1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Buying Tips??

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by WesleyDofflemyer, May 20, 2018.

1. WesleyDofflemyer

WesleyDofflemyer New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Within the next few weeks I'm going to (hopefully) be buying a Prius. Most likely 2010-2012. The catch is that I am going to be buying the Prius from a dealer auction, so my time with the car will be short and I won't get to take it on a thorough test drive or anything, but I can drive it around a parking lot. I know that it's a little risky but I'm okay with that, this isn't a long term car, I just need something for a few months. I have an OBDII scanner that I am going to use and I plan to get a car with service records. And I'm aware about the oil burning issue, thatst fine, my main concern is the battery or other systems involved. What are some tips I could use when looking at a Prius? I've never had a Prius before. All help is appreciated :)

2. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    On the steering wheel, there is a button for "trip", which stands for Trip A and Trip B. See which one has the higher miles and see what the fuel consumption (mpg) has been. If it's over a couple of thousand miles, it'll give you an indication of if the car is in good running condition. Of course the previous owner's right foot will play a large role in that, too.

WesleyDofflemyer likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    watch the battery gauge. if it fluctuates rapidly, you have a bad battery. if it doesn't, there's no telling how long it will last.
    you have an 8/100 warranty on it.
    all the best.(y)

WesleyDofflemyer likes this.