1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Battery Replacement Kit (GenII/GenIII) with NEW custom cells

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by 2k1Toaster, Oct 13, 2017.

1. model464

model464 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    I installed my Gen 3 kit this weekend. It took approximately one million years, but that's on me. I'm not particularly mechanically gifted, and I'd rather spend one lifetime on a proper installation than drive all the ages of this world on a sloppy one. Purred like a kitten on my test drive through the mountains, and I'm excited to see how it performs in my daily driving.

A notable omission from the manual is the step of vacuuming out the dog hair pulled into the enclosure by the cooling fan and collecting between the modules. (?!?!) My Prius had an exciting life 2 owners before me, I think.

More seriously, I'm very grateful to @2k1Toaster for mentioning in the manual that the polarities are reversed on some packs. The shorter of my primary HV wires, bolted onto the module closest to the ECU, is to the main negative connection, not the positive, and I would've lost my mind puzzling over that without that caveat. Everything else fit together as in the manual including the numbering of the ring terminals on the harness. I do wonder, is my old pack an anomaly as the manual states, or is it standard to have the main negative connection closest to the ECU on the Gen 3 vs. the positive on the Gen 2? I have a Gen 3 Prolong harness which I installed with the new cells, and that's built assuming the main negative connection with the short wire is closest to the ECU.

Between this point of potential confusion and some others (the pack removal instructions are clearly for the Gen 2, but I just referred to a YouTube video to cover what I hadn't already done before), I wonder if it'd be helpful to have separate manuals for Gen 2 and 3, the duplication of many points notwithstanding.

offib, GrGramps, Raytheeagle and 4 others like this.
  2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    For a newbie thats ready to install a NPB lurkers take the cover off and take note of the polarity of the first battery next to the ecu.
    The one the shortest wire goes to.
    Install the the first NPB battery there with that correct polarity and your good to go. match the NPB battery polarity with the stock battery polarity.
    They are in series and the next one is reversed polarity and so on... Cannot mess it up if the first battery is correct.

The only thing you may struggle with is the installation of the 2 safety switch leads on the other. Mechanically they don't mate well on the battery I bent mine so they would and it really helped and I was able to get the plastic cover on it then.

Attached Files:

drone13, jzchen, donbright and 3 others like this.
  3. Stefan Maharaj

Stefan Maharaj New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Aqua
    Model:
    N/A
    I’m looking for brand new battery modules to buy for Prius C from the United States. I live in Trinidad & Tobago so it will need to be shipped to my country.

4. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Go to the newpriusbatteries website listed in my signature and ask them.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I looked through their site yesterday, don’t think so, at least nothing shown for Prius c. But yeah asking might at least get the ball rolling.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  6. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes we have a Prius C kit. Either it is the same price as the Gen-2 if you want it within 2 weeks or so, or you can save $300 by waiting for the next shipment and getting a custom order. This is a 3 month wait time. We don't keep them in stock. So to get you the kit quickly, we take a Gen-2 kit and remove the extra modules. Then air ship in the Prius C bits and pack into the kit (the 2 weeks) and then ship to you.

To send to Trinidad... I don't know about that. I spend a couple weeks every year in San Fernando and Mayaro, and I wouldn't ship anything this expensive to Trinidad. If it is not bolted down somewhere, it's going to disappear. And UPS won't help when you lose your $2k worth of batteries because shipping is expensive too. Whenever we have to fix our cars, it is cheaper to load onto a car carrier to Mexico or the states, get it fixed there, and then load it back. Just drop off and pickup in Port of Spain.

7. Overworked9000

Overworked9000 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Does anyone have a recommendation for an iOS app that can read diagnostics from the traction battery?

I have an ELM327 OBD2 sensor, and would rather not pull out my 15 year old techstream laptop.

8. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Overworked9000 likes this.
  9. maximusdec

maximusdec Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Why is the warranty on this too little? Debating to do this or get a local refub to install it with 2 year warranty

10. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You can not compare all new cells with a secondhand battery. If you go with a new battery, you will not need a warranty. If you go with a secondhand battery you will need a warranty.

Think about it.

2k1Toaster and maximusdec like this.
  11. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    For comparison, the OEM battery has a 2 year warranty. I think if a dealer installs it they add another year. NPB had had zero warranty claims. Many refurb batteries need replacement in months, not years. Some warranties do not cover installation costs either.

donbright and maximusdec like this.
  12. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Many refurb companies do not return calls after the first warranty has been done. But you may need five over two years. Plus the downtime, lower mpg and general unreliability will make you wish you went new.

WHCSC, dolj, 2k1Toaster and 3 others like this.
  13. justdog

justdog Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ordered my Gen3 kit! Read whole thread. Already had appointment with green bean I just hope was a wise decision. I'll blow through warranty in about 5-6 months. Commute 91miles each way. 1k per week!

14. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well NPB has had zero warranty claims. Whe Green Bean saw that they promptly left the thread that asked for their warranty claim percentage.

Tim Jones likes this.
  15. justdog

justdog Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It makes perfect sense. do what I have gathered just reading the thread everybody seems satisfied! You guys here help me doing my Gen 4 to gen 3 engine swap and everything went fine. Now battery is bad! That being said I trust people on this site to not steer me wrong. Thanks guys

16. justdog

justdog Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just an FYI. I just got off phone with Costco Citi Visa about their extended warranty coverage. The say that this product qualifies for their free coverage doubling manufacturers warranty! Ill believe it when I see it. Hopefully still won't have to

SFO and WHCSC like this.
  17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's pretty cool

WHCSC likes this.
  18. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    So would it be double lifetime for green bean?

moto g(7) power ?

19. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You mean the GB battery needs to die twice? We know when it dies it has exceeded its lifetime warranty by definition since it has lost its useful life.

20. Robert Yesa

Robert Yesa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2000 Prius
    Model:
    II
    great batteries ! thank you buddies ...