1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius C hybrid system failure

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by eggwah123, Jan 24, 2014.

1. eggwah123

eggwah123 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Something terrible happened to my Prius C, just over 1 year old, this morning. While driving at a speed around 60km/h, suddenly there was a 'ding' and a message appeared: hybrid system failure, stop immediately safely. The car then lost power within one minutes or so and could not be restarted. I managed to stop it at the roadside. This car as I said is just over one year old, fully serviced by Toyota.
    This was a very dangerous situation, especially so if driving on the motorway.
    The car got towed to the Toyota dealer by NRMA where I bought and service the car.
    This was the first issue I have with this car. It was very scary.
    Anyone have similar experience?

2. wmo168

wmo168 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    This only happen when the battery die, let the dealer look at it and keep us posted!

3. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Did you run out of gas? I've read about this situation in two different scenarios... 1) ran out of gas, 2) 12v battery wasn't holding enough of a charge.

stevemcelroy and ftl like this.
  4. eggwah123

eggwah123 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    The fuel tank got two bars on. Not empty, according to the display.
    The 12v battery? Is it the big one under the rear seat?
    I have no charging problem at all until this horrible event. And the car is just over one year old.

5. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    No, it's the little one under the seat.

6. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    This happened once on one of our Gen 2's, turned out to be the cooling pump for the inverter had failed. Without it the inverter would quickly overheat and damage itself, so the system has to shut down soon after. Not sure if the C has the same big red triangle light or not, but generally when you see a message like this you should pull over asap to protect the car and/or yourself. Its more like a red oil pressure or overheating light that means "pull over now" on a traditional vehicle, vs. a yellow check engine light that you can generally wait and get checked out at some point when its convenient. Glad you're ok, will be interesting to see what they say.

7. kingnba6

kingnba6 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    in to see the problem

8. KYBlue

KYBlue Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    <Popcorn>

cwerdna likes this.
  9. eggwah123

eggwah123 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    We are having a long weekend here in Sydney. Australia Day. Will know the prognosis on Tue, hopefully.

10. eggwah123

eggwah123 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Still no diagnosis from my dealer yet. Am contacting Toyota Australia but no reply yet. Any recommendation of where or who to contact about the issue?

11. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I wouldn't panic. I assume you're well within your warranty and whatever it is will get taken care of by the dealer/toyota. There is no such thing as a part/vehicle with 0 failures, so even on a vehicle as reliable as Prius has proven to be these things will happen. Still sucks to be the one they happen to, I know :( Until they give you some reason to think that they aren't going to stand behind the car, I wouldn't think there is much to do at this point, except calling to make sure they are working on it :)

12. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I'm interested to hear what the dealer finds too.

13. eggwah123

eggwah123 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    After two days, Toyota finally found out what happened to my Prius c and fixed the car. It was a faulty fuel gauge. The car got no fuel in it but the displays indicated two bar left
    Did not think of that until the diagnosis.
    Fuel gauge faults can be very dangerous too as the car suddenly lose power. Anyone have the same problem? Heard of something similar?

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    excellent diagnosis!

ztanos likes this.
  16. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, though not in a Prius. 'My' first car (as opposed parents' cars driven for some years before that) ran out of fuel with the gauge still above E. Fortunately it was in a parking space, on a very slight incline, not moving.

As for sudden loss of power, I have also experienced that many times in past cars. Both that car, and the primary old car I drove before that, were prone to unexpected engine stalls, so I learned to handle complete loss of power steering assist and rapidly failing power brake assist. The next car suffered a broken timing belt, with instant total loss of power, in the middle of a busy interstate commute. My little sister also suffered timing belt failure in a similar car on the same highway some years earlier. I had to lend her my car so she could get to her new job, while I carpooled to mine until repair was done.

All of these sudden power losses, mine and my sister's, were handled safely. Maybe we just became conditioned to be ready for them.

How long had your fuel gauge been at 2 bars? My liftback (different than your 'c') normally runs very coarsely 50 miles per bar. But when it reaches 2 bars, it should have about 200 miles left. I'd really notice if the gauge got stuck and hadn't budged for over 100 miles.

17. SwhitePC

SwhitePC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Okay I guess one more reason for me to stop running my gauge into the lower ends, and refill at halfway point to be safe-er

18. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hopefully some more 'c' owners can chime in. I seem to remember reading multiple cases of 'c' owners reporting some sort of conflicting indication (DTE = 0 at 2 bars ???), so there may be some issue here.

19. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    No. If you have an equivalent body of NHTSA (File a Safety Complaint | Safercar.gov | NHTSA ) in Australia, I'd file a safety complaint with them.

20. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    It isn't a real safety issue as you still have the Hybrid drive system to get yourself off the road once your ICE dies from lack of gas. Well, I guess it could be if you are low on battery...