1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius C Base Model (Trim I) Availability?

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by Wildfire, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Wildfire

Wildfire New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Just curious if anyone has managed to spot a base model Prius C out in the wild? My girlfriend is in the market for a new car to replace her '93 Honda Civic and, though she likes the look of the Prius C, she's not into any of the "fancy" doo-dads that come with the higher trim packages. Cruise control? She almost never drives on the freeway. Center console? That's what the glove box is for. Variable intermittent windshield wipers? Well OK, this is Seattle so perhaps that one would come in handy.

Though it would seem like we could order one direct from the factory if need be, it sure would be nice to be able to check out one of these in person..

2. StarBrite310

StarBrite310 ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I saw a lot of package ones available down here in LA. I must tell you though that the cloth interior on the base model is different than package two and three and I wasn't too fond of it. I was never in the market for package one anyway, but I looked inside to see the differences. Also it has a lower model sound system and less speakers. But the actual car is the same in how it drives so I'd say if she's not into all the "fancy" doo-dads like you mentioned, it may be just the car for her! Definitely easy to find though. Good luck :)

3. Wildfire

Wildfire New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    It was those seats we are most curious about as I remember reading one description which said they are actually of a lower quality foam than the others, not just that the fabric material is different and that it has fewer adjustments. Having only 4-way adjustable seats in both our Civic and our LEAF, I'm not so concerned about adjustability as I am comfort for the occasional longer-distance jaunt..

4. StarBrite310

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    You are correct in that the seats were not as comfy. They seemed really cheap. I will be very honest with what someone at Toyota told me when I was looking and I agreed with them. They said package one will sell well to businesses who will only use it for their service drivers. Ya know, a pizza delivery man, a messenger service etc. I honestly think she should get package two, if not just for those better quality seats! The cloth interior in the two and three is super nice. I chose it over the Softex and I have had two Prius' already with leather interior!

5. Ashley7

Ashley7 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Isn't the Leaf a fairly spendy car? I only ask because it makes it seem like lowest price possible is the most important item on your list (but forgive me if I'm making incorrect assumptions). You might as well spring for the Two, as it's not that big of a price difference. I was originally looking at the One, but I wanted cruise control, and the other upgrades are nice perks. If you're really strapped for cash, then by all means stick with the One--savings are savings, and I certainly know that every penny helps. But my thought in looking for a car was, if I'm spending a bunch of money on a new car, I might as well spend a little more to get one that isn't completely base level.

6. PreciousPups4U

PreciousPups4U New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    I
    Purchased a Prius c One yesterday. I am on the East Coast though. FYI, it does have the upgraded seats. Not sure why. Even the sales people were at a loss since there does not seem to be an upcharge anywhere.

7. Wildfire

Wildfire New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    To answer your question, the LEAF was for me.. :D:D Besides, after the tax credit and the fact that there's no sales tax on EVs here in WA, it's only the equivalent of a $24K car. Considering my trade-in car was an '01 Kia Rio that I had bought used, I can honestly say I had saved my pennies for the LEAF.

I'd actually have no problem if my g/f wanted the IV or even a full-size Prius, but she's the one making the call on this one. I just want to make sure she gets a car that she'll be happy with for another 20 years. Towards this end, I'll likely try pushing for the II as that's one thing that I do not like in the LEAF: the light colored seats. Hoping for a I with the seats of a II seems like a bit of a stretch to me unless someone finds the key to getting this combination..

8. StarBrite310

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Yours has the two-toned cloth that the two and three have??? :confused:

9. Ashley7

Ashley7 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Man, maybe I should have looked into that! Haha. No sales tax down here in Oregon either. But $20k for the c was already beyond the upper end of my initial budget, so it still would have been ruled out (plus I live in an apartment, so it would have been quite difficult to charge...). Very cool, though! Glad to hear electric cars aren't quite as prohibitively expensive as I thought.

10. PreciousPups4U

PreciousPups4U New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    I
    Yes. I was thinking it would be all gray. Not sure yet how I feel about the two-toned look. The car is red. Guess it will grow on me. Also concerned the lighter center parts will get dirty faster.

No sunroofs here yet though in any model. They said none were expected until August. :-(

11. gramps

gramps Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I saw a base model Prius C in the dealer showroom Saturday in San Diego
    (Chula Vista to be exact) I was waiting on the internet sales manager to come out front to update me on my PIP staus. It was a white one. After I talked to my dealer I went over with him and opened up the doors and glanced at it for a minute. It seems to have much less legroom in the back compared to the Gen II to me. If I had an adult back seat passenger behind the driver seat, they wouldn't have much if any leg room.
    I didn't sit in it or take note of anything just the size.
    My dealer said they had all C models except the 4. They are not a big Prius dealership so I was kind of surprised that they had so many in stock. If I remember correctly the sticker was $19.5K . He told me he would sell it to me under msrp but knew that I wasn't interested.
    If my PIP doesn't come in by next weekend I am going to give the C a test drive.

12. wifemomhockeyfan

wifemomhockeyfan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    After we purchased ours last night, they still had 2 more left at the Dublin CA location.

13. PaulNY

PaulNY New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I just got back from making a deal on the Prius C one now. To get the color I wanted (the "Blue Streak Metallic") they had to do a factory order so I won't have it for a couple months (but that's fine - I wasn't looking to get the car until June anyway).

I really didn't find any major issues with the seats on the one myself. My only complaint about the seats were that the headrests are not height adjustable on the one.

14. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Do not get the One, it's simply not worth it.

The seats are crap, there is no center console on Two+ either, but rather there are armrests, which are a necessity in my book, and the radio is complete and utter crap. You also lose the 60/40 split rear seats, which if you're ever hauling anything, you will definitely need because the trunk space is minimal.

Honestly, just get the Two. It's a difference of 1k, which over 60 months of financing, even with a 10% APR, comes down to ~$18/month.

15. lensovet

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    (I was wrong about the center console — looks like there is storage there — but my point remains that the main benefit of having it is not the storage but rather the armrest.)
    also, the One has no cargo cover, so you can't put valuables in the trunk out of sight. That seems like a pretty bad idea to me as well. there's also apparently no light in the trunk either, which I didn't realize was even possible until now.

16. Erikon

Erikon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    While I personally would want a few more amenities than the base offers, there are plenty of people who don't see the point in having or paying for them. At least Toyota is giving them that choice this time, anyone ever seen a model I Gen 3 yet?;)

17. lensovet

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    plenty, just rent a Prius from Hertz and you'll get one

18. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I never use armrests.

Some people live in places where thefts from cars aren't common. Some people would also never leave valuables in cars, even though they live in a low crime area (because they used to live in the car-crime capital of England, for example).

If there's no cargo cover then the light in the car is going to help. That's assuming you have anything in the thief magnet area anyway. ;)

PS It's extremely rude to tell people to spend another $1k on things that they might not need. Unless you're offering to make up the difference yourself, of course.

19. moezer2112

moezer2112 Futurist

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    ItsNotAboutTheMoney,

so you're saying its about the money then? :pound:

I can certainly remember days when I'd have considered a C One as a huge improvement over my car. I drive my cars from new into the ground over 10-20 years, so I make sure I get the option package and color I want from the start.

20. outhouse

outhouse Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    love my C1

armrest are no biggie at all, my arms are steering anyway so the right rest isnt used.

the cruise control is a issue but im adding that for about 100 bucks

the radio is just fine and still has bluetooth and plays my nano just fine.

seats are fine as im tall and dont need adjustments like a short small person.

1 person likes this.