1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius C 2015 Major Repair and Cost

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by TimoSpenter56, Mar 8, 2023.

1. TimoSpenter56

TimoSpenter56 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Hello. I have a 2015 Prius C with around 55k miles and starting to wonder if there's any major cost coming up for maintenance so that I can save up for it. I do regular oil changes, and replaced the battery 2 years ago, and replaced all 4 tires last year, so I think it is in good shape.

I do not drive it much or go too far because I work from home for the past 2 years, but not certain if there's maintenance cost coming up due to car age alone? I have very little knowledge of cars and couldn't find a quick google search answer as to if maintenance is based on car age or mileage put in.

I would appreciate and welcome my fellow prius c drivers or prius experts advice and suggestions regarding major costs for the car I should be aware of as I'm nearing the 10 year mark soon.

Thank you and advance.

Cheers.

Pri3C likes this.
  2. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The hybrid battery is probably the only one you need to worry about. You'd do well to budget about $3k (in today's dollars)

As to when? Toyota seems to expect them to last 10-12 years. This website has reports of some premature failures, and the very oldest Prius c in the world just turned 11 this past December just to give you a frame of reference.

If the big-body Prius (which has been around longer) is used as an example, we know that some of them kept their original batteries much longer.

Keep the battery cooling fan clean for best results. That's the one under the left rear seat. There are youtubes showing how to do it all yourself in 15 minutes with a screwdriver and a vacuum cleaner. It seems like a minor thing but it really does count a lot for future battery health.

It sounds like you've got everything else squared away nicely, hope you keep enjoying your car!

EDIT:

Not really sure what your threshold is for saving up but just to mention it you'll be due for coolant service and spark plugs around 100k miles... apparently you've much more time for those.

Pri3C, MattHoyle and TimoSpenter56 like this.
  3. PriusII&C

PriusII&C Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Prius C is a very reliable car. It looks like you have been taking good care of it, so I don't expect any major maintenance coming up soon. Just follow the maintenance schedule in the manual, and you will be fine.

Pri3C and TimoSpenter56 like this.
  4. MattHoyle

MattHoyle Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I'd encourage you to save regularly for car maintenance, @TimoSpenter56 . And yes, the hybrid battery is.probably several years away, but you'll be glad you saved for it when it comes due. ("The bill always comes due.").

Pri3C likes this.
  5. Pri3C

Pri3C Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Since you stated you don’t drive it much, I’d recommend making sure you give it a decent drive every couple weeks. The Prius is designed to be a workhorse commuter, and sometimes sitting too long can cause its own set of problems with the 12v battery and other components.

It sounds like your car is in good hands and good shape with lots of miles to go. Enjoy!

6. old mechanic

old mechanic New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would advise everyone who owns any car with a hydroboost or an ABS module to have the brake fluid flushed frequently. Probably every 3 to 5 years depending on driving environment and average humidity in your location.