1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Battery Replacement Kit (GenII/GenIII) with NEW custom cells

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by 2k1Toaster, Oct 13, 2017.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Late to the party, this is a terrific solution. Your models are the same as two, 7.2V modules tied together but with the advantage of much more surface area. Heat is the enemy and this solution suggests a much improved cooling flow.

There are three temperature sensors in the OEM battery pack. Where do they go on this pack?

Are there any intra-module, baffles to ensure the cooling air passes by all three cell strings?

For @ericbecky, given past heat issues, I would recommend a through heat stress test in the future. It doesn't take high ambient temperatures but doing high-speed, maximum acceleration up and down a reasonably tall, steep hill and turning around and descending in "D". The hill climb will bring the SOC down and the descent in "D" will put a charge back in, the exothermic event. It is called 'heat pumping' and puts the maximum stress on the battery.

I would recommend using something like TechStream to record the battery temperatures. If @2k1Toaster can point you to the cell data sheet, you can track the temperatures against the cell rating. It helps if the cooling fan comes on as a 'stopping point.'

In an ideal world, every stick would be instrumented but that can be expensive. As a workaround, a non-contact, IR thermometer would work. Just have the top cover loosely attached so it can be quickly pulled. Heat pump the pack and then scan the sticks looking for the hot spot. Rig up a cell phone video recording on a duct-tape and sticks fixture and survey the pack.

Kudos for the design and approach. Well done!

Bob Wilson

depriusoto likes this.
  2. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Eric! Those pictures are cool. The deltas between individual blocks is just so tight. Nice one there.
    Can you make a graphic presentation using ithe tech stream or the hybrid assist app you're using?

3. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thankyou again for reporting back!

4. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Same locations as the original pack. If you look at the blue-ish plastic rings, those accept the original temp sensors and then snap onto the cylindrical cell.

No. But there is space between all the cells and then all the modules. No custom air directing baffles though.

Where I live this is called "everyday driving". Go up and down 2000ft "hills" just to go home and out again. Pedal to the metal accelerations to merge into 85mph traffic on a short ramp. All this testing has been done. The fan comes on when the pack gets hot. With the original pack, the fan always came on. With this pack, I don't notice it nearly as often. But after some high speed mountain driving, it is on.

All of this was done. Using a Fluke IR meter with video overlay both in the vehicle and on the bench. :)

Thankyou, hopefully this keeps many Prii alive on the roads for much longer.

5. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Are you limiting your speed due to the battery or something else?

6. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No reason other than I'm just not much of a speeder and the roads I commute on have lower speed limits. Generally speed limit of 55 or 45.

Occasionally I'll do some interstate driving. There the speed limit is 70. And you will generally see me in the right lane because... Well... I don't generally feel a need to go beyond the speed limit.

Prodigyplace and Raytheeagle like this.
  7. offib

offib Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I know I'm being greedy here, but theoretically speaking, if there was a 2.0 version of these cells that would be able to have noticeably more Amp Hours or capacity, would that mess with the BMS and ECUs of the car - or would it be a viable way to improve our cars? Of which for the most part modding is incredibly restrictive outside of chassis and suspension.

A man can dream, right?

Prodigyplace likes this.
  8. Overworked9000

Overworked9000 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The Prius ECU simply doesn’t care. It follows the same W-hr discharge and charge capacity range no matter the ability to go beyond that.

offib likes this.
  9. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think that might be because of the battery chemistry(NIMH), or what?

What then happens if its a Li-ion? Won't there be some impacts on the electronics? Aren't there a certain voltage/amp-hr thresholds for the BMS, etc?

10. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    On the sidelones, is the voltage capacity of the newly installed pack motr than the stock one? What happens to the battery ECU, and all that? Can the hybrid system cope with the increased voltages and amp-hrs? I do know, more juice, equates to more range.

11. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is usually not good to change or mix battery chemistries. The charger is designed for a particular battery chemistry. Getting it wrong can let the magic fire & smoke out. :eek:

12. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm referring to the newly installed NIMH cylindrical modules.
    Is the newly designed pack of the same total voltage(301..volts) as the stock prismatic pack that was removed from the car? That's my concern

13. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes they are identical.

Nominal NiMH cells are 1.2v.

There are 6 cells in each OE prismatic module, 28 modules in the vehicle: 1.2v * 6 * 28 = 201.6v
    There are 12 cells in each of these cylindrical modules, 14 modules in the vehicle = 1.2 * 12 * 14 = 201.6v

The Prius will let the magic smoke out if you put 300v through the HV system.

14. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Do you think you can mix your new modules along with OEM ones for those who like to play "Whack-a-mole"?

15. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You would need to replace a minimum of 4 OE modules with 2 of my modules to get the bus bars and wiring to line up in the first place. Also the problem with whack-a-mole in the modules is that you are taking a module with a different capacity from the rest of the pack and trying to make it play nice. Either it will be weaker than the rest or stronger than the rest. The Prius really doesn't care about overall capacity. Packs with 20% or less original capacity still deliver 50mpg to the user. The Prius really really really cares about mismatch. That's where codes get thrown.

Putting a brand new full capacity module (or 2) in a pack that is degraded for more than a couple years, you are asking for trouble.

So like most answers, yes it is possible. No it is not recommended. Also I don't currently sell individual modules, only the full kit. Partly to prevent this. :)

toymo and Prodigyplace like this.
  16. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Could you sell/ship to customers in Canada?

Raytheeagle and Prodigyplace like this.
  17. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, on the website if you are outside of the CONUS it will automatically add UPS shipping. It's a 70lb 24x12x12 box. But as most of us Canadians know, shipping to a UPS store to hold for pickup right across the border is usually much cheaper than shipping it an hour across the border.

Mendel Leisk and Prodigyplace like this.
  18. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the reply. That was what I was thinking. Thought you had more cells in there, than the stock HV battery pack.

19. voltech444

voltech444 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey everyone, I haven't posted on here in a while. I have been doing mobile H/EV repairs for 2 years (10 years on ICE vehicles) and I am opening a shop December 1st. that only works on H/EV. I am very happy to see that someone has finally made this happen and I am very hopeful that it works well. I really hope this works because I have numerous customers every month that need packs installed and new OEM packs are just too expensive; it basically financially totals the vehicle. I will be ordering one of these for a gen 2 to experiment with. If all goes good you can count me in on this. Right now I get at least 5 inquiries per month for pack replacement. I rebuild packs but i've been looking for a good new module replacement for a while.

20. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That sounds excellent.

If or when you work out a business model for installing these kits into customer vehicles, some people on here have been curious to know details. The basic question being how much would a shop charge to do such work versus a straight-up whole-pack replacement.

Feel free to PM/Email me with any questions.