1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius c: Hybrid is among hottest-selling small cars in years

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Rybold, Mar 30, 2012.

1. JeffHastings

JeffHastings Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    "And when you think Compact, you are thinking Gremlin..."

Takes me back to 1972; a Jolly Green AMC Gremlin was my first car, not a bad little ride but get this - it's 20 MPG was considered good mileage at that time. My 2011 Prius is my 8th owned car.

2. strongbad

strongbad Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Regarding the c and the different option levels: I would be much more inclined to open my wallet for drive train improvements rather than the gimmicky trim differences currently offered. For example, using the level 1 as the starting point, the level II could have rear disk brakes standard as well as decent alloy wheels. The level III could have lithium ion batteries, dropping the weight and improving gas mileage. The level IV could have plug in capability with a short 5 mi range on pure electric. These are things I'd pony up for. I don't need no damnstinkin entune or fake leather seats and won't pay for them even if IIIs and IVs are all the dealers get.

3. Erikon

Erikon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I agree with you that this should be how it works in a perfect world, but we have to look at it from a manufacturing perspective. There really is only one C, the toys and frills Toyota uses to differentiate a I from a IV are inexpensive for the company to add and results in a lot of profit! Different brakes, batteries and a plug in would require at least three different assembly lines, instead of one! Plus the li-ion pack is still new, Toyota is very conservative and they'll roll out these as they prove reliable!;)

4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    No reason why you couldn't do this on the same line. I agree with what you said about the lithium, and Toyota will do extensive testing before offering a plug. Upgraded brakes, on the other hand, is a common option in car models. It just requires putting in a different part, which the line is already doing with seats, push button start, and navigation. It can also be done with other suspension parts. The 5 already has a different steering rack.

5. Erikon

Erikon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Toyota could do it, but it would be more expensive for them. The C IV is probably produced at a low volume compared to the I through III models, a couple days of production a month. Electronics like nav and push button start are easy to plug in on the line. If rear disc brakes were available it would be cheapest to make that standard on all levels, pushing up the sticker price accordingly.

6. cpfans4

cpfans4 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    After talking to someone who works in an assembly plant they make cars by the build sheet that the chasis has on it. They don't build all 1 model one day and 4 models another. You could build a 1 then a 4 then another 1 then maybe a 2. As the car goes by the worker looks at the build sheet and adds the neccessary parts.

7. Erikon

Erikon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That may be the way it is these days, my only knowledge of assembly lines was from the 80's, when I had a friend who worked on a truck line. They would do 2x4 trucks on x days, and 4x4's on y days. This was back when you had to stop, get out of the truck and turn a knob on the front wheels to engage four wheel drive!:p

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Correct. Each car to be made has a kakashiki (hope I spelled it right) card which is an order sheet (blueprint if you will) of what options, what colour, LHD or RHD and so forth the car will have.

9. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    53 mpg city: Think about it when you're stuck in congestion | Hybridcarblog

10. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    $20k for a car that gets 50 mpg released into a market nearing record gas prices, I knew this thing would sell :)

11. 2sk21

2sk21 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    This is right on the mark for me. Living in the New York City area, I often get stuck in jams. Unlike the non-hybrids out there, the engine does not come on and waste gas while creeping forward in the traffic.

In these kind of highly congested conditions, my old V6 Camry never got over 20 MPG whereas my Prius v gives me well over 50MPG. [Note that I am not talking about average fuel economy - only about highly congested roads].

12. bdub

bdub New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
  13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not sure using the Fiat 500 is a reasonable comparison since the 500 usually isn't bought solely for fuel economy (though the high-ish numbers do help). It's targeting a slightly different market than the Prius c.

14. bugly64

bugly64 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Gov't intervention leads to waste of tax money(betting on about to go bankrupt companies), loss of freedom (not being allowed to purchase cars you might want to), and the price of manufacturing vehicles exploding. Do we really need a bigger Gov't?

15. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Bigger no. But yes we need government because many people are too ignorant to do what is best for the country. Freedom of choice ends when it negatively affects the lives of others, I.e. gas guzzlers with minimal or zero emissions equipment.

1 person likes this.
  16. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    the 'merican 'tude of "I'll do what i want, be damned the rest of you" is dooming us...and not enough counter-attitudes to change that...my pessimistic view, of course. I do see the $$$ will change most folks mind. and that is sad too. But it is a motivator to change behavior of wastefulness.

17. mmcdonal

mmcdonal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I am not sure if you can assert "no other reason" with merely anecdotal evidence. Gas prices have stabilized and are dropping. Many people are finally replacing cars, while manufacturers are starting to bring prices back up - very much higher than they have been - so this looks like a deal. I don't think you would have a back order of 120K units for a new vehicle because gas prices moved up to an area it has been before, and it is dropping.

In the states, there are longer distances to travel, and many trucks are owned by contractors who have to cart their tools and laborers around with them. When the Euros started exporting cars to the states in the early 60's, they would just blow up because the manufacturers didn't realize the realities of the distances that the motors would need to go at full tilt (with tighter gear ratios and higher final drive ratios.) You can get a fully loaded pick up to highway speed at cruise at 1500 - 2500 rpm all day.

I agree that most people who drive pick ups in the states just want to play truck, and don't need them at all. But consider, bigger people need bigger cars - that is a commentary on the girth of baby boomers. Most young people these days are smaller and into skinny, so perhaps the compact seems normal to them. (I saw a married young guy with a child wearing skinny jeans and suede saddle shoes today - and he was with his wife, so not gay (totally nothing wrong with that.) Do young guys wear girls skinny jeans now?) Ew.

18. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I'm ok with my neighbors not buying Sherman tanks, ymmv

Other than that, I have not experienced your concerns.

19. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Payback is the wrong way to think about it, unless you are buying with cash.

If you are financing, you care about monthly payment (car loan PLUS gas), you want to minimize that. For a Prius C, Toyota is offering 3.7 percent loans for 60 months. This amounts to $18.28 per 1000 borrowed. If the hybrid premium is $4,000, you need to save $73.13 per month in gas. At $4.00 per gallon that is 18.28 gallons per month.

Comparing it to a 30 MPG car, you need to drive more than 1371 miles per month to come out ahead (before you pay off the loan). A commute of about 34 miles one way, and no other driving. Or about 16.5k miles per year.

20. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    lol. Lots of hipster guys riding fixies wearing skinny jeans.

I've seen a family of 5 on a small motorcycle in Asia. Lots of reasons to like trucks, but they don't get good mileage.

The success of the prius c seems very like the success earlier of the ford ranger. Low TCO and it does something extra. In the ranger it was able to haul or have a large number of friends in the bed. The prius c is more expensive than the ranger was but gets great mileage. For those that wanted a "hybrid" high mpg car but didn't want to pay as much for a prius and didn't really care about hauling more than the prius c or the back seat, well its a great choice.

They should allow you to put 16" alloys on a level 2, hell bigger rims are standard on the chevy sonic.