1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius C Aftermarket Stereo

Discussion in 'Prius c Audio and Electronics' started by Wharfe, Apr 20, 2012.

1. dividedsky

dividedsky New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Wharfe, you're probably already well aware of this, but one thing I have not seen mentioned in this thread with respect to dampening is the potential it has to add a significant amount of additional weight to your C.

Back when I was young and stupid and drove an Audi A4 with 2 JL audio 12" subs in a box in the trunk, I quickly realized my "awesome system" would sound, to those I passed on the street, more like a robot with a bad case of indigestion. So I purchased some dynamat and installed it on the trunk lid and along the trunk walls. It did the trick, but that stuff is HEAVY!

Point being, don't go overboard with sound dampening material or else I would think you risk losing a little bit of your fuel efficiency. Most audiophiles wouldn't mind the sacrifice I'm sure, but most audiophiles don't drive a Prius. :)

1 person likes this.
  2. Wharfe

Wharfe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Cheers, divided! Great points. I did consider that, so I ordered some lightweight material and I'm not going to do the whole car. Hopefully what I've got coming will be enough to tame the doors a reasonable amount, there won't be any subs either so I'm hoping for the best. Definitely don't want to add too much weight, but I think this will be alright!

3. Wharfe

Wharfe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I popped in the new Clarion head unit today, didn't do the steering wheel controls yet..

What an improvement. The factory head unit was definitely the weakest part of the chain.. The factory speakers are still cheap crap but they sound a million times better with the new head unit.

4. dividedsky

dividedsky New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Nice. Clarion makes great head units. Come to think of it, they're the only brand of aftermarket head unit I've ever purchased.

How do you have it mounted? Any pics??

5. Wharfe

Wharfe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    The factory stereo had 2 brackets on it which then attach to the car to keep it in place. Just removed those and put them on the Clarion unit. Perfect. It was easy to get the factory radio out, but FYI, the screws holding the brackets to the factory radio (NOT the 4 holding the brackets to the car) are easily damaged and they are in SUPER TIGHT! I actually had to drill one of them out. Just use a ratchet right from the start. Don't try using a screwdriver or pliers to remove them..

It will look great once I get a piece fabricated to fill in the sides, or a real dash kit.

Attached Files:

6. donny612

donny612 "Captain Jack Sparrow"

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I do believe I'll wait until somebody makes a kit for our cars. Don't think I could deal with the unfinished dash look. A better sounding system is a definite must though...

7. nallioni

nallioni New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    thanx for the providign the info. now for a good question, do you think the magnet of an infinity kappa 6.5 would fit? those things are huge.

8. Wharfe

Wharfe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    I think it's likely. There's nothing really behind the speaker, except the outer door panel. There is quite a bit of space.

This would be helpful info for everyone to know the exact depth. When I have the door panels off on Thursday to complete my install I will take a measurement and post it.

2 people like this.
  9. dividedsky

dividedsky New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    That Clarion head unit is going to look great once you get a dash kit or fab up something yourself. Good choice. Also, I like that you care enough about your sound that you're willing to leave your dash looking like that until you can get a solution together! :D

10. nallioni

nallioni New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    a car is the "worst" invesment because its a depreciating asset. yet for some of us is the investment we use and enjoy the most. If you spend more than an hour daily on your car then you owe it to yourself to get a good stereo.

11. nallioni

nallioni New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    worst case scenario- DREMEL TIME!:evil:

12. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I bet it does. It just strikes me as odd that someone would complain about it given the manufacturing and pricing constraints imposed on this particular vehicle. If it sucks then you upgrade it. Whining about it just seems like a waste of time. :)

13. Wharfe

Wharfe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Prius C Aftermarket Stereo - Rear Speakers

OK it is done! I'm no expert on car audio, this was my first install, but it's done and I learned a lot which can hopefully help anyone else looking to replace their factory stereo..

I put some Deflex pads behind the rear speakers and also put some damping on the outer door panels (The hard plastic) Not sure if it makes much of a difference there but I couldn't stick it to the plastic sheet on the actual metal door, and no way was I ripping it apart to replace with dynamat. Not necessary for this install.

There was a surprising amount of water in the doors. On the wires. On the speakers. I didn't like that.. Thankfully I had purchased these baffles to protect my speakers from water.. However, after installing the first one, I quickly learned that they had a serious negative impact on bass response. What I ended up doing was using the outer edge of the baffle (to seal the front) but I cut the back off so the speaker could benefit from the hollow car door. Sound is much better. Still concerned about water but I did leave some of the baffle there.. My suggestion would be to try cutting some smaller holes in the downward facing part before cutting the back off completely like I did.

Depth-wise, the rear door speaker holes are about 2.5" deep measuring from the metal bar to the outer edge. Shame the bar is there, otherwise the door is quite deep. See pic below.

Wiring was a little tricky because none of the wires use traditional positive/negative color coding. What I did was look at each factory speakers connector, and make sure I kept the same phase for each of my speakers (Just by holding the connectors together in the same position and looking at which color wire corresponded to the same wire in the other speakers -- ie in the pic below, both the black and pink would be Negative) and I did a listening test to ensure it was wired correctly.

