1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Battery

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by brianbo34, Nov 16, 2016.

1. brianbo34

brianbo34 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi

I own a 2013 prius Three not III and have logged 40,000 miles to date. I have a read a lot of conflicting reports online and am wondering how many years and/or miles I can expect before I will have to replace the hybrid battery. Some articles say I will never have to replace the battery while others say it can happen around 175,000 miles. Just looking for a little clarity and hope someone can help.

Thanks so much

2. ForestBeekeeper

ForestBeekeeper Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    The Service Manager at our dealership says that he has Prius' at 200k and 300k still on their first battery.

Our Prius is at 160k, on it's first battery.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There have been precious few 3rd gen batteries problems reported as yet. Not to say it doesn't happen, and won't happen eventually. But 2013 with 40,000 miles should have a long life ahead of it. (y)

Your number of 175,000 miles sounds plausible, FWIW. There's another thread here: a Toyota dealership has started selling refurb'd batteries: used case with new cells. For $1850, plus install. Install should be around $300, but these guys are asking $1000, way too much for what's involved. Hopefully all true about the battery make up, seems legit:

My Toyota dealer is selling refurbished traction batteries | PriusChat

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! unfortunately, like any battery, no one can tell you how long it will last. the good news is, you have an 8/100 or 10/150 warranty, depending on what state you live in. and replacements keep getting cheaper.

5. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    HV battery pack life generally depends on three factors: climate, terrain, and use. Packs used in hot climates and/or over hills do not tend to last as long as those used in temperate climates with relatively flat terrain. Packs in Prii that are driven regularly for several miles a day tend to last longer than in Prii that sit for extended periods or are not driven far enough to fully charge the pack.

My 05 will pass the 256K mile mark tomorrow. It has the original HV battery. However, because it's nearly 12 years old, it's getting weaker every year because the modules are not holding voltage as well as they once did. In other words, self discharge is becoming a concern. In addition, the modules also have less capacity in amp hours than they did 6 years ago when I bought the 05 with 134K miles. I anticipate I'll need to repair or replace the pack within the next 6 months to a year - and that's if it can make it through another Michigan winter. We'll see.

6. brianbo34

brianbo34 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you so much everyone. I really appreciate your help and advice. You are doing great work on this message board and I am grateful.

Thanks again

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. Tribilina

Tribilina New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Good day all,
    First timer on Prius chat. I recently bought my first prius. Totally clean, with a 1 yr old battery (per last owner), but keeps dying on me. I have checked to make sure everything is locked and no lights are on? Please help?

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! assuming you mean the 12v battery, start by measuring the battery voltage.

9. Tribilina

Tribilina New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Good morning,
    Thank you for responding. Yes, my husband gave the car a jump yesterday evening. He also did some type of test to reset everything which he found on the internet. It showed a code for the radio. He reset that as well. Afterwards the 12v battery showed 14 voltage. It turned on fine this morning. Lets hope this works. I'll keep you posted. Thak you again!

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's more-n-likely with the car running, on the car's display? Doesn't mean much, that's the voltage with the car being supplied electrons. Checking voltage with the car off, with a digital multimeter set to voltage scale, will give a better reading of the battery's health. Still rudimentary, but gives an idea. If it's showing (by that method) less than 12.5 volts, the battery should be charged and/or replaced. Charging should be with a "smart" charger, one capable of assessing the battery and charging through a series of steps, tapering off as it goes. It should in the 3~4 amp range, no more.

After charging, drive the car for a day or two, then recheck the voltage. Checking immediately after charging will likely show voltage artificially raised due to charging.

11. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Good chance you need to replace the 12V battery, like on any car. They cost around $150-$200.