1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius C = durable little car?

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by IndustrialFanatic, Dec 14, 2012.

1. IndustrialFanatic

IndustrialFanatic Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Yesterday my partner was driving home in our new C 2 and had an encounter with a long, curled blown tire tread laying in the middle of the freeway. :mad: The curled up part was first hit by the bumper, and then the rest was run over by both front tires and made that sickening noise under the car as it drove over. There were black streaks all over the bumper, but amazingly they wiped off, and the extent of the damage appears to be a minute scratch at the base of the bumper that's hardly noticeable unless you're looking for it. As for the undercarriage, I was only able to kneel down on the ground and shine a flashlight under there, but all looks fine from what I can see. Nothing's hanging down, no strange noises while driving, no leaks, and no warning lights on the dash. I only see a black streak on that plastic part that appears to be protecting the radiator.

My question is, are the vital components on a Prius pretty well protected under the car? Based on a photo I saw of the undercarriage, it seems that the essential stuff has plastic plating or something protecting it from the roadway. We're having it put on the lift later today just to make sure. The car's still new enough that the obsessiveness hasn't yet worn off. :)

2. RocMills

RocMills Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Glad that partner and car came through unscathed.

3. Tyintegra

Tyintegra Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    This why high aim vision (looking way ahead) is such an important skill when you are driving. Using high aim vision would have allowed plenty of time to see the tire and make a move to avoid it.

Consider yourself lucky that all it was was a piece of tire and that your partner and your car came out ok. If it was a large rock it could have been a lot worse.

Remember to always look about 10 to 15 seconds ahead of you.

4. IndustrialFanatic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I agree, but that's easier said than done while driving on a city freeway in heavy traffic. Especially in this case when it was the pickup truck driving in front of him that had the blowout. When surrounded by other cars it's safest for everyone to just let yourself run over the debris as opposed to swerving or braking hard which would result in a pileup.

secondspassed likes this.
  5. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Chance favors the prepared mind.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I would say that all the important bits are tucked up pretty good. Not much to worry about. There's always a chance of whacking something that will not be denied, but simple paying attention and driving in such a way that you don't have blind spots infront of you goes a long way in preventing that.

You can't always do that, but you often can if you try. The biggest thing is not taking it personally when some one takes up the gap in front of you that you worked so hard to make.

6. photogrl13

photogrl13 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I had a similar experience in my C2. I ran over some unknown material that swiped just under my front passenger door. I came home and eyed it and it looked bad, but most rubbed off and what didn't was mostly buffed out. I am now left with just minor scratches on the side skirt. My Civic(s) would definitely have shown a large scratch with a similar impact, so I'm impressed. Glad your partner is ok and the C isn't too worse for the wear.

7. IndustrialFanatic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Well after having the 5K mile checkup and an inspection underneath today, it again looks like we were very lucky. The worst damage they found was a tiny "crack" on the inside of the bumper that the advisor said is nothing to be concerned about. Guess we'll see. Other than that just a couple scruff marks along the belly. With the C being used as the commuter car (100 miles roundtrip a day) it's nice to see it being the safe, economical, and dependable ride for which it was bought!