1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Battery Replacement Kit (GenII/GenIII) with NEW custom cells

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by 2k1Toaster, Oct 13, 2017.

1. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Dumb question...will the Gen3 pack also fit the Prius v wagon? I'm assuming so but just thought I'd ask to be sure.

2. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Isn't the Gen3 NiMH cells in the boot and the V wagon LiIons in the armrest? That is if the V wagon is the same as the "Prius +" in the Netherlands. And if my memory isn't playing tricks on me.

3. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Dug this up from another thread :

"There has been a lot of negative discussion regarding Toyota's decision to use a lithium-ion battery in Europe and Japan, but not here in the US."

So the USA Prius v wagon does not have lithium-ion...

R-P likes this.
  4. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I stand corrected... :)
    Are they in the armrest? Or in the rediculously big cavity in the boot? When I saw one when it was first shown with the Plug-in at a meet from the Importer, I remember opening the boot and looking down the empty spare-wheel-well and thinking it was an enormous waste of space... (screaming to be filled with loadss of batteries or a 18" subwoofer+enclosure)

padroo likes this.
  5. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Before the Gen 4 Prius, the only US models with Li-Ion was the Plugin Prius. Trim One & Two Gen 4 have NiMH. The others have Li-ion, as does the Prime. I believe some 2018 Camry Hybrid trims are NiMH too.

-Jere likes this.
  6. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Prius v hybrid battery is behind the rear seat. The 12 volt battery is in one side of the cargo area.

7. SpaceCityHybrids

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five

Yup, if it wasn't there, the V would have a 3rd row option.

8. Larryy

Larryy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, It's been more than a week now and all is well. The Prius now lays rubber in 3 gears and I beat a '69 Camaro with a blown 427cuin. big block in a drag race. In other dreams, my Prius drove me home after I fell asleep at party. I woke up the next morning neatly tucked in bed and wondered, How did Prius do that? Could only be the cylindrical cells!

Shane Burns, Fredsimm, WHCSC and 2 others like this.
  9. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Even a Tesla cannot do that!

Cars shouldn’t let friends drive drunk | PriusChat

Larryy likes this.
  10. Jayw13702

Jayw13702 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It’s a shame that kits like this are not available in the UK. It seems the only route is either secondhand battery, secondhand cells or brand new battery
    The first two may not solve the issue and the latter is big money

2010 Gen 3

11. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Private message @2k1Toaster I believe he has sold outside the US already.

Jayw13702 likes this.
  12. Larryy

Larryy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, actually, I have two friends with Tesla Model S and they just might say this could happen. After all, Elon Musk got a rocket to spot land on its tail.

13. TerryM

TerryM Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Received my kit on January 19th. Unfortunately someone in the shipping chain dropped the package on its side. The cylindrical cells broke the end caps on that side of the package. After a couple messages to Nick determining which ends were broken, he sent replacements out next day air. I had them in the next day, and after realizing I didn't snap the sense wire harness in ( thanks to an interruption by my inquisitive neighbor) it was up and running Thursday the 25th. I have put a little over 100 miles on it with nothing more exciting than it now runs like it should again. Previous battery had been "repaired" by the used car dealer I bought it from at 194k miles.I drove 16k miles over 18 months before it failed again. Glad to not have to worry about rapid charge and discharge that the old repair began showing about a month ago. If anyone is interested the dealer had replaced one module in the 2005 pack with one from 2012. It was the one that caused the P0080. I was surprised a gen 3 module would last that long with 27 gen 2's

14. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Interesting,
    I believe there was some discussion from @TMR-JWAP and others about mixing generations of modules. It is generally frowned upon but they knew of nobody that had tried it.

In another thread it was mentioned that @2k1Toaster kits are backordered until April. I guess business must be picking up.

Larryy likes this.
  15. Larryy

Larryy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I didn't think it worthy of mention until now but my kit also suffered some handling damage. It was limited to several of the sticks had been bent in the middle join and the shrink wrap had fractured. I spoke to Nick about it and he was willing to send 2 replacement modules right away. I declined the offer when he agreed with me that simply straightening the sticks would be OK and he would still honor the warranty. I did that, and indeed none of the welds popped. I wrapped the broken shrink wrap with electrical tape, assembled the pack and it is just fine. It would appear that despite a very good packaging job, it wasn't good enough to withstand the shipping trolls.

m.wynn, SFO, Jayw13702 and 1 other person like this.
  16. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks. I always find it refreshing to hear of excellent customer service. It is getting extremely difficult to find.
    I suspect many people today have never experienced superior service like that.

Jayw13702 and farmecologist like this.
  17. Larryy

Larryy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Prodigyplace likes this.
  18. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, but I just got 1 full pack available now. Basically it was the cannibalized pack to ship out the spare plastics which I now have new plastics in as I ordered some extra of stuff. So someone will be getting a pack a bit early. :)

Well the two packs that suffered damage (including yours) were sent in the larger boxes. Not to bore everyone to death, but those are the boxes I use to air-freight my batteries from China to the US. So they go through ground transport in China, air transport to California or Ohio and then ground transport in the US and arrive to me. Never any damage in all the kits shipped this expensive way. But I re-used the boxes to then send out to you guys and both were damaged. I am guessing the non-commercial UPS delivery guys don't like boxes like that. I don't know what else the problem could be. Everyone else in the past and going forwards I repack into a 12x12x24 box with the heavy batteries on the bottom and the long box uptop. That's much easier to "bear hug" and carry versus the large box which I am guessing was thrown, dragged, kicked, whatever. So lesson learned about these large boxes on residential deliveries. It's unfortunate because I have way too many boxes. I am just transferring from a perfectly good box to another perfectly good box after checking and testing which seems wasteful. Oh well. I have found the big 24x20x6 boxes are good for keeping tape+reel components for some of my other businesses. But I only need so many...

Thanks! I know when I am in the middle of a project I don't want to wait a week or two for a replacement something so simple. Overnight air delivery it is! No guarantees or promises obviously, but I do try my best.

John Dadmun, Cyvan and Prodigyplace like this.
  19. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Update.
    I just pressed my cylindrical pack back into service again.

Installed as a loaner pack in a customer's Prius while we wait for the replacement pack they ordered.

So the pack has been sitting in storage, appropriately charged, for about 6 weeks. Took it off the shelf and installed it in the car with zero issues.

20. DMC-5180

DMC-5180 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Is your customer waiting for a cylindrical pack?

iPhone X ?

Prodigyplace likes this.