1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius c Concept

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by Skoorbmax, Apr 15, 2011.

1. pudgie_child

pudgie_child Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Interesting. What you say makes sense since both the Prius and the Auris Hybrid have nearly identical fuel economy numbers in the UK test cycle: 74.3 MPG(imperial) for the Auris HSD vs. 72.4 MPG(imperial) for the 3rd-generation Prius.

While City MPG will benefit slightly from the smaller size of the Prius c, it is quite possible that Highway MPG may actually be worse in the Prius c (when compared to the standard Prius) because cars with shorter lengths tend to be relatively boxy and less aerodynamic.

2. toronado455

toronado455 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That's an excellent point. The Honda Civic sedan, for example, gets better hwy MPG than the Fit, in spite of being a heavier car with a larger, more powerful engine. I'm guessing aerodynamics are a large part of that.

3. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Article from Thailand speculates on engine sizes

And on EV mode

Bangkok Post : Toyota's small hybrids

4. toronado455

toronado455 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I sincerely hope the Prius C isn't Yaris-based.

5. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ystasino - The start button is not the same as the Smart key (SKS). Smart Key is the fob that lets the car start with with the fob in your pocket/purse. That was an option in the Gen II Prius (mine doesn't have it), but we all have the Start button regardless.

So I expect the start button to be there, but SKS, ESC, auto-parking, etc. probably won't be. Heck, I'd be okay with manual roll-up windows and no right-hand rear-view mirror, like in the old days, but I doubt that'll happen.

Being a smaller, lighter car, it may get better mileage around town, but probably would be about the same on the highway, since short cars have difficulty with aerodynamics. And it would be lighter on the pocketbook, and easier to park.

6. sofaman

sofaman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey all first post. As a long time watcher of the auto biz, I thought Toyota really hit a home run with the C concept in a way more important than the obvious marketability of "<20K, 60mpg" . . . as good as that is.

The car is cool looking. Very cool looking. This thing should capture a whole host of people that just like cool looking things. A bit simplistic? Well it's pretty hard to overstate the role style and design has played in the auto business.

While there's a legacy of Prius haters who would never touch one for it's political implications, there's also a whole bunch of car guys and girls who just saw a style they didn't care for. No offense, I've always liked the styling, but that's info I've learned from a lot of conversations.

Now, Toyota has something that breaks through the "cool" ceiling. The funny thing is, this crosses generations. Noticing some comments about attracting Scion buyers, yes that will probably happen, but in my area, I see quite a few older folks in Honda Fits and even xBs. This car has the potential to do something way beyond catching buyers who can't quite afford a regular Prius, it has the potential to move Toyota into becoming much more of a design leader and cool brand: a position that Honda once owned.

7. gippah

gippah New Member

You might be overly optimistic on its looks. I suspect the inside will be stripped down vastly from the current Prius model to where only very young people will want it.

8. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    ^^ Count me young then, even if the AARP considers me eligible. I'll keep the side mirror, but I am happy to do without the electric gadgets to save money and malfunction.

1 person likes this.
  9. edmcohen

edmcohen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Has anyone else noticed the "Prius Family" TV advertisements, showing the C Concept as promised for Spring `12 with the proviso, "prototype shown with options actual production vehicle may vary"?

Toyota Prius Family - Prius c concept

10. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's kinda hard to miss. :)

Having the concept car in there will generate interest. If it differs to much in the production model then there may be some disappointment but the commercial did it's job earlier on. It helped to shift the Prius image away from a hippie mobile or elderly care facility.

11. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Saw the print ad in last week's Time magazine as well. And my eyes were immediately drawn to the strategically placed "c". That partial moon/sun roof looks kinda weird. Wonder if it works well in real life.

I know, I know, paper mags are so 20th century, but we still get them for some reason! :)

12. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I showed the commercial to my girlfriend when it was first posted here. Last night it came on TV and she was shouting that I should come see it. while still weird it was kinda cool on tv. Keep in mind my GF thinks there is something wrong with me because of my Prius obsession. lol

13. er86

er86 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes. I found the commercial to be a bit creepy...unless I am not getting some cultural reference...

14. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Is it unusual that a car supposedly on lots in about 6 months still hasn't shown up online with production pictures?

15. Teacake

Teacake OohShiny

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've been wondering that, too, Skoorbmax! If it's coming out in a short amount of months...it has Apple-level secrecy surrounding it. ;)

16. LizKauai

LizKauai First PriusC3 owner on Kauai!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    My dealer says one will arrive next week. I am first in line for it.

17. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    He has to be lying. The car has not even been revealed at the auto show yet. The Prius v and plugin Prius have both been revealed and you still can't buy them. Your, dealer is crazy.

18. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    One what! you can get a Prius v by next week or so, but not this little bad boy yet!

Looking at the video again, it now seems bigger to me!
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-k6jcTjl9o&feature=related]Prius C Spy Video - YouTube[/ame]

19. joe1347

joe1347 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Certainly looks like a slightly smaller GenIII

20. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's more like a cross between a Prius and VW Golf.