1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Battery Replacement Kit (GenII/GenIII) with NEW custom cells

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by 2k1Toaster, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Wish4Me

Wish4Me New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I worked directly with @2k1Toaster to buy the 19 NiMH modules required. I also received a larger sensor kit from him based on a separate Hybrid modelmthat I had to cut and splice with my existing gen 1 interface. It was not a project that I would recommend anyone due to the extra DIY.

TomB985 and Prodigyplace like this.
  2. George W

George W Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thank you for that ernest appraisal. I have never test driven a Gen 3 Prius,only looked at cars that had a dead HV batt. The 'hump' takes away real estate that I use in my Gen 2, and this pushes me towards purchasing a second gen 2 Prius.

I know this sounds highly silly, but if the two generations are going to be similar in their operation, then I would much rather go for interior usability and comfort. I appreciate your opinion.

3. TomB985

TomB985 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yup, I would agree with that. I've always had a new-ish car and an old beater, this time around the Prius is my old beater. I'm a tech lover, but when I drive 25K/year it pays to have something older to pile miles on. I was frustrated with the road noise and rattles in such a new car when I had my '13, but for a 12-year-old car that cost me $4000 I am extremely happy with this one. If I get a newer Prius it would likely be a slightly used Gen-4.

My van is a much better driving car than the Prius, but it sits in the driveway most days. This thing saves me a fortune on depreciation and gas.

4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This question really takes this conversation off-topic. Consider starting a private conversation, or new thread to have that discussion.

kenoarto and Prodigyplace like this.
  5. George W

George W Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    WETFOOM! it was a single question to a single member, hardly a thread changer.

6. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That is as maybe but irrelevant. No need to get so defensive – no was offence intended, just a polite reminder for contributors to consider the thread topic before replying.

kenoarto and Prodigyplace like this.
  7. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That is why there is the Conversation option here. ;)

kenoarto likes this.
  8. chavezone

chavezone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My 2012 Prius with 120k miles on it HV battery died and I'm in the market for a new one.
    I have narrowed it down to @2k1Toaster $1600 battery with the cylindrical cells or Greentecs $1800 plus core and tax.
    Here is my dilemma, the newpriusbatteries.com battery only has a 2 year warranty with limited milea vs Greentec 4 year unlimited miles warranty.
    I am afraid the newpriusbatteries.com battery will fail after 2 years, I don't want to be in this predicament again in 2 years.

Is there anyone here that has had the newpriusbatteries.com battery on their prius for more than the warranty to me? I have read on here that Greentec also can't be trusted that they are truly using brand new cells.

Any advice would be appreciated

9. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Toyota has been around for how long? Why not get the genuine Toyota for $1700? 2k is a one man company who has been selling for little more than a year. Greetec is yet another used battery reseller.

Skibob likes this.
  10. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    2012 is still under warranty?

11. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Not in Nevada;).

Skibob likes this.
  12. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, the Gen-1 is very different than the Gen-2 and Gen-3. Just no plug-n-play compatible connectors :(

Why would you think they'd fail at 2 years? They are brand new and the same specs as the original. Your engine didn't explode at 36K miles when the warranty expired?

I've got 4 people that help out state-side as needed for shipping, receiving, etc. I was out of the country for over a month, everything still got handled without issue. I do most/all of the customer emails. $1.7k via Toyota is still fantasy for most people. I am glad pricing is coming down. As you know it remained unchanged for about a decade and only after my kit came out did they drop the price to something equivalent.

m.wynn, Skibob, Cyvan and 3 others like this.
  13. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am still driving my Prius even though the warranty expired last October. What percentage of Greentec customers actually make it 4 years with no failures? I expect the number is close to 0.

How many warranty failures has @2k1Toaster experienced? I suspect that number is 0.

Do you want to be a part of the group getting stranded & claiming a warranty or one that drives a reliable car? Only you can make that decision.

14. George W

George W Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

How many warranty failures has @2k1Toaster experienced? I suspect that number is 0.

You bring up an interesting question. Does he report the results from customers?

Do you want to be a part of the group getting stranded & claiming a warranty or one that drives a reliable car? Only you can make that decision.

15. George W

George W Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You bring up an interesting question. Do either one of these vendors report customer history?

16. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    GreenTech doesn't but you can do a PriusChat search to read opinions. You definitely need that warranty.

It is very possible that someone at GreenTech has similar battery experience and factory connections in the far east to do exactly what I did. But the more logical conclusion is they are just buying off the shelf components. See the beginning of this thread to understand why my product even exists.

I have had 0 warranty claims. I took back 1 unit because the car suffered another unrelated disaster shortly after and was basically totaled with less than a few hundred miles on the new pack.

m.wynn, Skibob and Raytheeagle like this.
  17. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I believe @2k1Toaster has said there have been no failures. The closest I heard to a failure was somebody that received the wrong wiring harness and had the correct one shipped overnight to them.

We hare heard of enough failures of repaired batteries here to guess on the other statistics.

18. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I doubt Greentec does either ;)

19. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes there has been 1 accidental wiring harness and then a couple where people have ordered the wrong kit. The only difference is the wiring harness between the Gen-2 and Gen-3 Prius. I've over-nighted as much as possible at no cost. I understand that people want to get their cars back together as soon as possible.

Skibob, Prodigyplace, SFO and 2 others like this.
  20. TomB985

TomB985 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just for perspective, how many have you sold to date?