1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Battery Replacement Kit (GenII/GenIII) with NEW custom cells

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by 2k1Toaster, Oct 13, 2017.

1. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Seriously?

Well for those that won't follow links here is the battery in the link added to my cart to purchase from them in a screenshot:

toyota_e_store.jpg

As you can see the price is not $2000. It is $2083.88 plus a $1350 core charge plus a $1 Handling Fee (???) plus minimum of $350.00 SHIPPING bringing the grand total to $3784.88 including the refundable $1350 core charge. Will your local Toyota dealership take that core? Answer: No. People have tried that without success in the past. I guess that means you have to mail your core in? Another $350?

My original statement:

Assuming the site has an offer for $350 in free shipping to you, and you live next door to them and your shipping to them is free, your OTD total is $2084.88. That's a $15.12 from my "Best Toyota Price (NEW)" bullet. You don't think that's honest? Especially considering the minimum $350 in shipping required from them to you and your $350 shipping back to them.

We've been on this site long enough to know where the deals are. There is a dealer in Texas and one in Georgia that sell them for $2100 with free pickup that honours the online pricing and that is it in the CONUS. It is an extremely rare deal that only matters to a few individuals. However, I was being upfront enough to mention an entire bullet point for these guys.

So your claim is yet again... FALSE.

2. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    And for completeness, here is my invoice for a CEBA pack. Just like I said.

prius_ceba_invoice.jpg

The price for a single pack of something different on Alibaba is $1000. $900 if you buy multiple packs like an installer.

I bought an extra module to do testing on. So subtract $75.

$1000 pack price plus $370 shipping plus 5% bank fee is $1438 (105% of $1370). When it arrived I had to pay UPS a customs duty of $33 plus a $45 brokerage fee. Since I have a high end business UPS account, they refunded me the brokerage fee but Joe Blow would pay the $45. That brings the grand total to $1516 for a CEBA pack.

That's a long way away from $900 for something that looks kind of similar but isn't the same. Again, your statement proves to be FALSE.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Kenoarto,
    I have not decided the cost to install yet.

I have not found any Toyota dealers willing to ship that part (HV Battery) to customers. I left a message to the dealer you linked to. Maybe they are an exception. (EDIT: Confirmed that they WILL NOT SHIP.)

In fact many people live in areas where the dealer will not even sell it across the counter. Not even to independent hybrid mechanics like myself.

For the vast majority of folks, even if their local dealer will sell the part it is for retail price (above $2,500) not the online or wholesale price (closer to $2,080)

There is an audience for this kit. For example, folks who want a pack with NEW cells, but noone in their area will sell it to them.

I have not seen any local dealer that is installing a new pack for $3,000 (unless the customer has been given a consideration by Toyota corporate) In fact I have personally received quotes as high as $5,200.

But this is not the place to debate pricing of OEM parts. There is a separate thread for that.

Let's keep this focused on this cylindrical system and batteries. I especially hope others weigh in who have purchased.

#23 ericbecky, Oct 19, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
    iskoos, Raytheeagle and 2k1Toaster like this.
  4. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've added a few more pics to the album.

I completed the pack construction, installed it in the car, and took it for a drive about town. Worked flawlessly.

Given my overly-full schedule, and the fact that this is not an urgent need for me, I only worked on building the pack in very small increments of time (15 or 20 minutes) over several days. I had an extra shell lying around the shop so that made it even easier. The car was only down for a very short time while I swapped out the existing pack and stuck in the cylindrical pack that I had built on the bench.

I will drive it around with the new pack for a while and report back periodically.

Feel free to post questions on this thread or give me a call directly.

uart, kenoarto, m.wynn and 5 others like this.
  5. Mavi

Mavi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    How much miles per gallon do you now get with the new battery? Did it restore it back to factory levels?

6. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My original Prius battery was fine. No issues.

I purchased the cylindrical pack just as a test in my personal car before installing in any in customer cars.

For the record I usually get mid 40's to low 50's for mpg. I tend to drive around posted speeds 55mph in 55 zone. 70mph in 70 zone.

#26 ericbecky, Oct 19, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
    kenoarto and 2k1Toaster like this.
  7. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Glad you got it installed Eric! And thanks for documenting it along the way.

Keep us posted as to how it behaves.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  8. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Once this is proven by multiple installs for multiple thousands of accumulated miles, then the advantage of a complete kit including all the parts and an installation manual will become apparent especially if you are able to keep the price down. As cars age, it makes less people willing to put major repair money into them.

