1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius C 2013 Trim 2 vs 2015 Trim 2?

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by CindyLou20, Apr 26, 2020.

1. CindyLou20

CindyLou20 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Hello! I just joined as I have a burning question. I am looking at buying an used Prius C. I am looking at a 2013 C, Trim 2 and will be looking at a 2015 C, Trim 2. The 2015 has 15,000 more miles than the 2013. This particular 2013 comes with leather seats, heated seats and a sun roof. The 2015 has all standard equipment. I know that in general newer models have more safety features. What features are standard on the 2015 that the 2013 doesn't have? Please feel free to share your opinions or recommendations or any information you think I should have as I weigh these two possibilities. Thanks so much!

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The 2015 model is the year they did the midlife update so you got LED headlights as standard equipment (much better than the halogens if you drive at night or routinely drive on dark country roads). I think there were some other minor updates to the interior as well for 2015.

The 2013 looks like it had aftermarket leather seats, heated seats and a moonroof since those did not come on a level 2.

Toyota Safety Sense - C (TSS-C) wasn't made available until 2016 and was made standard in 2017. (then upgraded for 2019 to TSS-C+ with pedestrian detection)

3. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'd always suggest getting the youngest one you can afford. Mileage means very little to these cars and there are a bunch of nice detail upgrades on the 2015+ c.

4. CindyLou20

CindyLou20 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you guys! Hmm! I'm wondering if maybe the 2013 really is in a different trim class than the 2 that I was told? I don't remember where the controls for the moon roof was but I do remember seeing the button for heated seats in the center, sort of in between the front seats and the driveshift. Would the button be easily added after-market?
    Normally I would go with the newer model as I know it would have more updated safety features. However I am pausing here because the 2015 is listed as cheaper than the 2013, has more miles and has hail damage on the hood according to the seller. I will be going to see it in a couple hours to assess the whole of the car!
    If the engine has some tan/brown discoloring, is that OK? (I will not be purchasing any car until it passes my mechanic's check.)
    I'm assuming cruise control has been standard on Prius C for a long time now?
    Thank you again so much! We are excited to be adding a Prius to the family! I've had Honda's mainly but loved the Sienna I had for a while. I was so sad to part with it at 250,000 miles.

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's possible. A 2013 Prius c Four would have those features. Note that all Prius c models came with standard cloth seats or optional SofTex synthetic leather seats. Real leather was never an option. IIRC, most Prius c models with factory moonroof and SofTex had the 16" alloys. A moonroof was available on the Three with cloth seats.

I'll let someone else comment on the engine question as I have no clue.

I believe the base Prius c One did not have cruise control but the Two, Three and Four do.

6. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Did all of those early four models have those 16" alloys? One unfortunate side effect of the 16" wheels is that those cars also have a different steering rack and the turning circle is much wider than all the other c models. It makes for better comfort as a highway cruiser but you sacrifice a lot of agility/maneuverability in tight spaces.

It sounds like there is a cosmetic issue with the engine, I would not worry. The most likely answer is a minor oil spill near the fill cap on the valve cover. That would start honey-colored and eventually darken through toasted bread shades towards black.

7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It was optional on the c Four. It was a moonroof and alloys package IIRC.

You're right. It had a quicker steering ratio but also a terrible (for its size) turning radius because of the wheel lock-out to prevent rubbing against the wheel well.

8. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    As far as I know, cruise control has been standard on all c models two and higher for the entire production run.

Additionally it is relatively easy to retrofit onto one models.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  9. CindyLou20

CindyLou20 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Well, I'm back after looking at the 2015 C. I'm confounded. It needed a key to turn and fire up the engine. The 2013 was keyless start (foot on brake while pushing the button). The body damage is bad (hail damage, windshield chip, deep scratches to the bumper material on the back). It was sad. I will take the 2013 unless my insurance company supports my buying this damaged car and the owner will come down a lot on the asking price (to cover repairs). I heard "Oh it only costs $100-150 to replace the hood."

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It looks like the 2013 is a higher trim level than the 2015. I think a Three or a Four added the Smart Key System (SKS).

11. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Yep, sounds like the 2013 is a fancier version.

Personally I have a strong preference for the traditional twist key in the ≤2 model but I know the ≥3 with smart key and pushbutton has its fans too.

$150 to heal a hailed hood is obviously bogus. You might maybe find a replacement hood same color from a rear-ended car in a junkyard for short money but the odds aren't fantastic.

I'd probably still go for the 2015 for the better headlights (you haven't driven it at night) and the improved climate control, and most importantly a two-years-younger hybrid battery.

Good luck!

dig4dirt likes this.