1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius C Fuel Economy Reading?

Discussion in 'Prius c Fuel Economy' started by cody b, May 2, 2012.

1. cody b

cody b New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Five
    Every time I turn the car on, the "from start" fuel economy reading resets to 15l/100k. After driving for a while it goes down to 4l/100k but then resets back to 15 once the car is turned off. Is there any way to get it to stay at what it finished at?

2. Ashley7

Ashley7 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I'm in the US, so I'm not sure what differences there are, but... The "From start" reading (at least here) is supposed to reset every time. It's just measuring your fuel economy from start to stop on that one trip. Ours resets to 0.0 mpg each time. If you want to know the average of more than one jaunt, you have to use the Trip meters (A and B ). It seems like most people are using one to track the average over the life of the car (if you can manage to never accidentally reset it), and one to track the average for each tank of gas.

3. sjb110

sjb110 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Are you viewing 'trip 1' or 'trip 2', or 'odometer'? trip 1-2 will not reset unless you manually reset it...the trip button on your steering wheel will cycle through the three.

4. cody b

cody b New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks for your reply. Mine does reset but not to 0 which is the problem. It resets to 15l/100k so my cost rating is way off. Just wondering if there is a way to get it to reset to 0 instead.

5. cody b

cody b New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Five
    No, its viewing it on the main scree for the odometer. It should reset to 0 but instead resets to 15l/100k

6. Shibby

Shibby Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    15l/100k = 0mpg.

If it started you at 0l, that would be the equivalent of starting US spec cars at ∞mpg, which isn't true.

7. jamesguy13

jamesguy13 YoungPrius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    It starts at 15 L/100km when you turn it on because the gas engine kicks in when you start it to charge the battery. I have had times where it does start at 0 L/100kmm because I had just been driving my Prius c earlier in the day and it didnt need to engage the gas engine for start up.

Don't worry it won't mess with your L/100km over a trip.

8. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    cody your dealing with Metric. That is how it works! H

9. cody b

cody b New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Five
    15l/100k is the equivalent to 15mpg as well, they equal the same in the middle at 15. Can use any conversion tool to check.

10. cody b

cody b New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Five
    Talked to the dealer. It is an incorrect reading and they have contacted Toyota about it. 15l/100k is the equivalent to 15mpg. If I drive for 1 min, it says the consumption was 14l. Will update once I hear back from Toyota.

11. hpauly

hpauly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Upgrade
    I too am in Canada and I find that the 15L/100km only comes at start if the engine is cold or has been sitting for a while. as you drive the L/100km starts to drop like a rock as mine goes from 15 to 10 to 8 to 6 to 5 fairly quickly.
    If I am out doing errands and make multiple stops I find that my additional restarts are at 0L/100km when the engine does not kick in at start.
    I think once the weather gets much warmer up here, it will lessen the effect and staying power of 15L/100km. I have had the car since the end of March and have noticed that now that is getting warmer out, the engine does not stay on as long first thing in the morning
    My car is averaging about 4.4L/100km over a 4000km average, so I am not too concerned.

12. Koolfreak

Koolfreak Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Same thing here, and it's normal...