1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius C "Brake Override Malfunction"

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by R_esq, Mar 20, 2017.

1. R_esq

R_esq New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Touring
    I successfully flushed the brake lines yesterday at 48,000kms on my Prius C.

1 litre of synthetic DOT 3 at a price of $8 versus the stealership charge of $120 plus tax.

The process was extremely easy using the bypass method (tap brake 8x in 5 seconds in neutral, park, then neutral again).

Toyota programmed a DTC to be triggered anytime this mode is entered, even though the flush went well and there is no mechanical problem.

The car drives and stops perfectly fine. The code causes the cruise control to be disabled and the display will only show your menus for 5 seconds before flashing back to the malfunction message.

Has anyone successfully cleared the brake override malfunction code using the paper clip jumper method on a C or gen III?

Disconnecting the battery did not clear the code and the stealership wants $69 + to do it. This is a BS software programming on Toyota's part to force basic maintenance to be done at dealers.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I don't have a c, but that sounds a lot like the C1451 code on a Gen 3 that you get if you enter the brake-invalid mode, and it gets cleared when you go through the air-bleed procedure. (Even if you never opened any lines or did anything to need the air bled.)

I can vouch that Techstream can do it; I'm not aware of a jumper-wire alternative for that procedure.

-Chap

3. R_esq

R_esq New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Touring
    OK thanks for that Chap.

I've ordered the cable connector off EBay for $15 to try getting techstream on my laptop. I don't think it's worth risking jumping the connector and potentially shorting something.

If I can pull off that software / driver loading I'll be ecstatic. Canadian Prius C maintenance schedule is pretty ridiculous - brake flush every 48,000km, cabin air filter every 16,000km, oil at 8,000km instead of 10,000 miles for the same car that lives 100 miles to the south of me.

I drove 150km today with the brake override malfunction code showing. Other than cruise control, there is absolutely zero effect on drivability or MPG with that code.

One upside to stopping at the dealer today was discovering they sell WS ATF for $7.xx CAD. Best price I could find on Amazon was around $10 USD.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hmm ... I had to meet some friends for the evening with the C1451 in my liftback, and in my case it was clear I had nothing but the failsafe, pedal-to-fluid-to-brakes friction braking. It worked fine and I even sort of enjoyed the retro feel. I could finally modulate the brakes down to a jerkless stop the way I always could in non-Prii.

But it was nice to get the code cleared and have the old familiar weird Prius brake feel back again too. Especially because the roads were good at the time, but I knew some weather was coming, and with ECB locked out, there would be no ABS, stability, or traction control.

-Chap

5. R_esq

R_esq New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Touring
    Yes regen braking is off. Highway miles that made nil difference to my MPG. City it would have limited my EV mode time.

I was just noting that the car is very driveable -- hopefully no one pays for a flat bed tow if it's still safe to drive simply because Toyota programmed a DTC instructing to "visit your dealer" that cannot be cleared with generic scanners that every mechanic and DIY guy has on hand!

I phoned around after ordering the cable off EBay and 3 for 3 local garages didn't know their Snap-On or Innova scanner wouldn't clear this code. None had a Techstream or TIS subscription.

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Did any of them say their scanner would let them do the bleed procedure? That seems to be the key.

What I'd remind people is it's not just regen that's locked out. It's all electronic control over the brakes ... no ABS, no brake assist, none of the brake system participation in stability control or traction control.

So, ok, don't spring for a flatbed tow ... just remember you're temporarily driving a car with safety features from 1990. :)

-Chap

7. R_esq

R_esq New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Touring
    I didn't ask the local garages whether they could do the bleed. I have an Innova that has ABS function and I know it can't. Other posts on this forum mentioned that the Snap-On can't do it either.

I have total faith in Toyota's hydraulic, non ABS braking - I put over 200,000 kms on a 91 Tercel and I still own a 99 Chev/Suzuki Metro 3 banger with no ABS.

Never had a problem stopping or going without extra gadgetry -- the C still has 500 pounds more airbags locked and loaded with the traction control disabled than my 91 Tercel ever did!

8. R_esq

R_esq New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Touring
    To close out this thread, the vehicle was driven daily with that brake code for almost two weeks.

After receiving the mini VCI order from EBay, and tracking down a notebook laptop with 32 bit Windows 7, it took me approx 2 hours to get Techstream up and running.

It then took 2 minutes to clear the code. I didn't have to run through the whole bleed procedure in Techstream, it allowed me to simply reset the code and now everything is fully functioning.

Final cost to do this first brake flush myself was under $40. When it's due again at 96,000kms the cost will be $10 versus ~ $160 at the dealer.

With this copy of Techstream I now plan to assist all of my Toyota/Lexus driving friends in disabling their annoying seatbelt chimes.