1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Brake Question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by camerond, Oct 7, 2013.

1. camerond

camerond Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Purchased a 2006 prius not too long ago with just over 100k miles.

I like the car, I average about 42-44 mpg. It is really for my commuting. The question I have is it seems like my brake pump runs all the time. When I take my foot off the brakes, it runs, when im in a drive-thru, my battery drains super quickly, however if i put in park instead of leaving it in drive while in the drive-thru, it does not.

My only thought is there is something wrong with my brake pump and the way it drains batteries. A

Any guidance would be helpful, pricing would also be helpful as well.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat! no idea, but i'm sure some helpful member will be along soon, all the best!(y)

camerond likes this.
  3. camerond

camerond Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    thank you :) for the welcome.

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Whats the brake fluid level look like?

5. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Welcome to PC.
    The reason your battery depletes quickly in drive is because unless you have your foot firmly on the brake pedal "this cancels the drive" the car is trying to move forwards as with any automatic, "the parking brake does not cancel the drive" even without the engine running. This will soon discharge the HV battery.
    As Edthefox5 said first check the brake fluid level, but it may be the brake ECU requires calibrating "Linear solenoid calibration". This can only be done by a Toyota dealer unless you have a Mini VCI and Toyota Techstream software, in which case you can do this yourself.
    Failing this I am afraid this may get expensive requiring parts, maybe a brake actuator.

John (Britprius)

6. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm thinking its this. Bring up the arrows screen on the MFD. If there are orange arrows from the battery to the wheels when you're stopped, push down a bit more on the brake pedal.
    The brake pump shouldn't run all the time unless you're pumping the brakes. Even if it was running all the time, it shouldn't draw enough power to cause the HV battery to noticeably drain.

7. Zedhomme

Zedhomme Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I would also ask you to consider that it may not have as much to do with the brake (except not pushing hard enough) and more to do with your A/C running when you are stopped or in very slow traffic. Your HV battery will get pretty low before the gas engine kicks on. This is because the A/C has an electric/inverter compressor and doesn't run off the gas engine, but off the hybrid battery. Your HV battery charge will go pretty low (Prius trying to get you the best mileage) running the A/C before the gas engine starts to run the Motor Generator 2 to recharge the HV battery into it's comfort range State of Charge.

8. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I'm wondering if the power-assisted braking system might have a vacuum leak somewhere. Not quite sure how this system operates, but the electric pump must be evacuating an accumulator somewhere. A leak might result in more frequent operation of this pump. Maybe?

9. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The brake system does not work on a vacuum pump. It works buy pressurizing brake fluid into a bottle with a nitrogen filled bag. If there is a leak it is likely to be an internal loss of fluid in the brake actuator.

John (Britprius)

10. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Bad guess. Once again I am amazed at the technology.

11. Zedhomme

Zedhomme Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You mentioned that it drains the battery when in the drive-through, but not when in "PARK". Are you putting it in "NEUTRAL"? If you are, the Prius engine won't recharge the hybrid traction battery when in NEUTRAL. Some Prius owners avoid car washes that move the car through on a track with car in neutral because of this. Make sure you don't have the car in neutral. The gas engine should recharge the HV traction battery, but only to a minimum level when stopped and in drive, trying to get you the best mileage. I think you may be assuming the noise is a brake problem when it's really not. It's probably just the Prius changing between charging and discharging cycles to maintain the preferred State of Charge. Check out the video on Weber State University about the Prius Hybrid Engine and the design of the Transaxle. They have videos of other hybrids too. Watch the Prius. 15 minutes invested will help you avoid misinterpreting things the Prius does as problems and love it even more.