1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Battery Replacement Kit (GenII/GenIII) with NEW custom cells

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by 2k1Toaster, Oct 13, 2017.

1. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nope.
    It is part of a longer complex, kinda boring story.
    I'll spare you the story and keep this thread on track.

Raytheeagle and Prodigyplace like this.
  2. DMC-5180

DMC-5180 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, now you peeked my interest on the “the rest of the story” boring as it may be.

Feel free too PM me.

iPhone X ?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Now you've got my interest piqued.
    Why did he look at your interest? o_O:rolleyes:;)

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. Mavi

Mavi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Just curious if your kit will work with GEN4 prius 2016+? I believe the US uses the same NIMH which are cross compatible with the GEN2/3.

5. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    OK. Short sidebar story.
    It's basically a car a customer bought from a local dealer who often sells crap Prius and misrepresents my prices. The dealer tells people that a new battery is only a few hundred dollars and not to worry about the battery health. Even on 250,000+ mile cars. This dealer has sold people cars with the triangle of death on.

I wanted the customer whose recently-purchased car has a bad pack (and I feel got ripped off by the dealer) to be able to at least drive their Prius while he saved up for a pack.

m.wynn, Raytheeagle and Prodigyplace like this.
  6. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Most of US Gen 4 (2 ECO and up) use Li-Ion batteries. Trim Two, & likely One use NiMH with a higher grade of Nickel.
    I doubt @2k1Toaster has a harness built for Gen 4 Trim Two.

padroo likes this.
  7. DMC-5180

DMC-5180 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Damned auto correct. Yeah, yeah that’s the ticket, yeah.

iPhone X ?

Prodigyplace likes this.
  8. koukilights

koukilights Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I read your HV battery replacement has a 2 year 25k mile warranty. Realistically how long will this pack last in my car? 200k miles or so like oem? Or something around 100k?

Looks like I'm pretty close to you, do you do local pick up?

Do you still have stock? Or are you on back order right now?

9. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A while back the kit was backordered until April. @2k1Toaster would have updated information.
    You can start a conversation here on the forum to private message him. His web site linked in my signature should have some contact information too.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  10. taxibuddy

taxibuddy Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    This is absolutely the question that needs answering. Please correct me if I'm wrong but I haven't seen anyone post that they've logged even 50k. Unfortunately, I think only time will tell.

The NYC taxi fleet I'm familiar with still buys new replacement Toyota packs, but of course they need immediate availability. A lot of private owners need near immediate availability too so there are an awful lot of people for which this business model isn't going to work.

kenoarto likes this.
  11. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My original HV battery lasted 11 years and about 123k miles. I expect that 2K1Toaster's will last about the same, but I really don't care. I'm not going to keep my 2006 another 11 years.

When I got one of the first from 2K1Toaster half a year ago, I'd been playing whack-a-mole with the old pack for several months. I didn't dare take the car on any long trips. I used Techstream to try and predict which module would be the next to go. I learned all I could about the options, ranging from continuing whack-a-mole up to paying my local Toyota dealer their barefoot price of about $4000.

If money is no object, just pay whatever your local Toyota dealer wants. But if you're driving a car old enough to need a replacement HV battery, I suspect that money is important. The 2K1Toaster battery is $1600 plus installation. You get to keep the old battery that you can turn into a hobby for someone else's whack-a-mole project.

I'd sort of like to tell you all the performance data about how the new battery behaves. But I just haven't collected any. The new battery just works, and I have zero interest in obsessing about it any more.

John Dadmun, Larryy, R-P and 2 others like this.
  12. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Terrific to hear your new battery is working well.

As the first of these new batteries were sent at the end of October, and probably installed around the beginning of November, it is more accurate to say "one third of a year ago (4ish months)".

More importantly, the genuine Toyota battery is available from several Toyota dealers for $1625 (the official list price was lowered to $1950 and is frequently discounted). *Snark on*I am SHOCKED that this vendor hasn't changed his "fact" sheet for his "original" design.*Snark off*

13. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Pretty sure list price is still over $2,000.

I haven't had a confirmation of a dealer charging wholesale of $1,625. Although I've seen it under $1,700.

Prodigyplace and Raytheeagle like this.
  14. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Here is a confirmed price of $1625 with the MSRP of $1950 at a genuine Toyota dealer that sells to everyone.
    There are at least two others dealers that are selling for $1625 and been published on this thread.
    Battery - Toyota (G9510-47031) | Toyota Parts

Battery - Toyota (G9510-47031)
    • List Price:$1,950.00
    • You Save:$324.20 (17% off)
    • Sale Price:$1,625.80
    • Core Charge:$1,350.00

15. taxibuddy

taxibuddy Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The NYC taxi garage I'm familiar with charges $2500 installed for a new Toyota battery. For comparison purposes they charge $3500 installed for an engine swap (from a low mileage wrecked car) and $1500 for a head gasket repair. All these prices are for the v which is the only Prius that can be a yellow cab.

I'm hopeful that this new option will be successful, but I'm not ready to put down my money. Kudos to the early adopters who are giving it a go. They are doing all of us a huge favor.

Larryy and kenoarto like this.
  16. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wow. If they are paying $1625 for the part, that comes to $900 for 3 hours of labor.

17. taxibuddy

taxibuddy Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I have no idea of their costs, I just know the out the door cash price. You bring twenty-five $100 bills and you drive out with a new battery so that number includes tax. This garage is in Long Island City just across the East River from Manhattan so the rent ain't cheap. Maybe you can haggle them down. I didn't actually need a battery. I just asked the prices out of curiosity.

kenoarto and Raytheeagle like this.
  18. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    But will Toyota sell their battery to me for $1625? Many dealers simply will not sell a battery over the counter to individuals. Then there's tax and/or shipping charges. Either will add another $200 or so. Your core must be "acceptable", which means that repainted units from slick willy don't qualify. Add another $1350...

The same dealer who lists the battery for $1625 wants $1993 for a Prius V battery. Competitive rather than cost-of-goods pricing? If a small operation like 2K1Toaster can undercut Toyota just think what an operation like Dorman could manage.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  19. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    SMH! This is a repeat of the repeat of a post about Toyota dealers who will sell the Toyota battery to YOU for $1625.

Here is a confirmed price of $1625 with the MSRP of $1950 at a genuine Toyota dealer that sells to everyone.
    There are at least two others dealers that are selling for $1625 and been published on this thread.
    Battery - Toyota (G9510-47031) | Toyota Parts

Battery - Toyota (G9510-47031)
    • List Price:$1,950.00
    • You Save:$324.20 (17% off)
    • Sale Price:$1,625.80
    • Core Charge:$1,350.00

20. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good for those within convenient driving distance of (or those prepare to make a road trip to) Kansas City.

Prodigyplace, RobH and Raytheeagle like this.