1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius blind-spot accident

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by bwilson4web, Sep 19, 2009.

1. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Several have mentioned motorcyclists going faster than the prevailing traffic speed and riding between lanes, and I agree, the practice is extremely dangerous. The example of a "blind spot" accident stinks of this after considering this.

Here is the key to unlock the mystery
    If the rider was not going faster than the car he was passing he would not have continued past the car before
    Assuming the woman indicated then the motorcyclist was driving in a manner dangerous and should be charged. This is by no means a comprehensive analysis of the collision because I have very limited evidence at hand but from the evidence I have it was mostly the rider at fault.
    I am a motorcyclist and am if anything biased toward the rider.

My comment about "loud pipes save lives" was intending to convey that I disagree with the statement. You don't hear loud pipes until the bike is in front of you and clearly visible.

2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They were banned but the ban was lifted and most imported cars now have convex mirrors on the driver's side (right) because it means the higher volume convex mirror glass can be used in the driver's side mirror.

DeadPhish: I thought that the statement by the "long distance trucker" about how to adjust mirrors was strange. Most long distance truckers use large convex mirrors for a wide angle view, in addtiion to the standard flat mirrors, so such an adjustment of the flat mirrors would seem to be unnecessary.[/quote]
    Good point, most semi drivers need their mirrors set to see a little of the side of the trailer for reversing.

3. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All,

I have my mirrors adjusted in the manner that DP details. But, please beware that this orientation of the mirrors creates blind zones to the right, the second lane over. In merging situations, when on the thru-lane, the cars in the merging lane wont become visible until the white lines taper to almost a point. So, you really have to turn your head when driving on a thru-lane and expecting merging traffic from the right.

4. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Don't all cars have blind spots on the sides? I thought the "Prius blind spot" refers to the wide posts to the left and right of the windshield, which can completely block your view of someone crossing in front of your car as they pass those particular spots. A couple of times in my Gen II, I had a scare with pedestrians appearing out of nowhere because I just didn't see them until they were right in front of the car :eek:. I don't think it's as bad with the 2010.

1 person likes this.
  5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    What has always scared me is discovering how some are totally dependent on what they see out of the rear mirror, almost never using either side mirror. So even with proper adjustment or convex add-ons, it wouldn't matter anyway. Of course, the use of a signal to make intentions clear before proceeding is something absent among some drivers too.

6. EZW1

EZW1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I ride motorcycles and this dud should've known better than to ride in someone's blind spot. If you do, you're only asking for trouble.

3 people like this.
  7. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks EZW1. The other side of the safety equation is to stay out of others' blind spots. This is basic defensive driving.

8. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Drivers of other vehicles (especially small cars) should do this as well.

9. goldfishu

goldfishu New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This happened to me just yesterday! It was very scary. I was turning right, so, I was still creeping forward past the first white line of the crosswalk when I finally saw the ped. She gave me such a dirtly look... and I desrved it.

10. blamy

blamy Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Just like PriusLewis I have put the 1" spot mirror on the upper outside corner of my Prius mirrors and there is no longer any blind spot (which is on every car not just the Prius). Cost was under $5. My problem was finding the 1" version.

11. radiocycle

radiocycle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Absent among SOME drivers?? I can't count the number of brand new, expensive cars with 'broken' signals. I've considered a bumper sticker saying, "signals are NOT optional!" Burns my onions, how many totally disregard the laws regarding signals and following too close!

Sri about the rant...

12. econerd

econerd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    *Lurker emerges from the shadows*

I agree with the "wide set" mirror method.

Test it this way: Watch as a car passes you on the left on the highway. You should see the passing car, or a portion of it, first in your rearview mirror, then your side mirror, then out the corner of your eye in your side window as you face forward. At no time should part of the passing car NOT be visible in your mirrors or directly.

To achieve this, you must set them wide--even set wide, the overlap from mirror-to-mirror-to-window is pretty small. I've been setting them wide for years based on a AAA driving tip.

13. eestlane

eestlane Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Small spot mirrors are OK for folks with perfect vision, but I found that for me a fairly large half-moon convex mirror that clamps to the top edge of the factory mirror housing works best. I bought it from a car stuff catalog that I periodically get in the mail. Can't remember the name of the outfit just now. This mirror is independently adjustable, and a car in the blind spot is quite large, compared to the tiny blob in a 1" mirror. Aesthetically, it blends in fairly well with the existing mirror. It has a black housing, but could be painted to match. Try it, you'll like it!

PS: I Googled "blind spot mirrors" and the first entry came up with a picture of my mirror! It's truly magic.

14. bac

bac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Check your blind spot! :eek:

That's not a very difficult concept to grasp. Turn your head, and check the blind spot. You CLEARLY know that there IS a blind spot in the Prius - so make sure you CHECK said blind spot.

In other words, quit blaming the car for your lack of driving skills. :D

- Brad

15. EZW1

EZW1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Touche'!

16. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Class Clown

Silicon Valley, CA --- Land of Fruits & Nuts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You are a very unique and rare human being - One who feels responsibility for their own actions.

I've used all three generations of the Prius - the G II and G III appear to have a larger blind spot at the 10 and 2 o'clock positions than many other vehicles. One just has to be a bit more careful....

Keith

17. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Do you think that the Gen III is as bad as the Gen II? I am under the impression that the posts on the Gen III are not quite as wide -- but since I don't have a the Gen II to compare with anymore I might just be misremembering.

18. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Class Clown

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My brother & I recently got back from a vacation - a 2,500 mile motorcycle ride. We didn't have any problems with other drivers, mainly because our philosophy is to ride as if though we were invisible. One basic rule for safe motorcycling is to spend as little time as possible in the blind spots of other vehicles.

Keith

19. dwhutch

dwhutch New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I set my side view mirrors to a wider position using the procedure stated earlier and it works great. You can follow the car from the rearview, to the side view to your peripheral vision.

20. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Class Clown

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not much difference between the basic body design of the G-II vs. the G-III. Consequently, not difference in blind spot.

Keith