For another brand of car with very different technology, I have been following for at least 6 years the saga of folks trying to nit pick a shop which developed a replacement kit complete with many other improved parts, tools and complete revived and improved many times instructions (with now an approved installer network). People keep touting the $30 generic as being equal to the key part (it isn't) versus the completely 10k-installs-proven one at ~$750. Failure would cost ~$6k for a replacement engine.

Good luck. Applause to the guy willing to invest his time and money into putting this kit together. He deserves to make some money as a result of that investment.

Installers, please keep the feedback coming to this thread. It is how this kit will develop its reputation.

Mendel Leisk and kenoarto like this.
  9. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Would be cool if I could figure out a transparent case so folks could see the cylindrical modules.

I have a hybrid car club meeting come up next month. Would be fun to show off a bit.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  10. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In total, would you say this takes more or less time than your usual battery swap?

11. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Compared to doing a full module replacement with OEM modules it would take a similar amount of time.

Some things takes a few moments more (individual plastic covers instead of only 4), some things take a few moments less (not having to attach rubber vent onto each module).

That said, at my shop I don't currently do a ton of full module replacements because of the overall labor involved. As opposed to a home diy-er, my labor is not free.

Comparison of amount of time involved in jobs. Least amount is first.
    - Fully assembled pack replacement
    - Partially assembled pack replacement (like new from Toyota)
    - Single module replacement (somewhat depends on module's location in the pack)
    - Full Module replacement (with OEM modules or aftermarket)

This assumes the parts are prepped and ready to go. No additional cleaning, balancing, charging/discharging needed.

2k1Toaster and Raytheeagle like this.
  12. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The post 1 pics look like a bunch of D cells. :LOL:

I am curious. Is it possible to mix some modules into an existing OEM battery?

13. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In general, mixing new and old cells does not work. Too much difference in characteristics which the car won't like. Different capacity. Different internal resistance. Different charge/discharge curves.

14. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    How about just cutting one or two rectangular windows on the backside and covering with some plexiglass.

2k1Toaster and Prodigyplace like this.
  15. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've read that experienced, pro installers can swap out fully assembled packs in a half hour.

Since new OEM modules can't be purchased individually, you must have created full sets from several used carcasses. That takes a lot of testing and balancing. Not a commonly successful DIYer solution.

So to be accurate, this new kit takes a couple of hours to build the battery plus the usual time to install? Sounds like it is a good plan to suggest DIYers plan half a day for assembly and another half for install.

#35 kenoarto, Oct 20, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  16. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    For these kinds of things I always advise DIY-ers not to put unnecessary stress on yourself.
    Don't start on a Sunday evening expecting to be ready for 8am on Monday.
    No reason to put that much stress on yourself. Haste makes waste. Or worse yet...Haste makes injury or death.

Start on a Friday evening. Get the pack out of the car.
    Do some disassembly of the pack on Saturday morning. Have some lunch. Put the pack back together in the afternoon and evening.
    Spend a leisurely Sunday putting the assembled pack back in the car in the morning/afternoon. Drive it around.

If you go with this plan, then if you happen to get ahead of schedule, great.
    But if things go poorly, you also have time to arrange alternate transportation, etc.
    As opposed to stressing out because of starting late Sunday and expecting perfection by night's end.

17. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    When I was playing wack-a-mole module repair on my original pack, by the third round I could remove the pack from car, disassemble and reassemble pack, and reinstall in about 3 hours. It probably took me 1/2 a day the first time.

When I finally gave up on that and got Matt at texashybridbatteries.com to install a new Toyota pack, it took him about an hour and that was with us talking the whole time.

Raytheeagle and 2k1Toaster like this.
  18. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just wondering how long is your half a day vs 3 hours?
    How much did the new Toyota pack cost you (parts and labor)?

#38 kenoarto, Oct 20, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  19. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's just Energizer cells I've saved over the years powering my Atari Lynx wrapped in red duct tape!

(kidding, hopefully obvious)

No really. You'd have to replace 2 minimum to get the bus bar to line up, which would be 4 OE Toyota modules. And as @ericbecky has said, it is never a good idea to mix old cells with new cells. This is really the only real option to get new modules apart from the original Toyota battery.

hill, Raytheeagle and Prodigyplace like this.
  20. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just called a local dealer. $3350 for a fully installed, new Toyota battery with a 3 year Toyota warranty. 5 hours of labor, $2330 for battery. DIY preemptive replacement at $2000, $1600 or $1300 is very, very tempting. Sure hope the new kits work out in the long run.

Prodigyplace likes this.