1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius C 2012 Won't Start/Do Anything

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by thisyearsgirl, Nov 18, 2018.

1. thisyearsgirl

thisyearsgirl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I know there are other threads about this, and I've read through them, but I'm pretty clueless about cars so I could use some advice.

I've got a 2012 Prius C, with about 60k miles on it, and as of yesterday, it won't start. Nothing in the entire car turns on, not headlights, not interior light, not a check light on the dashboard, not the locks, nothing.

Maybe useful things to know:
    • This has never happened before.
    • I got the car checked out at a Toyota dealership in August and everything was in good condition. Had major (regular) service back in January.
    • The only thing to suggest any issues is I moved my car for street cleaning a couple weeks ago (short drive, half a block) and it felt like it was moving a little sluggish. No lights on the dash.
    • That was the last time I drove it.
    • I'm in Chicago, so the weather has been in the 30s and 40s lately. This is only my second winter here, and I'm not used to cold weather, nor is my car.
    • I let the gas tank get too low, probably one or two bars.
    • I'm pretty sure the key fob battery is dead because it had been giving me trouble for awhile.
    • The brake pedal feels different, like it's not depressing all the way.
    I'm assuming this might be a dead battery issue, but I don't know much about that and no one around me has ever had a hybrid. Does this sound like a battery issue? One of my friends said Priuses have two batteries, does this sound like one more than the other? And if so, is there any chance it's the one that's got the longer 10 year warranty?

My current plan is to have it towed into the dealer tomorrow to look at it, but is there anything I can try before then? I've read a few things on here suggesting trying to jump a Prius is a bad idea. Is there any chance going and getting a can of gas to fill up the tank would help anything?

Sorry, I know some of these questions are probably incredibly stupid, but I really appreciate any advice! I just started a new job so cash is tight and I'd love to avoid a dealer trip if possible, but I also don't want to mess anything up and cause way more damage.

#1 thisyearsgirl, Nov 18, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, you need a new 12 volt battery. it is the small one under the back seat, and there is no warranty left.
    is there anyone who can jump start the car for you, so you don't have to pay for a tow?

do you have triple a?

3. thisyearsgirl

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have roadside assistance through Progressive so I think that will cover a tow. Do you recommend taking it to the dealer or some other place like Autozone? I've always just had maintenance done at the dealer since I'm not very car literate, but I also know how often they overcharge...

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would call around for prices. if the dealer isn't more than 20% higher, it's a good battery with good warranty.
    some auto parts stores may be unaware of the difficult battery location.

thisyearsgirl likes this.
  5. thisyearsgirl

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, I appreciate your help :)

bisco likes this.
  6. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    the c uses an odd size 12 volt battery, not easy to find. All the Toyota dealers can get it without drama but the parts stores like Autozone may be scratching their heads at this puzzle.

thisyearsgirl likes this.
  7. robP

robP Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Did a new 12v battery fix the problem.

8. davids45

davids45 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    G'day,

You wrote:
    "I'm pretty sure the key fob battery is dead because it had been giving me trouble for awhile."

Being a cheapskate, I'd start by replacing the battery in the key.

I had to replace the small Li battery in one of our keys. Couldn't start the car on a country drive after a brief comfort stop in the middle of almost nowhere.
    Luckily I found I could re-start the car by holding the key with the dead-ish battery right next to the blue Power button, enough then to drive to a small town dealer for a new key battery. I was told this is pretty common with new owners of cars with such keys.
    Cost $11 but next time, I'll buy a new Li battery only - about $3. The manual shows what to buy (CR1632 in Oz) and how to do the replacement.

The key battery lasts about three years which is pretty right - mine is a 2016 'c'.

If this doesn't help you, then start checking more costly options.

Good luck.

David S.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    11-18-18