1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Battery Replacement Kit (GenII/GenIII) with NEW custom cells

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by 2k1Toaster, Oct 13, 2017.

1. DyingBattery

DyingBattery Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey! Yeah, I got the NPB kit, I’m pretty good with my hands and mechanical stuff, just don’t have the right tools, would love to work alongside someone with experience and learn as we go. Would be awesome if you’re actually down!

Prodigyplace and Raytheeagle like this.
  2. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm already busy organizing events...
    - InsightFest 2018 (5 year anniversary edition)
    - Annual Dive Electric Week event (4th year?)
    - Hybrid Car Club meetings (Since 2004)
    - Tesla Car Club meetings

My bandwith is a little constrained.

But if there is enough interest I'd be happy to have an assembly party. I'd buy the packs and have them delivered here. Folks could then assemble it together as a group.
    I'd probably have to charge something for my time, but hopefully people would find it worthwhile?

3. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Since @2k1Toaster likes this perhaps a group discount? :LOL:

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The hard part is getting a group of people to coordinate their battery failures all at the same time.

Else some people will end up waiting for other people. Or end up possibly doing a preemptive changeover to the new modules.

Hmm, while a party sounds fun, not sure how it would work out logistically.

Anyone, if anyone wants to have some guidance locally give me a call and we can see if we can work something out.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  5. peecee

peecee Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    After seeing P0301, P0A80, and P3081 (I think those were the codes), I decided to drop the money and replace the hybrid battery with one from 2ktoaster. Rather than spend the money on Prolong, try to isolate the bad cell and still have a questionable system, I just figured this would be the most direct route to getting the car back on the road. The car has been running flawlessly otherwise, so I'm pretty sure this is it.

m.wynn, audiodave, chelvis and 3 others like this.
  6. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Smart move!

7. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just an update, quite a few batteries have been sold for the July order and there are only a few spots left. Once again, looks like there may not be any stock on the shelves once they do arrive. I'm expecting them to start their voyage from China tomorrow.

Prodigyplace and fotomoto like this.
  8. Electricae

Electricae Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi all, wanted to throw out a quick run-down of my experience with 2k1Toaster's Gen II kit I bought.

Shipping was speedy and batteries were well protected - no dents, or scoffs, etc. Install was very straight forward with the manual provided. The one thing I recommend getting is a impact driver or drill with a socket adapter to unscrew and re-screw the numerous little bolts on the bottom of the pack (the ones that hold in each battery cell). I would also invest in some 1000v electrician's gloves to be on the safe side - depending on your understanding of electricity. Final comment on technical, install details: there's a flimsy piece of metal that you'll encounter around where the high-voltage lines (coming from the engine compartment on the driver side) make first contact with the battery pack contacts; take note of how this was installed and be gently with it. I didn't think much of it and did not treat mine gently, which then required me to do another disassemble to bend that thing back to shape so that it would ground properly (props to 2k1Toaster for troubleshooting with me via email).

So how are they working out? I wanted to wait a few months until I got some good mileage on them before I said anything. Gen II Prius with 237k is getting 48MPG on a commute that requires me to climb a steep 2,000 feet there and back. So stoked to have this thing running again, and so well at that. I don't know 2k1Toaster in person, but based on my experience with these batteries, the help he provided over email and the quality of all the parts included, I recommend anyone interested to go for it!

John Dadmun, Moonpie, m.wynn and 5 others like this.
  9. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good review. If I needed one my only concern would depend on how fast I needed the kit.

I understand @2k1Toaster is so successful he cannot keep them in stock! the price of success!

Moonpie likes this.
  10. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Toyota is having problems keeping their packs in stock as well. Plenty of business to go around.

#450 ericbecky, Jun 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    farmecologist likes this.
  11. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I've mentioned this a few times, I think this summer will be a very busy one. Looks like it's starting that way.

12. DMC-5180

DMC-5180 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Been thinking about preemptively getting one of 2k1’s conversion packs. Putting it on the shelf until I need it or my mileage goal of 300k on the original pack is met later this year. Which ever comes first. The reason I could put it on the shelf is due to no core exchange required. My pack is starting to show signs of degradation (I think) at 281k.
    It drops a bar going up hills or pulling loads, more often than it used to and is slower to recover. It also regens full bars more quickly than it used too. I’m guessing this is a sign of pack imbalance but still within tolerance.

iPhone X ?

13. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    With China tariffs it is also possible the price will need to increase too.

14. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your can use Torque Pro app to get a better understanding of what your pack look like in real time.

15. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Tariffs are concentrated to industrial products for now

16. DMC-5180

DMC-5180 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The one drawback of being an apple household. No android products.

If you Bring your phone and Adapter to the T club meet, I will bring the Prius instead of my Other fun car.

iPhone X ?

#456 DMC-5180, Jun 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  17. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Cost you $20-$50 to buy one to use specifically for Torque Pro. Totally worth having a dedicated device for checking toir car.

18. DMC-5180

DMC-5180 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What would be the best all around older phone brand/model find for this purpose?

iPhone X ?

19. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It can literally be any Android phone.
    Heck you could go to Target, or Best buy and buy a cheap Android phone and it'd be fine. Or something used off of Craigslist. Even the prepaid stores like Cricket Wireless, wtc have cheap Android phones for sale.

20. PAUL SCHULTZ

PAUL SCHULTZ Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You can also get an old 7" Android tablet. All that is needed is bluetooth for the connection to the ELM327 adapter.

Watch the processing power on an older phone or mini tablet though. Especially if you want to have a Torque Pro screen with multiple gauges displayed. But, this is only an issue/concern if you want to have a mega display that shows all traction battery module voltages, resistances, etc.

For using Torque for reading codes the processing power is not really a concern. It is for any real-time data gathering.

Paul

mjoo likes this.