1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Battery Replacement Kit (GenII/GenIII) with NEW custom cells

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by 2k1Toaster, Oct 13, 2017.

1. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Glad you like it and got it up and running! Keeping another Prius on the road, is a good goal met. :)

Completely agree. My instruction manual artist is working on the revisions I had for the provisional manual this coming week. Kits that ship in May, should have the new clearer instructions. What makes it difficult is that it is opposite for Gen-2 and Gen-3 which is really annoying as otherwise it looks the same. I have no idea why Toyota decided to do that. Also I diverted the artist for a couple months working on another of my product lines that has a mid-April hard deadline for release to market.

As it is now, I try to answer questions as fast as I can via phone, text, and email.

Yup again. Not much can be done with that unfortunately. On my pack I was able to slightly heat the cables to get their memory to loosen a bit and put the slack in the electronics area like it should be. But I don't recommend people using an industrial heatgun around their brand new batteries... I don't think there is a good solution for that, but hopefully that is the only slight difference between stock and my pack.

Do you have an opinion on the difficulty to install my pack versus rebuilding a stock pack since you've done both. I have an opinion, but may be slightly biased. :D

Raytheeagle likes this.
  2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thank you for sharing your experience ;).

And we’ll said(y).

Jayw13702 likes this.
  3. peecee

peecee Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well the time has come for me to replace the hybrid battery. I've checked everything I can think of, and all cells (except one) are between 7.5 and 7.9. The one is a 6.4. Seems like it's the best option, and at $67/month, will be just fine to extend the life of the ride another two years.

bisco likes this.
  4. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You're just trying to do a whack a.mule approach. It isn't just replacing the modules. You might do that, getting some temporal reprieve. But you'd sure get back to doing the same thing some day again. You got to discharge/recharge the new modules, and balance em up with the existing modules in your car.

5. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I think you misunderstood:

$67 x 24 months = $1600.00 USD (the cost of the kit)

Raytheeagle likes this.
  6. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    What about trying the prolong discharge/charge system to 'refresh' the battery?

7. Mavi

Mavi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    A good idea.. much better if you want to keep it longer than 6 months. I did the whack a mole method.. and i've been good for 6 months but my mpg dropped 10 percent as well.. so theres that as well. You'll see slightly better mpg with a new battery.

Dxta likes this.
  8. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It won’t do any good, as one module has a bad cell. There is no coming back from that. The only option in this case, is to replace the bad module first, then you can charge and balance the battery.

The poster does not want to do this and is happy to spend $67/m to replace with new modules.

Of course it likely will go another 6-8 years after that, so they are “free” years.

Dxta likes this.
  9. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II

Ok..for some reason I didn't catch the fact that the OP has bad cell(s).

10. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think I understood him. I'm just concerned about him not doing the discharge/recharge thingy. Appears he just wants to replace the bad module, and go. That's a typical plug and play scenario.

11. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This thread is about an alternative to new OEM packs. If the user was going to do module replacement they either would have stated that clearly or posted in a module replacement thread.

12. MTL_hihy

MTL_hihy Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Static voltages don't tell you much except on modules where one cell has completely reversed/failed. You absolutely need to load test every module, then check their capacity and match them if you want to have a battery pack that will not require constant tinkering. Not sure why people don't spend the extra time to do it right but I guess if you have some free time on your hands why not try the whack a mole approach and see if you get lucky. As said above the HA Prolong setup will help keep well functioning pack going longer but once those cells have reversed/failed the only way to fix it is to replace the offending module completely.

13. peecee

peecee Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I guess I thought once one of the cells drops below a certain range, it would seem to be the death knell for the pack. I'll probably look around the site this weekend for some other alternatives. The car has over 260k on it, and does seem to be displaying the signed of a bad battery pack. I got the RTOD Wednesday, and tried to scan and reset. The lights go away for about 3 minutes, then they all come back. So I used a procedure to test each battery cell. It seemed like the effort to find and replace one cell would last a few months, until the next one went bad. I had thought about going the Prolong route, and I may end up doing that prior to dropping the coin on the replacement pack, because I guess I'll need that anyway.

Yes, I plan to keep this car to 1,000,000,000 or longer. lol.

14. Mavi

Mavi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    You won't need the prolong if you change the battery. The new battery should last 8-10 years. The prolong approach takes about a week of downtime per each module that fails, and you usually don't know unless you load test each. You'll be down like 600 already for the prolong.. might as well just pay 1k more and get the new battery pack, then sell your older decent cells on ebay for 300-400 or so for all of them.

15. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You really ubderstood exactly what I have being saying all along in my comments here to the OP, and others.

What I still think the OP is trying to do is to whack a mule. Those aren't sustainable. One needs to spend the time necessary, to discharge/recharge and balance the new modules with the potential used one he wants to get off eBay.

16. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How is @2k1Toaster the OP of this thread trying to play whack a mule by developing a new cell alternative to Toyota’s packs?

17. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ooooops! I shouldn't have said OP maybe. I wanted to say, he's comments, were in line, with what I had in mind.
    Terribly sorry, if you got me wrong.

18. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It’s whack a mole. It’s an American arcade game. You whack one mole another pops up.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  19. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It can be fun to play in an arcade setting. I actually enjoyed the spider stomping version better because it was all electric, just lights, so there wasn't a mechanical delay for the mole to physically pop-up in the hole. This allowed for some modifications. The arcade near me (now since shut down :( ) had a spider game (Spider Stomp?) that was modified so you could never win. Just got faster and faster and faster and eventually more than 2 would light up at a time requiring hands and feet, etc.

They also had original Konami DDR machines imported from Japan with the real pads, real metal cages, and all the songs. Not just the stripped out version sold for the US mall arcades...

It was sad when they sold that place and made it a call centre.

20. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    [offtopic]I had this in a slotmachine where there was a double-or-nothing button. I could time it with >90% accuracy, so I could actually 'beat' the machine. But it would change frequency after doubling up three times, and I would continue, thinking I could still time it even though it was faster now.

I couldn't.

So I only played this with a friend: I'd time the doubling button, he would hit the 'cash-out' button after three times before I could loose all our profit on the fourth 'double-or-nothing' try. We never lost on that machine if we played together. And we were happy with a win of 2$, would take our profit and not play for another week.
    [/offtopic]