1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius C Fuel Efficiency Tips

Discussion in 'Prius c Fuel Economy' started by ldpinkberry21, Mar 29, 2012.

1. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    ^Not just you, most people are accustomed to accelerating far more rapidly than the c allows for (if you want to keep the RPMs low enough to stay out of PWR range), and this includes the public at large who may be barreling towards you from behind. ;)

2. theagenty

theagenty New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    I've been trying to stay under it! but the "friendly" drivers of so cal do not appreciate me trying to get my max mpg lol. :rolleyes:

and you would think with gas prices averaging round 4.15ish where I am, they would care more...

1 person likes this.
  3. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm sure it's bad in LA, but it is not confined to there. More pain required, I guess. Getting there 5 minutes earlier (if fortunate) is still more important.

4. dig4dirt

dig4dirt MoonGlow

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    You also have to factor in that some are upset you are saving in gas consumption.
    They are furious that they are not but are in front of them. haha.
    Just just dont have patience and are not afraid to show it!

5. j_benj

j_benj Prius C Fan

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    NJ is no better! I've been rage-passed more times this past week than I have in my entire life. More often than not it's either a guy in a HUGE pickup truck or a tie-wearing dude in an Audi/BMW/Mercedes doing it, too. I wish I had a rear cam that let me take videos of their rage-faces LOL I'd have a hit YouTube channel in no time.

6. jsfabb

jsfabb Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just some quick thoughts in no specific order:

1. The people driving the fastest and in the most inefficient manner are the biggest Pickup Trucks and SUVs.

2. When you think about it, HOV lanes should not be for hybrids, since they get their best mileage in local driving/traffic.

3. I find it more efficient in slower traffic from a stop or local roads to accelerate using the ICE at a moderate pace to about 30 mph and then use the EV (not the mode) to maintain. I am amazed at how far I can go without depleting the battery too much.

4. Use your 1 min Consumption Chart as a 1 min Report Card

5. Use the Power Mode when you have to maintain speed up a hill.

6. I hardly ever use the Eco Mode anymore. I find that using the Normal mode, I can make quicker adjustments to my speed and then get back into SHM (by the "O" in ECO) when on the highway.

7. Drafting about 1 second behind a larger vehicle adds about 15 - 20 mpgs onto my 1 min chart. Normal 62 - 64 mph gets me about 55 mpg. Drafting gets me about 70 mpg

8. They should require and instantaneous fuel gauge on every vehicle that can't be disabled. If people can see how much gas they waste then most people will change their driving habits.

7. PriusCinBlack

PriusCinBlack Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

All GREAT comments. Especially numbers 3, 7 and 8.

As for 3, I just started noticing this. Don't use the EV to accelerate- use it to maintain lower (25-40 mph) speeds. Just barely engage the EV, when possible, as you don't get much more power engaging it hard, AND you can go for miles without a recharge if only using a sliver on the power bar. Further, using the ICE to accelerate makes better use of the bigger "bang" of gasoline than maintaining engine speed does.

I'm also finding drafting (safely) to be my #1 technique at higher speeds. This car, with its light weight, is highly susceptible to drag. It's a big deal.

Finally, I completely agree with 8. I think all cars should have the instant feedback of how good of mpg people are getting. Most people could be using hypermiling techniques, but since they don't get the feedback they never see the difference that is actually made unless they can maintain it through a whole tank (which they won't without reinforcement).

8. jsfabb

jsfabb Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think we should call this The Big Bang Theory!!! :)

9. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Jsfab,

Regarding item #2. That is a common misconception. The HOV lane access was designed to reward drivers for purchasing fuel efficient vehicles. It worked too. Many people in the heavy traffic areas of California bought a hybrid for access in this lane. People were simply not going to be bothered with car pooling so HOV lane access was a good idea. Allowing gas guzzlers into the fast lane simply rewards people for buying inefficient vehicles AND pushes them to drive faster which is less efficient and unsafe. That would be a very dumb idea.

10. d1morgj0

d1morgj0 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am practicing all of these tips on this forum while I still have my current car, as I won't be getting my C until late summer early fall... Should be more than ready by then I say!!

11. jsfabb

jsfabb Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I know exactly what you are saying, but just think it's kind of ironic.

Maybe the name should be changed since HOV stands for High Occupancy Vehicle. Maybe a better name is FEV, Fuel Efficient Vehicles. Even though the usage wouldn't change, it would make more sense. It would take into account electric/hybrid vehicles and less efficient vehicles with more than person.

One thing I have noticed is that buses are allowed in the HOV lane on Long Island even if there is only the driver with no passengers.

12. frugaldriver

frugaldriver Ceterum censeo Carthaginem delendam esse - Cato

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, assuming that there is more than one person driving (which most of the time I see a suv it has only the driver), the fuel economy per occupant increases. A 50 mpg vehicle with one person would be the same as a 25 mpg vehicle with 2 people in it. Though HOV lanes may not spurn the increase of more fuel efficient vehicles, it does at least improve the way they are driven.

13. MpgMiser

MpgMiser New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Hey, its hard to go from stomping on the gas pedal to a more reasonable
    flow.
    If my father inlaw had not introduced me to high economy cars more than 25yrs ago, it'd probably be the same for me
    The most important thing is to get a sense of the vehicle,its weight per motion and go from there
    I don't feather or anything when starting out, just a easy not much thinking of it forward movement, nothing that jerks the vehicle, and thats it
    My thought has always been, not only will this be easy on gas,but especially on the drivetrain itself
    Most of my cars, some being very dilapidated,lasted far beyond their years because of this very principle

14. I was reading about the CA carpool lane article the other day... but this makes sense, especially considering all the shuttle buses that go as fast as they can anyway. I suppose if you're a midnight janitor you could avoid most of the traffic

About using it as an electric car, some of the roads around here people go 50mph on them anyway so going that speed charges the battery anyway. I've tried drafting on both vehicles, not much difference for me... * shrug *

So true about SUVs as well. I had one and even then I got 27mpg on the highway, and 20-25mpg in street traffic... I would try to count the number of cars behind me. Is there a such thing as hypermiling an SUV? ^_^
    (Hills are still my worst enemy, uugh I'm losing speed again)

15. jsfabb

jsfabb Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Basically, any vehicle in front of you that will block some wind is worthy of hypermiling behind. The bigger the vehicle the better.

16. c_drive

c_drive New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I just picked up a 2013 Prius c 2. I was trying to pulse and glide this morning, and was wondering if it was better on the pulse to go into the power area, or keep it in the eco area.

17. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Depends on the hill length, steepness and slope. :) It's something you'll learn through experimentation.

18. Fauxknight

Fauxknight Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three

If you are getting solid forward movement and/or acceleration out of running in the eco area then that is probably your best option. If you feel you aren't making any progress, then it might be time to punch it into the power zone. Highway acceleration, hills, and sometimes the traffic conditions will simply require more power, but the Eco area of the ICE is usually the best place to be.

minkus and ztanos like this.
  19. iSphinx

iSphinx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I like this thread! So helpful and useful especially for a newbie!

minkus likes this.
  20. Phil 29 Palms CA

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Do not forget to increase your tire pressure. The dealer that sold you your Prius C probably put about 35 PSI of air in the tires. Increasing the pressure to 40 PSI will improve your MPG. I do not go above 40 PSI because it provides a bumpIer ride and also for tire safety reasons.