1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius bullied on Urban Dictionary...need your help

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bshef, Feb 11, 2012.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Problem is, even if we had space travel, we still have not discovered a planet even as hospitable to us as a vasty degraded Earth. We evolved here, and are comfortable in the conditions here. There are probably planets that can sustain, and have, life. But it's likely to be very different from what we want.

And it would only be a temporary solution anyway, as we would inevitably ruin the new planet as well.

1 person likes this.
  2. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ^ excellent point, Daniel - "Earth II" probably would not be utopia for long.

3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ^ Not if you fly Southwest, it won't.
    As stated above.....it's all a matter of perspective.

4. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Remember I'm in Dallas and mentioned one of two airlines headquartered here.

How would it have come of if I said fly American Airlines instead? :eek:

5. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What is the UD opinion of the Volt?

Wouldn't it be funny (?) if the same people think ... ooooh, the Volt is so cool, because it's built here in the US! ...

Trouble is the Volt sells at about 600 ish units per month over a year after introduction, they are still running TV and large newspaper ads while the Prius rolls along selling 10k+ units per month, out of a country that had a horrific earthquake and tsunami last year.

6. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nada.
    It's just greener to drive instead.
    Yeah...I know. Rail is even greener, but here in America the only one who can make a stab at passenger rail is Uncle Sam, and he's getting his butt handed to him over it....;)

7. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    We may as well "get back" by upping the negative definitions of Hummer on UD.

It's a fairly regular occurrence that I see Hummer H2s running around my area, even w/gas nearing $4/gallon (well, it's above $4 for premium around me now). I saw at least two today and of course, the two I could see into were driven solo. :rolleyes:

I wish these H2 and Excursion drivers were forced to serve in the Middle East for a few years to help secure our oil supply, as a requirement of buying one.

8. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ^ but there is a high proportion of chicken hawks that bought the H2, and I'm not making this up.

9. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've got two deployments under my belt (I got lucky! I was a REMF both times...;) ) But I'm thinking that forcing people to drive what Big Bro wants you to drive isn't what I signed up to protect and defend. YMMV, of course, and I do understand the sentiment.

Just be satisfied that H2 drivers pay a helluva lot more in gas and taxes than the average econobox driver does.

Oops.
    My bad. I meant ECO-box. :D

1 person likes this.
  10. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My issue is that the drivers of such monstrosities either don't care or don't have a clue about our dependence on foreign oil, how much of it resides in volatile regions where some of the people and governments don't have our bests interests in mind, the military operations/interventions needs to secure its supply, some of the money finding its way into the hands of terrorists or people wanting to kill our troops, etc.

In short, they don't see the connection between driving their uber-monstrosity battering ram of death and national security. Then there's the issue of safety when driving around 6400+ lb. monster w/terrible handling and brakes vs. the other vehicle (when virtually every other light vehicle weighs less).

11. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Just tax gas enough to actually pay for all those wars, for cleaning up the pollution, for the medical bills for the environmental illnesses, etc. And make sure that people understand that they're just paying the real cost of the damn stuff. Then tax road vehicles by weight X miles to pay for the roads.

12. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm picking up what you're putting down, but we're sending a rather cloudy message about oil versus national security when we tell our neighbors to the North to take their frackin oil (pun intended) and shove it up their own pipeline.
    As far as the SUV drivers are concerned, Daniel is somewhat right. I'd gladly entertain (another) gas guzzler tax, but you have to understand that not all trucks in the USA are out there are clogging up the urban sprawl in Cali. Some folks actually have trucks because they're engaged in farming, or run a small business, or whatever.
    Fortunately, at least the way I see it, we have a system (for now) where local governments can make local laws for local folks that make sense locally.
    Sometimes......when you get Big Bro allllll spun up on a spleen vent against your particular pet hate, the law of unintended consequences kicks in and bites some poor schlub that you're not even pissed at square on the backside.

....just sayin. ;)

13. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    We have to pay for oil wars somehow. Why not make the people who consume the oil pay for the wars that procure that oil? We have to pay for roads somehow. Why not tax the vehicles that use the roads in proportion to their wear and tear on those roads? (Weight times miles.) This is not about getting mad at anybody. It's about paying for the services we demand in a rational manner, rather than taxing everybody for services some do not use and giving a subsidy to those who use the services.

14. mmcdonal

mmcdonal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well, I couldn't help myself. Here is my submission to the Urban Dictionary. Let's see if that one shows up in the list:

Review your submission

You sent this to Urban Dictionary, but it is not yet published.
    This is your last opportunity to check it out before it gets reviewed by editors.

Prius Hater
    n. 1. A usually misinformed (and proud of it), flag waving, under educated, under employed, tool of the oil oligarchy who chooses to rant against vehicles and owners of vehicles they characterize as being misinformed, flag desecrating, over educated, over employed tools of the tree hugging elite, to vent their frustration over their lot in life. 2. One who eschews fact checking. 3. One who embraces their conclusions, and then reasons therefrom (see also: Fallacy of Rational Construction, Social Dysfunction.)
    I don't have any factual information regarding the service life of that vehicle's components, or its actual mileage, or the nature of the person driving it, or its impact on the environment, or its performance capabilities, but it is a Prius and my friends are Prius Haters, so I, too, am a Prius hater, lest they eject me from our co-dependent group.
    by mmcdonal on Feb 17, 2012
    tags: inbred, redneck, hillbilly, undersized wedding tackle, gas guzzler

1 person likes this.
  15. mmcdonal

mmcdonal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Okay, it is missing some parallel structure in the first definition, but I didn't think the prius haters would notice.

16. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Lmao at the tags at the bottom!

EVO 4G ?.

17. mmcdonal

mmcdonal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    They only wanted 5 tags, so I was limited.

18. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    "flag waving, under educated, under employed" should all be hyphenated:

flag-waving, under-educated, under-employed.

19. mmcdonal

mmcdonal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I should of know that, being over edemecated myself leastways.

20. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    mmcdonal,

As to your submission...
    Good luck, it looks like you may have overestimated the
    grade reading level of the prospective readers: :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

Flesch Reading Ease: 66 - 60 to 70 = 8th/9th grade level

Fog Scale Level: 11.89 - (Too many 3 and 3+ syllable words! :nono:)
    10 is "hard," 15 is "difficult."

Writing sample Analyzer

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.