Prius C in the snow?

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by tnt4him, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Sean Nelson

Sean Nelson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    I'm pretty happy with the Michelin X-Ice XI3 tires I put on my Prius C a couple of weeks ago. I bought them because they received a good rating from Consumer Reports.

Vancouver has recently had one of it's rather rare snow events, and I've been out in the evening in just-below-zero weather shooting photos of Christmas lights. The Prius C with the Michelins went up roads with probably about 6% grades that were covered with compacted ice-ish snow without missing a beat. They've also proven to be quite quiet on wet or dry pavement, which I appreciate. The only downside is that Consumer Reports rated them less than average for wet traction, which is important here in the rainforest.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  2. LasVegasaurusRex

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    just be careful with the pedal, HSD introduces a lot of torque steer.

3. Sean Nelson

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    If you're driving in the snow or on ice and you're being affected by torque steer then you're not driving properly. Easy does it is the way to go, both for accelerating and decelerating.

4. rhodeislandhntr

rhodeislandhntr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Small amount of snow this morning, stock tires and first time with the C in the snow, it handled it great. The others drivers are the issue. Might get another 4 to 8 inches tommorrow, will try it again then.

5. Sean Nelson

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Yeah, when traffic on the arterial streets seizes up I find that it's a lot faster to take the side streets, even if they're not cleared. I've yet to find a street that the C with snow tires can't handle.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Lapsed Cargo Cultist

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah, it was nice to have a more-or-less white Christmas for a change.

Purely editorial: I hate that term the weather officials have: "snow events". Similarly there's "rain events", "arctic outflow events", and others. "Vancouver had some snow" works too. We've got to fight back against officialdom verbosity, lol.

7. spitfire2674

spitfire2674 New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    I have the same car. I am one terrible scaredy cat, and haven't driven mine yet since purchase of 4/2016. i let it sit and let someone else do the driving. what am i doing wrong. i need the right tires i think.

8. rhodeislandhntr

rhodeislandhntr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Drove mine in the last 2 storms, stock tires, slow and easy, car handles better than my 2015 4wd silverado. I never felt like I wasn't in control.

9. MarsiaMS

MarsiaMS New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Base
    I traveled all over Northern BC and a bit of Alberta with my Prius C and studded tires. Never was stuck, never ended up in a ditch. A bit of snow os fine, although cannot get through a thick layer of snow. This was never a necessity though. While it snows a lot up here, roads are always clear enough for my Prius.