1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Battery Replacement Kit (GenII/GenIII) with NEW custom cells

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by 2k1Toaster, Oct 13, 2017.

1. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I hope not to increase the price, it is just lead times that are going up. China isn't stupid and they know exactly how to deal with the current situation. I find it no strange mystery why immediately after the trade war drums starting beating earlier this year, ALL of my packages into and out of China from the USA have been met with extra delays and costs. Extra inspections, extra time in the warehouse before customs clearance, requesting more documents in duplicate to be sent when they are already on the package, etc. All things that they could do at any time, and did do for a small number of packages in the past. But in all my time importing and exporting through China, I've had 3 boxes stopped and inspected in China prior to 2018. Now it is literally 100%.

I've sent a few things from Canada to China, same business name, same customs brokerage, same everything just not the USA, and all things are normal.

So yes the tariffs don't apply, lots of extra money and time apply to lots of small businesses. Anecdotally I've talked to lots of suppliers of various random stuff and they are all having much more difficulty within the US. It will translate into higher prices eventually if things don't calm down. You can only absorb so many $750 "X-Ray inspection fees" before it is just not worth it.

m.wynn and Prodigyplace like this.
  2. DMC-5180

DMC-5180 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    2k1toaster,

Did you state something about bringing in a much large shipment planned for August or September delivery.

iPhone X ?

3. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, in June. That shipment already arrived and was sent out. All of them were presold and I still have zero in-stock. The July shipment which left China last Thursday is equally large and it is mostly sold out already too. I do still have 6 or 7 open reservations as of Friday.

4. UT-Commuter

UT-Commuter New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I purchased a "re-manufactured" unit 6/15/17 from Dorman and installed it myself. I had 227K miles on it. It came with a three year warranty which I thought seemed reasonable for a total cost of $1450. Unfortunately yesterday on 6/18/18 it threw the RTOD light and same codes (P0A80 and P3012) as last year (almost to the day!). I am up to 245K miles which is . but it seems like they are honoring the warranty and sending a replacement unit. I wish I could just have some money back and buy these new cells... who knows maybe next year.

5. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Good luck, glad you can do the work yourself! Unfortunately most people have to pay for installation every time the pack fails under warranty. I think they have since reduced their warranty to a year for this same type of reason.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  6. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just an FYI, due to increasing trade difficulties, it is disrupting things globally. Even getting the metal for the cylinder walls of each battery cell has become more expensive but also importantly is taking longer as they stop buying exported products and ramp up internal production. The same is happening on many fronts. Production times went from 14-20 days before the Cheeto to 30-40 days this year and now we are looking at 80-90 days. Customs importation went from 0 days to 2-3 days to 10-30 days.

All of this means not only is it much harder to get battery packs (or anything else), it is costing more. I am not going to raise my price but there isn't much I can do about lead times. The July shipment is in transit there shouldn't be any more disruption to it. There may not be an August shipment as the ship date for those would be in 2 weeks and that's not looking like a possibility.

Mavi, R-P and Prodigyplace like this.
  7. pashko90

pashko90 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If anyone need it, i can install this kit in LA and SD county. This is for free, but as payment i want old cells.

8. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Excellent. That's one of the install models I have pitched to other service centres. There's good money to be had with the used modules if you want to mess with that. A fair swap for installation seems like a win-win

Prodigyplace and pashko90 like this.
  9. peecee

peecee Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    While waiting for the new battery pack to show up, should I start the car periodically, put it on a trickle charger, or do something else?

10. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Depends on the age of your 12v. It should last in standby a couple weeks. If driven less than that a trickle charger if you have one is a good idea.

11. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I drove past the dealer today and walked in for a battery quote. Since we have 21% VAT/tax, and things are generally cheaper in the US, I never thought it worth while.
    They called the importer (who happens to own this and ~20 other dealerships) and quoted me 1551 euro, including all VAT/salestax. (As it is mandatory for private persons to pay this tax, all prices are ALWAYS quoted including this tax, as required by law).

1551euro is 1810$ with todays exchange rate. As far as he knew, no core charge (!) or need to give the old one back.
    Am I missing something or should I buy one now (before they reconsider ;) ) and sell the old modules for ~40$ a piece??? Then I'd have a new official Toyota battery for way less than 1000$... (1810$ minus (28x40$=)1120$ = 690$ )

While very much intrigued by Toasters battery and all work he put into it, and quite confident he's delivering a quality product, his solution simply cannot compete if this quote (and the non-core-charge) is for real, right?

#471 R-P, Jul 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  12. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It sounds like a good deal. What sort of warranty? A dealer-installed battery in the US is 3 years but only 1 year if you install.

Most of the cost in @2k1Toaster kit is for shipping. The price would be different for you. He has already sold some kits in Europe, I believe.

13. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes don't you love looking at the price in a store and knowing that's the actual price? Not trying to figure out which extra taxes apply and don't apply when you get to the counter? :)

For that price, with no core, might as well. It's a great battery (obviously) at a great price. Heck with no core, I'd go put it in my garage and charge it up every so often.

And your price per Prius module of $40 is obtainable if you wait long enough and can charge/balance them properly. I generally use the $20 price because those are the modules that can sell "untested", basically you pull them, you sell them.

Sold quite a few around Europe and the UK, Middle East, tiny islands, they have traveled. Shipping within the USA is not too bad, but getting a few literal tons of batteries half way across the world is expensive. :)

R-P likes this.
  14. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Are your European prices generally higher or lower than the US? I assume you ship the cells from China to the US and then to Europe?

Just curious.

15. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Your service is not free if you get old modules

toymo and Raytheeagle like this.
  16. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Higher all due to shipping. Yes to the US then back out.

17. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for setting me straight on the value of the modules.
    I can charge them seperately (even though my iMax B6 80W clone chargers don't recognise the delta V of NiMH's, the 50W version does this flawlessly) and still working on a balancing-setup, but obviously can't do that now as the car is used every day (our second car also has to be taken out of commission for some necessary work (AC evaporator and condensor swap and turbo-repair) for at least a week, but cannot be missed for more than a day either... Maybe I should buy the Gen1 that is for sale nearby for under 2k :ROFLMAO: )

18. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Also just a heads up, all the boxes for this order have a small sticker on them that say "Gen-3" then followed by another number and then a 1 or a 2. I didn't think anyone would pay attention to that as it is really just for internal reference and customs brokerage purposes. But in case anyone else is confused by it, even if you ordered a Gen-2 kit, your box will say Gen-3.

Then inside the box ending with "2" (the second box) will be 2 other boxes. One of them will be for modules 13 and 14. Inside that box is then another smaller box. That box contains the bus bars, nuts, temp sensor connectors, and importantly the wiring harness.

The Gen-2 connector is bigger than the Gen-3 but it is really hard to tell without in person side by side comparison. The bag that the wiring harness in may have a sticker for "G2" or "Gen-2", but not all the time as this sticker doesn't adhere to the plastic very well.

I may in the future put something inside the wiring harness bag to more clearly identify is this is a point of confusion.

19. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Also there is a printed page inserted into the bound instruction manual for step 30. The difference is the Gen-2 illustration that has confused some people because it is in error. The correct image is below for the Gen-2 showing the terminals for the 7-x connection side on the bottom versus the top for the Gen-3.

NewPriusBatteries_UserManual_WorkingCopyJul09_2018-14_Gen2_Orientation.jpg

20. peecee

peecee Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So the printed page and the bound page for step 30,are both wrong? Meaning the Gen-2 battery layout is the bottom and the Gen-3 layout is on top?