1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Block Heaters

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Metro, Oct 27, 2006.

1. Metro

Metro Your OEM Q & A Resource

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wanted to thank everyone who comitted to buy a block heater in the first group buy. I was glad that it went off without a hitch and everyone was satisfied. I have not received any interest from any other PC members wanting to do another group buy, but I would like to let everyone know that we could go for round 2 if the interest is there. I let everyone know earlier that the $33.00 price would most likely go up and that does remain true. I have listed them for sale on my site also for $49.00, but would be willing to offer the group a price somewhere between the old and the new. If there is not enough interest or you cannot wait then please visit my site and order there. Please contact me direct at the email address below and be sure to include your Name, Address, Telephone number and the year of your Prius if you want to be involved in a potential group buy. This will not automatically place your order, but if the numbers are great enough I will contact each of you to let you know that the sale will be moving forward and give you the exact details of everything. I know that there was 1 or 2 of you that contacted me regarding the block heaters, but I was unable to reply to you because of some problems with our email server. Your email was also lost so I could not go back and get your address. I hope that you find this post and it gives you the information that you were looking for.

2. msnancy61

msnancy61 New Member

I would be interested...but someone needs to explain (to an automotive novice) how to install and use the thing.
    thanks.. I have seen some threads about installing one... is there only one kind??

3. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(msnancy61 @ Oct 27 2006, 03:59 PM) [snapback]339577[/snapback]</div>
    I've only seen mention of the one kind here, basically an heating element that slides into an opening on the engine block. You plug it in for 3 or 4 hours and it preheats your engine so that when you drive off, you don't have that low MPG period from the engine having to warm up, and you get heat out of the heater quicker.

4. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I would love to have one but unfortunately where I park my car at night there is not plug available :-(

5. theorist

theorist Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SomervillePrius @ Oct 27 2006, 04:13 PM) [snapback]339594[/snapback]</div>
    Same here. I would be interested if anyone wanted to put together a group buy of winter fronts / grille blocks.

6. divide

divide New Member

I'd be interested too. Sent an email.

7. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Ok, i guess i'm in. I'm watching my mileage drop with the thermometer every day now.......

8. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    same here... i was down to mid 40's here when it dropped cold (don't let my sig fool you - i haven't updated my numbers in quite a while, and most of that is a cross country trip with my kayak). Just went in for my 10k oil change, and the dealer "reset" my tire pressure... my mileage dropped over 1MPG this morning.

9. stuvan

stuvan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'd like to be included also. Sent you an email

Stu

10. GeronimoPFudgemuffin

Ready to buy. Sent e-mail buy copying here in hopes of puttin the spurs in the horses flanks. It was 46-deg F here today... and getting colder every week.

GeronimoPFudgemuffin

11. randreed

randreed Same as it ever was . . .

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm interested too!

12. member

member New Member

I'm interested, have set an email notify to the reply of this post.

Can anyone tell me if there is a photo or description of the installation for the block heater?
    I've been poking around the site for an hour and cannot find it. Seems some links are broken - maybe
    this is the problem?

Thanks!

D Name

13. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Indeed, there was a link with an excellent description of "how to".... even with that, it is probably more complicated than I would like to attempt, so I'll probably take it to the dealer to install.

14. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(msnancy61 @ Oct 27 2006, 11:59 AM) [snapback]339577[/snapback]</div>
    I received some instructions when I got mine from Canada and had my regular Automotive Shop install it. It comes with directions and they had no problem with it,

15. Metro

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Some questions have risen about the group buy. Specifically whether or not it will really happen. At this point there is not enough people involved for it to happen, but we are not that far off either. I would just like to let everyone know that I am still taking pre-orders and if the current rate stays true, then we should be ready to go in about 2 weeks. Now I know that some of you would like everything to happen faster, and I do understand, but I am at the mercy of all of you PC members. I can only make an order happen if the numbers are there. So for all of you who want it to happen quick then please encourage your fellow members to get involved and contact me ASAP. You can even attract non PC members just to get the order rolling faster, I am not picky about where everyone comes from. If you really, really cannot wait then feel free to order directly from my website. You will just have to pay a higher price than the group will. Just remember to contact me and remove yourself from the group buy list, and remember that your fellow PC member will have to wait that much longer to get theirs. I did want to thank everyone who has contacted me so far for your patience. Everyone please remember to include the information that I asked for in the beginning, it really make my life easier. Thank you!

16. theorist

theorist Member

Should this be moved to one of the marketplace forums?

17. storm petrol

storm petrol Member

44 degrees, 42 minutes North; 73 degrees, 29 minu
    Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Hello,

I installed a block heater from Toyota Depot in Canada last November. As the weather is turning cold, I reset my outdoor timer and connected the heater.

Unfortunately, it is no longer working. Continuity testing reveals an open circuit.

Anyone else had a similar problem with their heaters?

I have written Toyota Depot re this and await a reply. Unfortunately it took about three weeks to obtain one last year.

Meantime I will indicate my interest in the group buy.

By the way, installation was not all that difficult. I am a large person with big hands, which made for most of the difficulty. For a smaller person, it would be a piece of cake!

Storm Petrol

18. BJFons

BJFons Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Metro @ Nov 6 2006, 11:19 AM) [snapback]344494[/snapback]</div>
    Hi Jesse, my name is Bradlee Fons and my son and are are founders of the Milwaukee Hybrid Group. We have over 125 members with most being Prius owners. At our last meet we did a segment on block heaters. I believe we have numerous members who would be interested in your group buy. I've included this link with an email I just sent out to all our members. I've asked them to contact you with answers to your questions. I'am friends with Wayne Mitchell in Chicago and he is very happy with the units he has bought from you.
    My wife is interested in buying one for her 2004 Prius. Our address is N37 W26899 Kopmeier Drive, Pewaukee, Wi. 50372 and phone is 262-691-4349.
    Thanks for giving our members as well as the Prius community in general this great deal.

Bradlee Fons
    Milwaukee Hybrid Group

19. Metro

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks to everyone who has pre-ordered your blocker heater. There is enough interest for the sale to go forward. The price will be $39. The cutoff will be Friday November 17. Please submit your emails with the requested information to me by then. I will then contact everyone most likely next week. Thanks again.

20. Metro

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just wanted to let everyone know that I will not be taking any more orders now. The sale is closed.