1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius C and the search for a suitable scanner

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Steve Morris, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Steve Morris

Steve Morris Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    ----Australia----
    Hi I own a 2013 Prius C and it has been rough idling and the engine is also has rough revving at low revs (up to about 1700rpm).
    I did purchase a Foxwell NT204, that seems well and good but perhaps it is not quite enough to find out what else is the cause, I can't update this for my car.
    I did replace an 02 sensor, prior to the catalytic convertor (upstream), this made very little difference and is progressively worsening!
    Other than that perhaps a visit to a dealership is due.
    I was ok on cars pre 2006 but there seems so be so many more sensors now, so I need to analyse the engine.
    Any ideas would be great, thanks.

bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    tech stream from amazon, and a compatible windows laptop

3. Steve Morris

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    ----Australia----
    Cheers for that. I'll look into this type of scanning option, heaps for sale online and it seems if the program has the ability to scan a Lexus, then it will be ok for a Prius C, I think I read that somewhere..... It is a much cheaper option when used with for a windows operating laptop, but I have a mac book pro, maybe someone I know can lend me theirs!

bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you need older os, check the unit you buy for requirements. sometimes they can be had cheaply on eBay and etc.

5. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I've done auto stuff with my macs, but one day I realized that I could get a totally useful windows laptop for $100 at the pawn shop, and I would never care about it getting greasy or having a wrench dropped on it etc. So now the macs stay clean and I have a dedicated garage computer. I think I won back a couple days of my life not torturing virtualbox etc into working for weird car apps.

Steve Morris and ztanos like this.
  6. Steve Morris

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    ----Australia----
    Hey great idea. Here is a guy with a great idea because I was not even thinking of a second hand computer as an option - thanks!

7. Steve Morris

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    ----Australia----
    Thanks for your response. I see you have some input with help for peoples Pruis issues...... but one question and that is, what is "os"?
    I'm all ears...…..

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Operating system

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Generally, you need an older windows system

Steve Morris likes this.
  10. Steve Morris

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    ----Australia----
    Thanks for the quick response, a computer guru matey also said the same......so basic hehe

bisco likes this.
  11. Steve Morris

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    ----Australia----
    Hey guys thanks for the input replies. It turns out to be injectors were partially blocked, must've been a bad batch of fuel - happens a lot said the guy at the mechanic shop.
    When I receive the tech stream etc, I will then have another project to learn about what on earth is occurring after I push the go button on the Prius C!
    Through this I always try and follow the cheapest option first, I spoke to a mechanic when I dropped the injectors off to get cleaned and he said his scanner should be able to find out what's going on with the C and without any charge just to connect it. Where as the dealership, they wanted $140 an hour to hook a scanner when I spoke to the guy behind the desk, in the clinical showroom, so there you go!
    In the 5 mins I spoke to the mechanic, he confirmed I was sounding like I was on the right track......he was right.

ztanos likes this.