1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius C in cold weather...

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by kndy, Dec 7, 2016.

1. kndy

kndy Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Greetings everyone,

I have a quick question...first time experiencing cold weather in California (Which is nothing to many of you in the East Coast) and noticed...

I was late to work today as my windows were frozen. It took forever to defrost and also while I was driving to work the condensation in my interior windows were still there. Never had this issue with previous vehicles..

Usually, turn my car on, put the heat and defrost on and crank it full blast and within minutes, I'm good to go. But for my C, man..I felt it was taking nearly 10 minutes and still my front window was frozen. Until I realized, ECO was on (which I have kept on since Summer), so turned that off.

Also, realizing during the winter, for just this recent gas fill-up...I actually had to get gas nearly ten days later...previously, I was able to get gas every three weeks. Is it because the winter gas change or this is something to expect during the Winter of fill-ups like I would experience with my previous non-hybrid cars?

Thanks in advance.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe start your car and let it warm up on cold mornings, or get a block heater. if by 'had to get gas nearly 10 days later' you mean your mpg's are going down, yes, hybrids suffer even more than gassers because they have to run the engine more to maintain temp and provide heat if necessary. and winter gas is also a reason.

3. kndy

kndy Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Thanks . What do you all do in the East Coast, it's one thing for us to get 20-30 degree weather but for those of you that have snow and temperatures in the teens or lower...that must be difficult and I can't imagine how long you guys have to warm your vehicles up.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm in an unheated garage, so no frost issues. but if i'm parked outside, i scrape the outside of the window, and blast the defroster inside. doesn't take any longer than a gasser, except the upper part of the windshield.
    the c might be different, i don't know. block heater and remote start for some people, that's for sure.

5. Bigboi

Bigboi Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    The baby C with its tiny combined 99hp engines take a while to warm up! I notice usually in summer my range is 412 miles. Now at 20 degree F it's 380 miles after fill up what is going on big boy??

6. 1. Go out to the car.
    2. Preheat the car. (Lock a 2nd key inside.)
    3. Go back in and have breakfast.
    4. Come back to the car later.
    5. Enjoy a defrosted and warm windshield. :cool:
    Works all the way down to -20 degrees.

#6 Deleted member 111882, Dec 12, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2016
    Bigboi likes this.
  7. Sean Nelson

Sean Nelson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    I got one of these electric car interior heaters. I plug it in about half an hour or so before I plan to leave and it warms up the cabin without using any gas at all.

Bigboi likes this.
  8. Bigboi

Bigboi Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    We had 0 degree F weather for a week and I noticed I'm filling up more frequently too. Winter is nuts on this particular hybrid and the eco mode throttles the HVAC fo sho I turn it off for the first time after a year and notice the car is zippier I like it off! Vroom vroom takes me back to my V8 corvette days (kinda)