1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius c cargo space for real?

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by Expo67, Mar 21, 2013.

1. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    USA EPA Cargo space is a misleading spec now.
    Go to Toyota Canada web site if you want to get a comparative value old style measurements. Somewhere around 2010 the EPA started letting auto companies report larger cargo space.

This is apparently with seats down or something like that. If you compare Gen2 and Gen3 liftback, EPA cargo vol went from 14 to like 24. In reality it is about 1-ft3 more in Gen3.

To understand cargo space, we would need Toyota to quote us exact vol in the various spaces.
    For Gen3 there are some Toyota numbers on Youtube but still unclear. If you look at Leaf, EPA cargo volume sounds like a minivan, but this must be all seats down.

2. Expo67

Expo67 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I see your car's color is 'Moonglow' and I know it costs extra, at least in Canada. I haven't seen it. Is there much difference with the regular white (Alpine White, I believe)? Is it a satin or pearl finish? I know color choice is subjective but, now that you've had it a while, are there any particular downsides to 'Moonglow'? Good points?

3. Expo67

Expo67 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Can't understand it either. Many reviews describe the ride as brittle or harsh but that's not what I experienced. I drove the car on the Laurentian Autoroute and the towns of Ste-Adèle and St-Sauveur. Try as I may, I could not find what I would call a bad roadway. Now, mind you, a ride in downtown Montréal might have quenched any desire to own this car but I did not get the chance to find out. I did not check tire pressures, tho, and the owner took delivery six months ago. The pressures might have been low but, as the car is reportedly equipped with tire monitors, I would have seen some indication, I would think.

4. Expo67

Expo67 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I believe 17.1 cubic feet of cargo space works out to a box measuring 2.58 x 2.58 x 2.58 feet. That box, if filled with golf or ping-pong balls and poured into an empty Prius c's cargo compartment should fill it about even with the tonneau cover. Provided the published specs are correct... But, as you state, we don't know for sure how manufacturers proceed with their vehicle measurements. And there's the rub!

5. C4me

C4me Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I peeked into the hatch space of a regular prius this morning and I dont think it has more space than the C

6. B2FiNiTY

B2FiNiTY Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The regular Prius trunk is a lot deeper IMO.

7. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    The impression I got when I was looking at Prii prior to buying the c was that the liftback is a lot deeper in terms of front to back, but it's quite shallow vertically, particularly below the retractable cover.

8. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    This Australian review of the c puts the cargo capacity at 260 litres with the rear seat upright. That's 9.18 cubic feet.

Toyota Prius c | 2012 Prius c and Prius c i-Tech First Drive | Reviews | Prices | Australian specifications

EDIT: Found the Toyota Australia Press Kit.

Pressroom - Toyota - Press Kit Details

A bit of Googling suggests the VDA method originated from Germany and is essentially the use of blocks of wood that are 200 x 50 x 100 mm (7.87 x 1.97 x 3.94 inches) which happens to equal 1 litre of volume. Count up the number of these blocks you can get in the luggage compartment and you have its volume in litres under the VDA method.

9. vernon birdman

vernon birdman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    That explains it. I used to live in Dorval and drove the West Island and Montreal roads.

10. Mike27629

Mike27629 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I just packed my C3 up for its first trip to Orlando.. I have the 60 part of the back seat folded down.. I was able to fit the following in the car. 2 very large suit cases, 1 carry on size suit case , a case of water and one of soda, a 15"x10" cooler, my sons snorkeling set and, the cover for the back fit in on top of the luggage.. And ther is still room for my family of 3.. I love hatchbacks.. Now to see what kind of mileage I get.....

11. Expo67

Expo67 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I think Rob in Australia hit on something big, here. Or, you might feel, small, if you can't stash all your things in there... That Down Under press kit is certainly informative. Looks like 9.18 cubic feet is the real capacity, beneath the cover.

I guess RocMills won't be able to stuff as many stiffs in her cargo bay after all. Too bad!

12. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds about right to me...I am thinking Gen2 is apprx. 14.x under the cover with about 2 of that being the compartment under the floor...got the numbers somewhere on here.

This general issue of cargo space measurements is on my list of questions we would ask Toyota (if we had some way to forward questions from PriusChat).

13. B2FiNiTY

B2FiNiTY Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
  14. beckysuemomof2

beckysuemomof2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    I love my Moonglow C. I went to get a red one, but changed my mind when I saw the moonglow color. It didn't hurt that they offered me a great deal if I took the moonglow they had in stock... they didn't need to know that I had decided to go in that direction anyway! Unless there is a white car sitting right next to it, it looks white. If there is a white car nearby, you can tell it is different. In the sun it is a creamy sparkly color. I had a red car for the last 10 years, I am glad I tried something different. Loving my "Luna"!

15. B2FiNiTY

B2FiNiTY Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Today's "load"

Attached Files:

16. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I think an interesting stat (for us non c owners) would be to simply know how long of an item you can fit with the hatch closed and front seats in a fairly normal position (and rear seat down obviously).

17. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    These are the notes I keep in my phone:

130-140 cm length (51.2-55.1")
    100cm wide (39.4")
    72cm high (28.3")

If it's close, I measure up specifically for that item, when I have knowledge of its shape. Width is between the wheel arches. Length is a bit vague because of the front seats. Height is the shortest distance between the folded rear seat and the roof.

markabele likes this.
  18. B2FiNiTY

B2FiNiTY Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Here's a pic with a 24inch size luggage (non carry on)

Attached Files:

19. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I took these measurements a while ago; they agree pretty well with yours:

With the driver's seat about halfway back, there's 58" from the back of the seat to the hatch. Maximum width between the rear door handles is 48"; between the wheel arches is 39". Depending how much you squish the back seats when they're folded down, you have about 26" - 28" height throughout the cargo area.

20. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Another question...how much weight can you haul in a c?