1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius c is 'Aqua' in Japan. Will return 94mpg japan cycle (61 us)

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by slayerhk47, Sep 28, 2011.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This car is really starting to bug me. I love my Genii and have done plenty of mods which will likely make it harder to sell or trade in. I struggle to get 57mpg due to my commute whereas I could drive a new c and struggle to get 70mpg. 70mpg just sounds so sexy despite the minimal difference in fuel cost . The c will likely look better than my car too. Uggg

2. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Weight is predominant in the city and for acceleration. When you reduce the weight you can spend more time in the efficient band of the engine. But I'm skeptical that it would be 61mpgUS. The EPA testing is significantly tougher and I think the highway numbers will bring the average down.

However, they've kept the 1.8L. I think that's a combination of cost and highway efficiency.

My wife raised the idea of replacing the Civic and handing it down to her son in case of his car conking out. She doesn't like the Prius for various reasons, but maybe a lighter, more responsive version could persuade her. And if they can bring a base model with cruise in at $20k it might be a good early purchase. And, a more efficient Prius would be our 2-person trip car too. ;)

3. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The pricing is one factor, but with good NEDC numbers and a base model that cuts out unnecessary stuff to keep the price down it'd be a bigger draw. They could also manufacture in Europe to lower costs.

4. krousdb

krousdb NX-74205

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Prius C presumably has a smaller frontal area. A reduction in frontal area along with a possible reduction in Cd could result in a much lower CdA. Couple that with the torquey 1.8L and I wouldn't be surprised to see 1200 RPM's cruising at 70 MPH. No problem for 60+ MPG on the highway.

5. GWhizzer

GWhizzer not so Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm sorry to say that I agree with you. I'm still often surprised and that fear and fud associated with hybrids that I get more often that not when discussing my prius. Having said that, if they can price it aggressively and with a minimal premium over competing compacts, I'd like to think common sense will prevail...

6. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hybrids are:
    - slow
    - batteries need replacing constantly
    - consume more fuel than diesels
    - gay
    - worse for the environment than tractor trailers
    - etc.
    - :D

7. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    ^^ LOL. Well said :) :)

8. gippah

gippah New Member

I would expect this thing to be virtually stripped of interior options to differentiate it in the market it from the standard Prius. If it does not have a cheap, cramped econobox feel on the inside of the car that is devoid of anything comfortable or modern, I will be very surprised.

Think about it. There are two markets for this Prius:

1) Current Prius owners who want more
    2) People who want a Prius but can't afford one

Toyota would be financially stupid to be targeting the first group with this car. It would only make sense to make this vehicle if +MPG means -comfort/options.

A lot of you may not actually want it once you see it or drive it.

9. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    ^^
    The thought occurred to me too. My guess is that the iconic Prius will continue to be a technology showcase, while this 'C' will hopefully be a no frills, but well made, safe small car.

Truth be told, I just do not care much about nav or bluetooth or LKA or entunes or ...

10. sharol46

sharol46 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That isn't entirely true. I was a very happy owner of a 2001 Prius for 7 years. I sold it when I was offered too much for it to turn it down. I've regretted it every since.

I have no desire for the larger car that the Prius has morphed into. I liked my "little" car very much, thank you, and I'm looking for an environmentally friendly car about that size. I'm hoping that this new car will be about that size or a little bit smalller. I don't care about NAV or fancy audio systems or sunroofs.

I think there is a huge market for the C to people like me -- people that the newer Prius models have outgrown. I have the money for whatever Prius I want, and I want a smaller one. I just wish they would get on the stick and post a real picture or two and some real specifications.

11. LizKauai

LizKauai First PriusC3 owner on Kauai!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Our dealer says one is arriving next week. If I like it, I hope to trade in my '06 for it.

12. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I think the "c" will be a huge hit. It has the potential to outsell the "v".

13. Teacake

Teacake OohShiny

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Will you takes lots and lots of pictures please? :D And I hate to rain on the parade, but I'm betting it's a V minivan and he was confused.

14. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A c? I can tell you now your dealer isn't getting a Prius c in next week. Or next month. Or this year.
    Agreed.

I expect the c to be heavily stripped even from a normal prius. That means likely no auto-climate and possibly even cheaping out on things like not having one-button up/down windows on all four. No matter, if it's a ~$20k car that pulls 60 or close to 60 mpg it will still move tons of units. At that point also Honda should just admit defeat and cancel its Insight production. Just give up.

15. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Saying the car is 'stripped' is a loaded term. I say it hopefully lacks expensive, easy to break frivolities that add little to the car's value (to me.)

E.g., my 'loaded' Prius has a garage opener, Bluetooth, and audio that has not been used in months. Of all the frills, I really only find value in adjustable heated seats, nav, and safety. Thankfully, safety has pretty much become standard except for knee airbqgs.

16. gippah

gippah New Member

I still have a 2001 Prius. It is not a small car, it is not an econobox. The Classic will be nothing like the Prius C. Frankly, I'm not sure what you are talking about. The Classic Prius was bigger on the inside than a Corolla, and for a 2001 Toyota it had a ton of features.

17. sharol46

sharol46 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    No, I know that it won't be "like" my classic Prius. I wouldn't expect it to be 10 years later. However, the wheelbase is reported to be about the same length as the classic (of the C), so I'm hopeful it will be smaller than the Gen III Prius.

My classic had amazing amenities (remote door locks, securely locking trunk (but no trunk release), and temperature control), but no cruise control. That wasn't available until 2002. I didn't mean to imply that it was stripped down, because it wasn't. There were only two options, the radio/or CD player/or CD changer and fancy floor mats. It didn't feel small on the inside, but it was extremely easy to park and navigate because of the outside dimensions of the car. It had great knee room and legroom in the back, too. It just seemed smaller because it was not as long as the newer ones. And I PREFER a smaller car. If I didn't, I would have ordered the plug in.

18. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Given the way the Prius has been going (offering high tech toys normally found in cars costing 2x as much), it seems like Toyota wants to move the Prius upmarket and use the Prius c to fill in behind. Toyota's doing the same with the Corolla. In Canada, we can get a Corolla LE with heated cloth seats, bluetooth, Smart Key System, 10-way power driver's seat, automatic climate control, optitron gauges and so forth.

19. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    ~ 60 MPG is very exciting! :)

I also like the name Aqua and the aqua color (8V7) included in the choices, which is very similar to the nice aqua color of my 1985 Corolla (8A8). Unfortunately, the brochure is showing the aqua color as only available for the base model L though. :(

20. gippah

gippah New Member

My 2001 Prius has cruise control so it was definitely available.

It also has other options that people seem to think didn't exist, such as a glass breakage sensor, leather seats and trim, etc.

I do love the car. I have been through 3 Corollas since 2000, but only 1 Prius.