1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius C - Flasher Relay

Discussion in 'Prius c Accessories and Modifications' started by AzraelA, May 8, 2014.

1. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    He may own both.

Dr_DLH likes this.
  2. kingnba6

kingnba6 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    i really hope he owns it. this would be a real lifesaver for me

3. -y0-

-y0- Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I might try to find and replace it soon. I want to replace my rear turns to LEDs instead of Silver Visions. I'll take pics whenever I get to it.

4. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Haven't been able to get the 7440 Triton V3 to anchor properly in the rounded triangular keying of the rear combination lamp housing. Tried three of the 3mm mounting screws at 120 degree offset but isn't deep enough to grab and lock into the housing.

5. Dr_DLH

Dr_DLH Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes I own both. Also did both rear third brake flashers. The flasher blinker was very difficult to get to. I dont know why they place the flasher for the blinker almost close to the windshield under the dash. I had to unplug by fill and plug in the LED flasher relay. But now I have all LED lights inside and out.

6. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I went the easy route, and put resistors in series with my turn-signal circuits.

7. Ekimf

Ekimf New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Dr Dlh, I really need to do this so I was wondering where this left panel is? Under the steering wheel? Also how did you get the panel off?

Thanks in advance!

8. SamanthaC0716

SamanthaC0716 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Same questions... What panel are you referring to?

9. SamanthaC0716

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'm almost positive I've located it... Removed lower panel on dash, adjacent to door speaker. In there, I looked all the way up and towards the back, and there is a squarish blue plastic box with plugs. That has to be it since it's the only damn blue thing I see. I've spent the last hour trying to unplug the bottom clip from it. My arms are cut up, and I can't get it. I tried with needle-nose pliers and couldn't get it. I also didn't want to damage it, but I have no idea how to get that blue part to unclip. This is ridiculous. It almost makes me want to just put regular bulbs back in... Almost.

iPhone ?

10. SamanthaC0716

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    See the blue part in this picture... I'm thinking that's it. If anyone else has any clue, please let me know. I've given up for tonight.

IMG_3627.JPG

iPhone ?

11. SamanthaC0716

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Did some reading last night after I forfeited the battle. (Still hoping to win the war...)

Back in the car this morning, and I apparently got blood on my front seat from where I cut my hand... Lovely. Anyway, looking at people with the regular Prius, that blue square looks like their relay, though their's is apparently just under the steering wheel.

Heading into work and hoping someone chimes in before I'm back at fighting with that stupid plug. I can't figure out where the tabs are / where to apply pressure to just unclip it.

iPhone ?

12. SamanthaC0716

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'll continue to talk to myself... Haha.

So, I was able to get the bottom part of that blue guy unclipped. I then couldn't get my damn new relay plugged into either the harness part that had unclipped from it or into the part of the blue guy that was still mounted.

While I had it unplugged, I went to turn the car on to see whether turning the turn signal would now not make the 'click', but I got the warning on the screen about "hybrid system failure", or something to that effect... That was enough to scare me into just plugging that stupid piece back in. (And all is well now.)

I have an oil change scheduled Monday and am going to ask the service tech. to install the new relay. I figure they have access to whatever schematics will reveal where the damn relay is relocated in the first place. I thought that blue part that I posted the picture of was it, but I doubt unplugging a turn signal relay would warrant the error message it did... Seems a bit dramatic. Ha!

iPhone ?

13. sph101

sph101 Prius 4

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Is this the relay you installed??

8 Pin LED Flasher Relay Fix for Lexus Toyota Scion LED Turn Signal Light Bulbs | eBay

14. Dr_DLH

Dr_DLH Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
  15. SamanthaC0716

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Hi! Can you look at my posts and tell me whether that blue plastic piece that I put a picture up of is the relay?

iPhone ?

16. SamanthaC0716

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    So, I'm at the dealer for an oil change, and I ask them whether they can tell me the location of the turn signal relay. I had to explain this to two separate people. I then am given an estimate of $65. They want $65 to tell me where a relay is, not even to change it... I'm asking to be told where it is! I laughed. I need to start changing my own oil. I can't stand coming to the dealership.

iPhone ?

17. Dr_DLH

Dr_DLH Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    yeah I hear you, I would invest in a full service manual if you can locate one.

18. SamanthaC0716

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'm back to obsessing over locating this... I miss having the LEDs in for the turn signals and really don't want to use resistors. I also already ordered and have the relay. I just don't know where the Hell the stock one is.

Dr_DLH, can you PLEASE describe where you found it? I remember exchanging some messages before but can still not understand where you are talking about it being.

19. AzraelA

AzraelA Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been watching and waiting for someone to figure this out. Every now and then I get bored and sit in the car trying to find it.

Recently I had a very strange occurrence happen. The 12v battery was very low and the system could not boot up so the DC-DC transformer couldn't charge the 12v. Ended up needing a jump. None the less, while it was freaking out trying to boot on a low 12v battery, I decided to turn on the four ways. Because in the past when in a normal car, if the 12v is low the flasher circuit won't work as fast because the bimetal tab can't heat up enough to click. Well with the Prius being low on power the blinkers flashed very very fast, totally opposite. This leads me to believe while it may be a module it may not be a module like we are thinking is in a normal car.

20. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    There is no flasher relay on the 'v' wagon (flashers controlled by part of a larger board-level module), and that may also be the case with the 'c'.