The doors are easy to get off but a B***H to put back on. I got them all back after fiddling long enough but trying to get the 4 slots for the door handle to line up while getting the top edge in just doesn't make sense.

Attached Files:

Ryephile, Daze and Shibby like this.
  14. Wharfe

Wharfe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't have pics of the front door setup but some interesting tips.

The factory tweeters are glued to this cheap plastic mount, found it difficult to reuse in any way and I wasn't sure if it would line my new tweeter up properly with the opening.

I could have cut the factory tweeter "grille" out of the door panel and put a new one in but I didn't want to be to brave. What I ended up doing was actually supergluing/taping the tweeters to the backside of the door panel right over the opening.

Woofers were similar to the back BUT! The front windows, when in the down position, are right behind the speaker! You only have about 2" of depth in the front, any more and you're going to be in the way of the power window. The factory speaker actually took this into consideration because it came out about 1" on the front side of the door.. So you may be able to rig something up like that if you're considering deeper speakers, but the Alpine's with their mounting ring & the baffle fit just fine on their own.

Wiring is a little confusing on first glance but here's how it works.

There are two wires at the woofer, and four at the tweeter. So there are NO crossovers hidden in the car. It's simply a pass-thru from the tweeter to the woofer. To find the wires coming from the head unit, check the 4 that were on the tweeter. 2 of them (opposite colors) are carrying your full range signal. I connected that to the back of my woofer, and then the tweeter crossovers connect there as well. I zip tied the crossover to the wiring for the power window controls. It was not in the way of the door panel then, and I can actually see the crossovers if I pop off the power window control panels.

In both the back and front I had to drill holes for the new speakers to mount properly and fit (centering the bracket over the hole best I could.) Just be careful you don't hit anything behind while drilling (roll the windows UP!)

Not much room on the front doors for dampening material, and I didn't bother with the deflex pads either becuase of the window (though I think you could fit them in anyway.)

1 person likes this.
  15. Wharfe

Wharfe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    The end result sounds awesome. There's no rattling at this volume.

I wouldn't mind an amp to give the speakers some more juice. They can take a LOT more! The Clarion still gets them to night club levels. I guess I am being greedy! This is plenty of power, and I don't think I will add an amp or a sub even though I would like to hit the lower notes better!

Really glad I did the upgrade, and on my own. I didn't trust the local shop. They told me that I couldn't even put an aftermarket head unit in this car.

If you are looking for a quick, cost effective way to improve your Prius C sound system, go for a head unit upgrade first. When I did that it greatly improved the sound of my system even with the factory speakers. Of course you'll have the issue of no dash kit.

I think I've covered everything. I'm waiting on an antenna adapter to come in, then I will install it and also the SWI-JACK for steering wheel controls which should be fun. :rolleyes: Then I will tackle the Viper SmartStart system.

Feel free to ask any questions, I'll help the best I can! And thanks to everyone who has already posted on the forum about this stuff, helped me a great amount when planning the install.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  16. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for documenting your work. This will help many others well into the future. :)

17. DJMaudio

DJMaudio Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The alpine SPR60Cs and 60s are very good speakers for the price. But just like every decent speaker it's not going to shine without an amplifier. I would reccomend the alpine mrp300 or highly reccomend the Arc xdi800.4. I work in a car audio shop and have these exact alpine speakers in my demo board. If you don't put an amp to them you won't reach 50% of their potential. It's like buying a flat screen TV and putting basic cable to it. The SPR60s are very easy to install and their crossovers are very easy to work with.

In any vehicle such as the scion XD or Prius C that has the speakers riveted in, you simply have to drill them out. You then have to build speaker plates for the new speakers. I generally use MDF or Medex for the plates. Once you have the plates mounted and speakers in, you should use some form of sound dampener for any gaps and to seal the door enclosure. I generally use Second Skin. It's pretty cost effective and works great.

Good Luck!

1 person likes this.
  18. Pittmonster

Pittmonster New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    These Factory stereos blow i tell ya. I saw there navigation unit on this model and was not impressed at all. The speakers are crap too. So this is a double din setup? What do i need in order for my controls on the steering wheel still to work? Also does anyone have any suggestions on an aftermarket double din navigation unit. Also i wanted to skip out on getting an amp what speakers would be recommended and should i just get one of those booster units that double the wattage of the deck.Awesome discussion awesome car

19. Pittmonster

Pittmonster New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Another thing is when i go to look at a double din deck and type in see if it fits your car for prius c they say no. Is that because they dont have a install kit for dash yet?

20. DJMaudio

DJMaudio Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Yes. That's because there is no Dash Kit released for the C yet. Both Metra and Schosce told me that they will have a solution soon. Its just such a new car that they haven't yet.

The C will 100% fit any double din. As for the steering wheel controlls a few ppl on here are saying that they have had success with the PAC-SWI.
    I've used them in the past and they work well. I just haven't personally tried it yet on the C.