1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius C AC condenser replace and recarge

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by DWGpriusC, Apr 11, 2017.

1. DWGpriusC

DWGpriusC New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    I have a 2015 Prius C and recently the AC stopped working. Took it to the dealer and they told me a rock hit my AC condenser and the repair would be $900 even though I'm under warranty and purchased the car at the dealership. I recently ordered the condenser on amazon which I found for under $60.

I'm having an extremely difficult time finding the ND11 compatible R134a refrigerant. There was another thread about prius AC condenser repair that someone linked TSI CQ16136 part number, but that thread is from 2010 and the part number no longer appears to be valid. In that thread he also said that the system takes 10 cc of this special R134A for hybrids. When I googled the number above I find on amazon:

This doesn't appear to be the refrigerant unless I'm missing something. I called the dealer and they won't even sell the refrigerant over the counter will only sell it as part of a repair service. All that being said I have a father in law that is a mechanic and has the equipment necessary to pull off this repair however he doesn't work on hybrid cars normally and wouldn't have the proper refrigerant to do that kind of repair. I was hoping that someone could help me who has maybe done this repair or at least knows where to get the proper refrigerant. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. TheTimob

TheTimob Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    The refrigerant is the same - but the oil is special for the hybid - it has to be non-conductive because of the HV motor in the A/C Compressor. You can't use an A/C Recovery machine for normal cars on a hybrid due to potential of contamination of the system.

The dealer probably won't sell you the refrigerant because they have it in a 30lb can.

Most mechanics won't touch hybrid A/C because they aren't interested in buying a dedicated A/C machine to work on a very small percentage of cars, and they don't want to blow up an expensive compressor and HV inverter if they do it wrong.

The correct way is to replace the failed part, also replace the receiver dryer (this is a moisture absorber that must be replaced anytime the system is open) and then pull a vacuum on the system for a while. Replace the quantity of oil that's in those two items, and charge the system to the correct high/low pressures.

If you don't have access to a hybrid A/C machine, then you'll need to buy a 2-stage vacuum pump, and a set of R-134a manifold gauges. The machines have these items built in and automate the process.

(I have a MACS certification)

EDIT: You're probably not going to need very much of the oil at all. Most of it stays in the A/C compressor.

#2 TheTimob, Apr 12, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I believe you need to have a dedicated set of plumbing for recharging Prius, to avoid contamination? Not sure.

I'm extremely leary of DIY on the AC system. My 2 cents: ask the dealership if they can install the part you bought, and recharge the system? They would need to verify it is in fact compatible. Or just eat the $60 cost, go 100% with the dealership's proposal?

4. TheTimob

TheTimob Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    You're right - even 1% contamination of the wrong oil lowers the resistance enough to at the very least set a DTC and disable the system. Worst case is a >240v short circuit!

Don't borrow a manifold gauge set and vacuum pump - they need to be free from contamination. Also do not inject UV dye in the system - that's conductive too, and it's usually suspended in normal PAG oil.

5. TheTimob

TheTimob Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    To answer the real question: You can find 12oz cans of JUST R-134a at the auto parts stores. These will be the cheapest ones. Advance sells it for around $12.99 right now, but the price has been highly variable over the last 10 years.

Note that the cans you typically see in stores are an all-in-one charge kit with additives and oil in them. Some of them have dye, stop-leak and other things. They will ruin a hybrid car.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    And then you've got to invest in the hoses and valves. And you don't have the Repair Manual specs. And last but not least: if you're not doing this stuff on a regular basis, is it worth the risk? Depends on your skill level, but yeah: this is one I'd leave to the pros, just say screw it and get out the card.

Oh yeah, the dealership should be responsibly catching any evacuated gasses.

7. TheTimob

TheTimob Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    So, when I drove to work I turned on my A/C to see if it still works after this winter. Well it doesn't work at all. :( I opened the hood and pressed on the valve core to see if there's any pressure in the system... nothing. Looking through the front grille- sure enough, an oil stain. In the middle of it is a bent tube with a rock hole.
    IMG_3632.jpg

So now we're in this together!!

I looked for condensers, turns out that the Prius C has the receiver/dryer integrated in the side of the condenser. Your Amazon one probably already has it installed.

So I'm going to do a bit of research and order one myself.

8. madmax75

madmax75 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    You could see if the dealership will suck out the old ac refridgerent for you. Then you can replace the part and take it back for the recharge. If they are willing to do that. By law the dealership or mechanic has suck out any refridgerent in the system to open up the ac system. But if you have a gaping hole it is more then likley all ready done for you. Im pretty sure they wont due the recovery step since its now an open system till they replace the part. Due a recovery and recharge/ oil the system. Its been awhile since ive did this and was licensed. But you could ask your father in-law if thats how they are suppose to due it now and the you could at least save on labor for the replacement. Even he could do the work but the dealership would have to due the recovery/ recharge. I was doing it when r12 was switching to 134a. What a scam that was for doing the conversion when they first started doing the switch.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

9. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This is why I have installed mesh screens behind the lower and upper grill openings in both of my cars. It is cheap insurance to hopefully prevent an expensive repair down the road (pardon the pun) to the AC, inverter cooling, or cooling system.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. Shaun_Collins

Shaun_Collins Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You do not need to buy any refrigerant. There is a oil baffle in compressor that keeps the oil contained in the compressor. Follow the manual and start it on low when refilling with refrigerant to keep it from being spread through the system. It is smart and computer will ramp up rpm on its own and take the charge very fast. Only caution is weigh charge & do not let it overcharge.

LG-H918 ?

