1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Brake Problem - CONFIRMED BY TECH

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by grinthock, Feb 3, 2010.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You just described what happens to many cars in icy conditions. We rented a brand new 4x4 Dodge Ram truck and had the same situation happen. We just slid and slid until we finally stopped in the middle of an intersection.

1 person likes this.
  2. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Looking at the picture here, I only see a small seam of the transition between the overpass concrete and asphault, no metal seam. Has this changed? I don't head that way often my self.
    La Costa & I5 - Google Maps

3. JimMedill

JimMedill New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    You may well be right. I guess we will find out in the next week or so. I think the big issue is how much differently my Prius acted in this situation then all of the many cars with ABS that I have owned and driven over the last 20 years. I still drive my GMC truck and I know it does not react the same way.

I know I've been wrong before;) -- I think it was back in 93 when I thought I made a mistake.

4. brad_rules_man

brad_rules_man Hybrid electric revolutionizer

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There are already other threads on this issue where the news could be posted. Also, this isnt' native to toyota in any way. Ford, and Honda are both secretly trying to fix it on their hybrids too.

5. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If I do decide that it's really a problem in my car I certainly will, but so far I haven't gotten to that point. Thanks.

- D

6. Prius 06

Prius 06 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    You just scared the CRAP out of me!

7. Prius 06

Prius 06 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Just saw this now, didn't watch it. If you recorded it, please show us the news report.
    Also, I have NEVER heard of anyone being charged for driving a recalled car (nor can I find anything online).

As already asked, please provide the links to that.
    I can't see OPP doing such a thing, prove me wrong.

8. ronhowell

ronhowell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If you are going to lose your braking ability going over the obstacle, why not try defering braking until after the obstacle, since it is useless (according to you) during the transit?
    A little sporty maybe, but probably more effective!

9. El Gato

El Gato Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My first post on this forum.

I'm glad to see many people here with no problem, but guess what not me. I bought my car back in August of 2009 and noticed the problem within the first month of purchase. The driveway to my apt complex here in Austin is right off a major highway and the construction where the pavement meets the concrete isn't to seamless, and so as I slow down on this 55 mph highway to enter the driveway I go over the bump on this seam.

Like I said, a major highway, so I am still moving at a quick rate of speed and as I am braking and approaching this seam, boom my brakes just give out (no funny warning lights as others are describing) and my car continues to move forward into the opposing traffic's (from the driveway) lane. This scared the sh*t out of me and everytime it happened I knew that I was just lucky that there happened to be no car in that lane when my car accelerated forward.

I have since learned to get to the shoulder way in advance, slow down much more and approach the seam at under 5mph since the problem is non existent at that speed.

For the last 7 months I have always been in fear when approaching some type of bump while braking and I have had to adjust everytime I do have to brake and go over a bump. I'm sorry, but I paid $26,000 and that I have to do that is just plain ridiculous.

I took it to a local dealership (Charles Maund in Austin, which has horrible service by the way) in August and they said they didn't have time to look at the problem and just pretty much gave me the run around.

MY wife called a dealership in Round Rock two days ago, concerned since we are now hearing of other people with the same problem, and the first question the guy asks is, "are you calling just because of what you are seeing on TV?" I mean, how absurd! We were calling cause my f*ckin brakes are giving out! He then proceeds to say that there is nothing wrong with the car (without even looking at it) and there is nothing he can do about it. She insists on taking it in, and he tells her, fine but he will have to charge us $100 if there is no problem. Is this not covered in the manufactures warranty? I know these are local dealerships, but come on, it sounds like they just want to stick their heads in the sand and hope we will all go away.

So any clue on what I can do? anyone?

1 person likes this.
  10. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    Yes, sell the car. Drive more reasonably. Slow down when conditions are sketchy. Stop reacting to frenzied news sources. Really, lots of choices. Pick one or 10.

Again, people. If you're not ready for a hybrid and it's "perceived" "quirks" move on and get a "better" vehicle. It's pretty simple, really. I'll admit not all people are a match for a hybrid.

1 person likes this.
  11. El Gato

El Gato Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I already responded to your post on the other thread. But I'll add...

First off you left off an option: Fix the problem! (Wow, what a novel idea)

Secondly, I am not reacting to frenzied news sources as I clearly mentioned in my post, I have been experiencing this problem for 7 months now and took it in 6 months ago to get looked at. So please don't make this seem like I have suddenly been made aware of this problem through the media outlets.

Last,..ehhh...I have already discussed my driving habits on the other thread.

Thanks for the help [/sarcasm]!:rolleyes:

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry, but can you really blame finman? We've had a rash of new members here and it's getting harder and harder to sort out who's geniunely interested in getting the problem fixed and who's here to "join the party" and stir things up.

I apologise on his behalf but do keep that in mind.

1 person likes this.
  13. David27

David27 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am a new member. with 07, love it. Classic boomer profile, will trade to 2010 soon. Never had an issue with brakes until yesterday: wet, traveling around 40, braked before cover and some potholes, felt the dreaded pedal numbness for a second or three. Not too worrying as I drive conservatively and within conditions and vehicle dynamics. What worries me is I that had been following brake issues on news just prior to this. Did this really happen or am I a syndrome victim?? Help needed.

14. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It really happened. Every car has its quirks. Drive a little slower, anticipate turns so you will not have to brake so in hard in them, and watch for problematic surfaces.

15. El Gato

El Gato Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    In response David27 with the wet weather, I just want to add that my problem occurs everytime I go over a bump, and no matter what the weather.

And thanks Tideland, I have been a lurker here since about Novemeber when a friend of mine told me about these forums. Since I had been having this problem for a while and my dealerhip had ignored me months ago, I stayed quite and only officially joined this board when I noticed this was not just my car doing it.

1 person likes this.
  16. jendbbay

jendbbay Member

Okay, so I'm going to go test this on a spot where I always have the sensation of lost braking. Say I drive slowly and I press on the brake a bit less firmly, will that allow me to avoid the problem, as you seem to indicate?

17. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The idea is to slow down before you get to the spot, so that you don't have to brake while you are going over the spot.

18. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for being understanding!

19. KCobby

KCobby Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Dude...you owned 5 GM cars???? :eek:

(Or is it you owned 2000+ and only had this happen in 5? ;))

20. jsgreenfield

jsgreenfield New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If you go back through the thread, you'll see that I mentioned having learned that I get better (or at least more predictable) results doing precisely this. But of course, that only works when you recognize the road imperfection that will cause and issue, and when you know you're going to brake (as opposed to a panic brake, say because somebody cuts you off).

Then also, it's only good for myself. (Not that I really ought to have to do such, and leave extra braking distance, above and beyond what I would with any other vehicle, etc.) But do I really want to have to worry if my wife or one of my kids need to borrow my car, that they will end up rear-ending someone because they are not trained like I am, from driving the car regularly?