT an endorsement), the kit is $2k and you still have a core worth ~$1350, or individual cells go for at LEAST $40/ea x 28 = $1120 and there is $$$$ to be made in shipping. Therefore your net parts cost discounting tax, assuming shipping is a wash, would be $2k-$1120 = $880

Now, there is nowhere on EARTH where ~$900 is 2/3 the cost of a new OEM HV pack for a Gen2.

17. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In all fairness, I wouldn't trust average joes not to screw it up either. Not to mention it's a pretty big electrical hazard that most people aren't trained to work around.

If Jerry Springer had a Priuschat episode, I imagine that it would look like this thread.

18. BK310CH

BK310CH Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Technically correct, but irrelevant as MANY factors influence airflow. Please research ideal gas low and obtain a basic understanding of fluid dynamics.

Cycling through more of its capacity does not increase temperature. Current flow increases temperature. Again, while the Honda systems permit more total range, they don't routinely run SoC down to 20%.

You tout the importance of the design of the cooling system, yet you then completely dismiss it with your speculation. You have a cooling system designed for prismatic cells with a given spacing and a given section thickness... yet somehow putting in widely horizontally spaced cylinders with tightly packed vertical spacing and fatter cross section is better.

I'm very aware of the IMA cooling system configuration. There were three primary configurations, and all had their problems because of... the airflow characteristics of cylindrical cells. So Honda's cooling system DESIGNED for cylindrical cells suck, but somehow Toyota's system designed for prismatic cells will work better than ALL when prismatic cells are replaced with cylindrical cells.

Triple negatives of your own admission... yet you speculate it will be better.

You lack even a fundamental understanding of the terminology:

Conduction: "the process by which heat or electricity is directly transmitted through a substance when there is a difference of temperature or of electrical potential between adjoining regions, without movement of the material."

Conduction occurs where cells are in contact with other cells.

I will also take the opportunity to correct myself. The correct terminology is "forced convection". By simply using "convection" I was technically inaccurate because the airflow is forced. Note that conduction does not play into it in any meaningful way when compared to the convective heat transfer (forced).

This is irrelevant. Do yourself a favor and check the NASA link. It will dispel any notion you might have that airflow around a cylinder is remotely better than airflow through a very well defined nearly straight channel.

With basic understanding of the principles, you can't see it. Greater airflow does not always improve cooling if other alterations are made or if the geometry itself causes disruptive changes. Again, check the NASA link for proof that more airflow around a cylinder doesn't improve cooling.

"Infrequency of fan cooling" - what do you base this on? There are 7 fan speeds, 0-7. The fan is only audible against normal ambient noise when the fan is on 5 or 6. On speed 5, you're battery is about 120°F, and you're not going to hear it unless you are paying more attention to it than the road. The speed that everyone hears it on is 6, when your battery is at about 130°F. Just because you can't hear it doesn't mean it's not on. I can tell you that any time the battery is above about 90-95°F, the fan is on based on much recorded data from Torque Pro and the extended PIDs.

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    toyota dealers are all over the map on price. those who can get for close to 2k may choose to go oem.
    but those who are quoted much more may find this a good alternative, if they can find an installer.

and then, there's the toyota reman with all new, edit: old cells, in cali for $1,850.

#159 bisco, Jul 25, 2017
    kenoarto likes this.
  20. BK310CH

BK310CH Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Given the dramatic configuration change, an apples to apples comparison between the two sensor configurations isn't valid. You have 112 additional potential hot spots in the cylindrical pack. That is of course not practical, but to get a representative sample, you would need at least another 30 sensor locations to establish the thermal condition of the cells. You could probably get away with 20, and you could probably get away with only doing 4 at a time, but if you haven't done an actual thermal survey of the pack, you can't make any claims as to its temperature.

If all you have is comparative readings from the 3 sensors, your data is meaningless. Those sensor positions are at high flow locations in the pack and I would not be surprised will actually read lower due to higher flow past the sensors as you will get more airflow BETWEEN the cells but over less of their surface area. You have compromised airflow in 112 locations, and you know nothing about those locations.

You may be a genius with electronics; however, you do not appear to have competency in at least some mechanical principles, aerodynamics, fluids or heat transfer. By comparison, I know almost nothing beyond V = I * R and P = I * V.

Since I have a feeling no one is bothering with the NASA link:

upload_2017-7-25_18-24-31.png
    upload_2017-7-25_18-25-33.png

Judge for yourself if STACKED cylinders will fair better..

toymo and kenoarto like this.