11. TheTimob

TheTimob Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Update on my car

I've ordered parts and tools

- Denso Condenser I ordered from Advance's website with a $40 off code
    - Robinair 15310 Vacuum pump ordered from Amazon
    - Robinair 49134A Manifold Gauges from Amazon
    - Mastercool 85510 can tap from Amazon
    - R-134a - two 12oz cans which ill pick up at a physical advance store.

Still to get
    ND-11 oil (need less than half an ounce)
    Grille material to protect the new condenser
    Possibly a small scale for weighing the refrigerant

12. Shaun_Collins

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What the heck I mean oil.

LG-H918 ?

13. Shaun_Collins

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ..Meant...
    Gees my typing is bad. Comes from all the rain we have gotten and terrible stuff that grows with it like mold and too much overtime.

LG-H918 ?

14. TheTimob

TheTimob Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Update: after "processing" the order for 7 days, Advance cancelled the order saying out of stock. Fail.

Ordered a Sunbelt Radiator one from Amazon. The Denso would have been nice, but it needs to actually exist to be worth anything lol.

15. DWGpriusC

DWGpriusC New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    I ended up doing the repair and recharge myself. My local toyota dealer wanted $400 to do an evac/recharge which seemed ludicrous for the amount of work. Not surprised given how bad their service has been with everything else thus far. I checked a bunch of local shops who said they would do evac/leak check/recharge for $150, but none seemed to actually know that hybrids had to be treated differently nor did they have a separate machine for it. Some even mentioned they had recharged other prius's with standard oil and that it "worked". I did the vacuum with a pump and manifold gauges that are about 15 years old and hadn't been used in 10 to suck the system. I actually couldn't charge the system with this set because I didn't have the correct adapter for it to use the newer style California R134a cans that have the shut off valves. I ended up buying a recharge kit from Wal-mart for $15. I found the ND-11 oil at local store and the repair guide I found said to put 1.4 oz (40 ml) which I added into the condenser after I installed it(with some semi-professional help) with a syringe.

After adding the oil I hooked back up the vacuum for a couple of hours on the system then put in my R-134A. I bought 2 cans as the guide indicated it would take 16.6 oz of R134a. I turned on my AC and hooked up to the low side ,but to my surprise and dismay the system would not take anything over 7 oz and the low side pressure was 36 which also is the max recommended. I wasn't really watching pressure because I expected to need more than a full can, but it seems like the system won't allow itself to be "overcharged" above 36 psi. The book range listed was 21 to 36 As it cooled the psi did drop to 34 and when I charged the system it was around 90 degrees out. I'm somewhat concerned the pressure may go high when it hits 100s during the summer, but I'm happy to report for the first time in 3 months I had great AC on the way home (about a 90 min drive). Seems like it works even better now than before. The only other issues of concern is that when the car is stopped and hood open if the AC is on it makes the compressor a buzzing sound(can't hear it inside the car). I found a youtube video of someone asking and some posts on these forums where other people seemed to indicate their car makes that sounds even though they haven't done work on the AC. I never noticed it before but also hadn't done any work on my car. Curious if others confirm they hear this buzzing sound when their compressor is on and the car is parked. That being said here is what it cost me:

Dealer price $900 ($400 for recharge/evac only) They claimed I believe 4.5 hours of labor @ $135 an hour

Condenser - $58
    R134A (1 bottle) $9
    ND-11 Oil $20
    Recharge Kit (CA) $15
    Borrowed pump & Manifold $Free
    ------------------------------------------------
    Total Cost $102
    Total Labor ~2 actual hours of labor not included vacuum time

I'm assuming the dealer recharge cost includes the entire time the vehicles is hooked up even though nobody has to actually do anything for the time its hooked up. I don't know if its typical of all Toyota Dealer, but I feel like mine is a total rip off and they have really soured me on Toyota in general. Anyone have any recommendations on how to protect the prius AC condenser from future road objects? I drive a mountain road every day so it could be susceptible to happening again.

16. DWGpriusC

DWGpriusC New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    One more side note to anyone looking at this. If you aren't comfortable charging the system yourself that I understand, but if you have any mechanical inclination whatsoever the condenser removal and install is extremely easy. Having never done it before or worked on this model my father-in-law and I had the old one out and new one in and hooked up in under an hour. It was extremely easy and if an hour of your time is worth $400 then I highly recommend doing that part of the repair yourself since I don't think you can really screw it up unless you lose parts. The recharge is a little more trick and subjective, but if you can find a place that knows what they are doing with hybrids that will do it for $150 then its probably worth it for piece of mind. I couldn't find that and there is no way I'm giving my Toyota dealer another penny of my money.

17. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, get some mesh like this:

UNIVERSAL BLACK ALUMINUM DIAMOND MESH for your CUSTOM GRILL GRILLE

And install it behind the upper and lower grill openings. I have them zip tied with small black ones.

Or, you can get a roll of polypropylene gutter screens from the big box hardware store.

http://low.es/1Cgwye8

#17 xliderider, May 1, 2017
    Last edited: May 1, 2017
  18. DWGpriusC

DWGpriusC New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the tip on the mesh!

19. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No problem. It's important to protect the radiator for the inverter as well, that's an expensive item to replace. ;)

20. Sean Nelson

Sean Nelson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    I do not know - $400 for a job that includes over $100 of supplies and two hours of labour doesn't seem that unreasonable to me. I'd expect cheaper from an independent garage, but dealers are always the most expensive place to go for repairs. You're paying for them to be familiar with the procedures and have the right equipment to do the job.

Sure, if you can do the job yourself then it's a lot cheaper. But for someone who's just gone and had this done and paid $400 for it then IMHO they shouldn't feel like they've been ripped off.

Mendel Leisk likes this.